XC Parts Question (XTR)

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by Patrick, Feb 24, 2004.

1. Patrick

Patrick New Member

My roomate is building up an xc bike and is considering getting some of those XTR levers that act as both brake levers and shifters. Anyone know anything about these? Are they a cheesy fad or do they work?

2. Elan

Elan steve french

they are shifters and levers on one perch... i dont like them because you cant adjust the distance between the lever and hte shifter, like if you like one finger braking..... other than that, they work...

3. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

I assume you're talking about the new 960 series shift/brake levers. They work well, there's no question about that. Whether or not he'll like them is another story. I prefer the rapidfire trigger shifter on my MTB as I only use one finger. I can't keep only one finger on the new systems and continue to shift...so I don't like them. But, as I said, they work well.

4. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

what happens if the lever brakes... or the shifter. thern you have a useless lever or shifter left over. dumbest idea ever.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

"no way, the lever has less of a chance of breaking since it moves now. this sort of float reduces the chances of breaking a level blade" -Shimano on the new 960 stuff... yeah right. it works nice but come on- i dont eat bs so dont try to feed it to me.

as for the older 950 series lever/shifter combined stuff- it works great, i have no issues with them. you can replace a lever blade on those if you break it.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

ah yes, if he is getting hte 960, which has the brake and shift action in the same lever, then tell him no. it is overpriced BS. i have never met anyone who really wanted taht set-up..although i have installed like 5-6 of them XT/XTR shits.

7. bigd

bigd Guest

CRAP CRAP CRAP, integrated shift/brake levers are the devil.

8. KenC

KenC Member

It makes sense on road bikes, but on mtn bikes it's totally stupid. Remember he can only use xtr discs if he wants discs.... And at $400 a set? If you break them, you got to pay LOTS of money to get replacement parts - it's XTR, nothing is cheap. The next set of shifters I get for my XC bike will be the new Sram ones. I'm not sure what shimano was thinking :slap:

9. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

xtr disk only? what? no they make a vee model as well. also you can lace those levers up to saint or xt calipers. nad no you dont have to use those rotors either with their specific hubs.