Observed Trials banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been to few different names of brake adapters and snapped them off including the pricy one. I got the Formula (second hand) just few months ago and used without issues so far. Felt solid and heavier than those snapped. I was looking for similar as back-up but couldn't find one, instead I tried the shimano then arrived yesterday. Upon comparison, there is a slight difference in position, though clearance and centering were fine. What are the significant differences about the positions of the caliper?
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Bicycle wheel

Bicycle Crankset Wheel Bicycle hub Bicycle frame

·
Registered
695 Posts
+40 adapters are the problem. It's just too much torque; although that Formula adapter does looks very stout. If you're snapping 203 adapters with a 2 piston brake, why not got to 180? Seems like power is not a problem. Going to 180 will give you stronger adapters and rotors; they're lighter and harder to damage as well.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
this will be my last adapters, if ever it snapped 180 will be the next thing to spend. I am just curious if the position of each caliper between formula and shimano has advantages or disadvantages.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i have managed to go for 180mm rotor as recommended. Got the right torque on the bolts, But.... just practicing pedal kick gap to another ledge... then
Bicycle Wheel Tire Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
By the way, would an old caliper also to be blamed? those were saved parts I collected from friends. Or there is something really wrong about my setup?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
this is deep...
I am not a smooth rider, I am still learning from scratch at a count of less than 365 days considering 1 hour per ride.
Wondering why I often got lots of damages on my bike parts, though I am not hardcore.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
there is a reason why trials bikes never had a rear disc... put a rim brake on, go brakeless... lets see a video of riding
I am totally scared of running brakeless, I did ride bmx brakeless way back 2010 and after that non bicycle related road accident which sliced my scalp and broke my nose.... everything started to require PPE....

my frame is not equipped with rim brake mounts, I will be very happy if it had...

·
Super Moderator
252 Posts
Seems that simtra got the rear disc thing right. I run 203mm on the rear without an adapter.

Keeping the disc true is another story.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I went back to 180mm rotor with something like brand new / old stock MT4/MT6 caliper and finally got the adapter I wanted badly (classic Avid R185). I just really hoped, no more snaps or cracks...
Wheel Bicycle Bicycles--Equipment and supplies Crankset Bicycle wheel

1 - 11 of 11 Posts