XTR levers...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RomanR, Feb 15, 2004.

1. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

i installed my front one on today with a xtr cable on a front sd7 and i cant believe how good it feels. super smooth and no flex. real solid.

anyways, for the leverage dealie, how do i get it to stay where i want to? right now i have it in the stock setting, with the fixing block in place. i want to run the levers with full leverage, like i had my avid lever, but when i screw the little leverage bolt in, and squeze the brakes, the cable holder part stays at the top of the slot, instead of at the bottom on the leverage bolt where i want it to be.
    i hope this is readable. so for those that have a different leverage adjustment than the stock setting, how do you get the cable end holder to go down with the bolt? the speed dial on avids was super easy to use, but this xtr has me stumped. nothing in the manual says how to do it, well it does, but it doesnt say anything about the clamp staying at the top of the slot.

heres a pic to explain

[​IMG]

2. Gardenfan

Gardenfan Guest

Is there any way to put that fixing block at the top, to hold the pivot down?

3. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

When you squeeze the lever it will slide up and down the slot. Its how it is supposed to be, slightly different design to the avids.

4. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

that is retarded

5. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

the block thing doesnt fit at the top.

and i noticed that the whole thing slides down when the brakes are undone, but when the cable is hooked up and all, the cable holder thing just stays at the top, since the lever doesnt get close enough to the bar to be able to let the cable holder slide down. that design is plenty weird yea. so should i just try to fit something in the space above to make it work? i might just leave it as stock, but im gonna try just putting something in there.

6. bigd

bigd Guest

its the "infinite servo wave" leverage. as you pull the lever, hthe cable anchor is at an obtuse angle to the pivot "slot", as it moves past 90deg the cable anchor slides down toward the main pivot, the further the lever is pulled, the further the anchor moves down, thus increasing leverage. the more leverage the lever blade has, the squishier the brake feels.

i have an xtr lever on my commuter hooked to a road brake and i have something wedged in the area you're talking about. road brakes are designed to be pulled by a REALLY high leverage road lever. so the standard setting on the xtr lever was weak as piss for the brake. i used a chain bushing and then turned the adjustment shaft outward towedge it in there, and then a small zip tie to keep it from falling out. works super nice.

7. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

keep the lever at its stock position, but..

if you want to increase the leverage, set your brake arms farther away from the rim by putting a larger washer between the pad and the arm. sometimes you can just rearrange the washers all together.

8. bigd

bigd Guest

actually, the best way to get leverage out of your brake calipers is to get them as close to vertical as possible when they hit the rim, perfect 90deg of force is mechanical lockout, no deflection (angular loss)

9. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

of course,

but, romanc feels that he gets more leverage by decreasing the length between the pivot point of the lever and the point were the cable rests. another way to simulate that feeling is to have your brake arms farther apart, similar to cantilever brakes.

10. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

romanc?

yep i have the arms paralel to each other when they lock. i guess i'll leave the levers as stock. i managed to get the cable holder to stay down farther on the slot by putting a small threaded rod not unlike a bolt that has been cut, of the right length into the slot and then backing up the adjuster screw until it held the piece in place. it worked really well, and i'll try it again once i actually start riding, if i feel that i need more leverage out of the levers. right now i left them as stock, and i'll just use them like that. i was just used to having my avid levers on full leverage, which made them yea bit more powerful easier to lock and modulate the brake, and the "give" from the extra leverage after the brake locked was nice because my hands didnt cramp up from having solid stiff brakes. i'll just play around with the xtr after i start riding and find the best setting.