X.T.P 20"...First Ride Review

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Andreas, Jul 10, 2004.

1. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Well, usps stopped by today and dropped off my xtp and a few other odds and ends. First off i'd like to thank graham for hooking me up!
    Now for the review...
    Frame at a glance: This thing is burly. At first I was skeptical about the headtube area, of course, I knew I suck too much to break any frame so I wasn't real concerned. Well, I can safely say that this headtube area is much reinforced. It doesn't flex 1 bajillionth of a millimeter when you try and move it in your hands! The CNC gusseting at the back end of the frame is incredible! Very precise and nicely done, I really have to say. Can you say attention to detail? Koxx reinforced this thing like mad, somehow I don't believe that Benito could have cracked this thing even when doing massive 160cm hooks to rear....
    Bashgaurd is ridiculously small, which is expected because of it's UCI'ness....But I would have liked a bash gaurd to cover the chainring (It covers the chainring just fine, but the chain doesn't float over the bash like it did on my X Lite). Nothing to be worried about here!
    The dropouts are also nicely done, lots of adjustment can be made from moving the rear wheel back and forth (chain tension, feel of bike, etc).
    My ONLY possible complaint that I could say would be that when sliding in my CK BMX hub, I noticed the dropouts stuck out about 1mm too wide on both sides total (.5mm on each side....I'm guessing). I didn't bother to measure, but I did notice that when tightening down the rear wheel to frame that the rear end slightly flexed in. How is this possible? Flex? XTP? I honestly don't know, you'll find out why in a second...
    First Ride review: Holy shit, Holy shit, HOLY SHIT. After getting everything to where I like, I for the first time got on the bike. LOOOONG, was the first thing I noticed. I immediately knew this was going to be a pleasure to ride, I always enjoyed long frames, and now for once I actually own one! I pop it up on rear wheel. OMGFGZ, i just sat there for about 10 seconds before I hopped. Honestly I don't know how I did it, I thought it must have been a fluke so I tried again, and again, and again. Results were consistent, no hops neccesary...SICK! So basically, this thing sits on rear wheel as long as you want it to, not much hopping neccessary. When doing rear wheel lines, I found it sooooo much easier to stay on rear wheel, my front end no longer even wanted to drop down after doing a little drop/gap.
    Now for actual improvements/things that didn't come naturally.
    Sidehops-Somehow I improved with out practice? Sweet, I even learned a new variation: When sitting parallel to the object, I can hop to rear, and stay up there no problem. On my X Lite the front end would get about 1mm off the ground then immediately drop down. Not cool, but with this frame, it's easy. Next off, Sidehops in general, at angles to rear wheel, and all that schtuff: So easy. Again, I could get higher than I could before, and stay on rear wheel more comfortably. Incredible, this is even before I've gotten a chance to really get used to the bike! Now for front wheel moves: PFFT, I thought I had them down on my X Lite decently, and that they weren't too hard. Well, I'm not sure if it's the new bar and stem, the frame, or both, but these things got about 10x easier. Gapping farther than bikelength is soo easy, I didn't even get a chance to try a really far gap for me, all of them came too easy! I guess it's because you have more room to manuever the bike, which is why you can get farther. Also, staying on front wheel or switching to rear wheel is much easier. At first I thought it hard to switch to rear in a small area because of the length, but because I can get slightly comfy on front wheel, the switch is easier. Gaps: Tricky at first, but was able to already get back to the stage of my X Lite. They do feel slightly awkward, but give it 3 days and I'm sure that they'll get fartther and more comfortable! Pedal Ups: POOOOP. This is the thing that will take the most time getting used to. Pedaling up a curb wasn't TOO hard, but pedaling up something as tall as my wheel was impossible! I didn't really try them more than about 3 times tonight, seeing as I wanted to start even smaller than the ledge that was availible at the time. I know that after a few rides of working my way up, taps will become soo much easier. Wedges:Duh, these are easier. I am eager to go to my old school and practice one wedge that I could never do! Now, with this super long XTP, I know I can. Wheelswaps: So easy to rest on a tall object! Getting up to rear was a bit tricky, because I wasn't used to the added length (Didn't know how to angle myself to wall). Didn't get much of a chance to practice these, but I was already making my normal height, and to rear wheel...EASY.
    Oh yeah, I forgot to mention: This frame makes me feel like i'm cheating on sidehops! Instead of having to jump up, hoook front wheel on object, then pivot over, I just:
    1-Get on rear
    2-Move front wheel to the left about 6 inches
    3-throw in some what of a hop to get rear up there.

It's like I don't really have to jump! The front end is so tall that I know I can increase my sidehop height by at least a few inches come end of this week1!

Stiffness of frame? I don't think there is any flex. Seriously, this thing is solid as a ROCK. No flex, NOTHING. I can't really describe how awesome it feels, you'll just have to try it yourself! Brakes don't have flecks in them even when porrly set up.....

Keep in mind this is coming from a 5' 2" kid, this frame is a great size for most people. the added length is welcome.

Any questions? Just ask. Pictures will be up tonight hopefully. This thing is B-A-UTIFUL!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
    1 person likes this.
  2. Elan

Elan steve french

it sounds a little too long for yourself...? its good to hear you like it. koxx always makes happy.

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Not really, I did worry it might be a stretch for me, and it is slightly. But the length is welcomed! like i said, many improvements with in the first day, i think the frame is fine for me! Plus i will grow one day.

4. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

omg, sounds sweet! Now i really can't wait till i get my long pure

5. digby

digby New Member

take your rear wheel off right now! Aluminum doesnt like to flex(regardless of what zoo has to say about it) and it defintly wont like 5mm of it. Go find 5mm worth of washers and put that on your axles. It is not the best thing for the frame to force it to clamp down like that.

also lets see some pics of it.

6. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

Don't worry. its not going to ruin your frame. It's like that on my level boss because i run different chain tensioners. No biggy - dont bother with washers.

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

espcially if they have tried to make it really stiff.

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

I'll see if i can get a hold of some washers tomorow, in the meantime it should be OK. I'm not sure about the exact measurements, I didn't measure it with tape measure or anything like that. Just a guess....
    EDIT-pFFT, what was i thining. More like 1 mm off. I must not have been thining earlier. The wheel can slide in barely without the edges touching the frame. I loosened the bolts, only to see the smallest amount of room between the hub and frame (too small to measure, guessing 1mm or smaller). Digby-I will show you on Tuesday. I think it will be fine, but if need be I can get a washer or two!

Last edited: Jul 10, 2004
  9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

TINK! This frame is easy to dent ;) I went to up a little wodden railish like figure, and slipped down. Not a scratch on the frame, but it did get flat slightly on the downtube spot.
    1 day of riding, and i already dented my frame. man, i really really suck!

10. digby

digby New Member

1.6mm U6 tubing I beleive. More light competition frame than everyday riding frame. I would save the monty for when you want to learn rail gaps :).

11. Darren

Darren New Member

where are the pics

12. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

he said .5mm each side, 1mm in total. perfectly normal.

13. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i had posted 5mm earlier, i dunno what i was thinking!

update-this frame goes where you want it too. I made lines/moves that i never even thought of before! this thing is so accurate, if i want to gap from rock to rock to rock that are each about 1 square inch that is stable i can do it with this frame. the front end doesn't want to come down (great for rear wheel lines that have drops/gaps). wheelswaps are cake with this frame. Today i got higher to rear wheel than I could do to both wheels on my x lite.

14. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

you sound pleased, nice.

i wish i had an xtp mod instead of my gay pure :(