Wrist pain

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Loner, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Loner

Loner Guest

So I was out for a ride about 3 weeks ago and afterwards I noticed some pain in my wrist. The day after it was even worse. So I waited 2 weeks and the wrist felt a bit better so I taped it up and went for a ride. Well, the pain came back and the healing process seems to be going very slow.

It's weird beacuse there's no visible swelling and I have full range of motion in my hand but it hurts if I try to twist my hand torsionally. The pain is located on the outside of the wrist. I think the problem stems from backhopping and it only hurts in my right wrist.

Just wanted to check if anyone here experienced something similar and in that case what you did about it?

Maybe I should go see a physical therapist and get some exercises.

2. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

I have had the same thing happen to me for the last couple of days but the pain has been momentary. The weird thing is that I haven't gone for a ride for over 3 days. :dunno:

3. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

if you start trials with weak wrists then they will need to grow bigger and get all muscled up. its normal for me. drink more milk and it should go away sooner or later, or if you think its cracked go see your doctor.

4. Cory

Cory Guest

I have been having pain in my left wrist on the outer side of the joint. I have been riding for about 1.5 years so I don't think my wrists are weak

5. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

Anyone having wrist pain should probably experiment with your handlebar setup. Try different bars, rotate your current bars, or even try different grips to see if it can help your put your hands in a more comforatable position.

6. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Also experiment with the brake lever position.

7. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

as with all cycling (and typing, and writing) , try to keep a straight line along your arm and the back of your hand. This is the strongest position for your wrist. You will need to move your brake levers accordingly. Lots of people have them angled too far up and have to bend their wrists back when they get on the back wheel. Try to keep in mind all your different riding positions. The exact position to put them in I can't tell you, it depends on your riding stance, height, cockpit length etc. The secret is to keep your wrists in that strong straight position until the joints and muscles are strong enought that you don't have to worry. Pretty much everyone (mtb and trials) who rides with rigid forks goes through a period of a permanent mild wrist sprain (mine lasted a year and a half).

- Joel

8. klophaus

klophaus Guest

I went through this a little bit, kind of a cracking sound when you roll your wrist. Do what everyone has been saying with change the angle of bars and levers and also lower the air pressure in your front tire. I think that may have been the main cause for me.

9. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

It's very possible you might have a hairline fracture or even a broken bone without knowing. That's the scary part about wrist injury, it's a bit different. My wrist was aching for about 3 weeks and wasn't riding much but if it's in pain, try to wear a wrist guard while riding and when going to sleep too (to keep it from moving at night)

If it keeps hurting go see a doctor and get it x-rayed. Wrist pain really sucks like back pain!

10. nidoss

nidoss Guest

I use to have the exact same problem, infact Ive had it in both of my wrists at one point or another. its been about 2 months or so since i last had that problem. Mostly what I did was make sure to tape them up before you go and ride and maybe for a week or so take it super easy.

I went to the doctor, thinking maybe I had a fracture or something but all it did was cost me a bunch of money for him to tell me i didnt and he put a brace on it which prevented me from riding at all. but if it does continue to hurt or get worse id make sure to go see a doctor becuase you never know.

oh also, i messed around with the brake lever positions a bit too. just recently i had new ones put on and my friend that did it had the levers all messed up. it was very uncomfortable and after the first ride with the levers my hands and wrist/forearms were dying. so i went and adjusted the angle on the levers to a position that i felt was much more comfortable and i havent had that problem agian.

oh and yes, i think id have to agree v-brakes are better.

:D

11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Did you turn your levers up or down? Cuz I have strong forearms and writs from biking since little but recently my arms are DEAD after one or two continues lines.

12. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

You should also try running a little lower pressure in your tires and maybe getting wider handle bars thats what worked for me, softer grips help alot for wrist pain, if your running really thin grips throw them away and get thicker softer grips.

13. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

i have my levers almost pointing straight down. im thinkin about moving them up a little bit to help when im on the rear wheel because im learning that pretty fast and by the end of this month or the next learn how to pedal kick.

14. Loner

Loner Guest

Thank you for the suggestions, I'll try changing the handlebar and brake lever setup.
    I have been riding for a year and a half and recently I have been doing a lot of gaps, pedal-ups and pedal kick ups. I tried tapeing my wrist up and while it didn't really hurt while riding the pain came later on. I might go see a doctor but I suspect it will be a waste of money paying him to tell me to rest. I don't think the pain is coming from slamming down the front wheel. I suspect that the pulling forces, that occurs when backhopping or lurching, causes it.

This really sucks as last summer I couldn't ride for a month because of back pain and I managed to get that under control and now my wrist hurt.

15. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

This sounds like exactly what i had.

It was a very strong, but dull pain in my forearm, and was most definitely from pulling up, not pushing down. It hit me about a year after I started riding and comes back every time I take a significant break from the sport. No part changes on my bike could fix it. At first the pain didn't really hit when I was riding, but now when the pain returns after a break it will set in after I ride 3 or so days in a row right in the middle of a ride.

The only way I found to beat it was to just keep riding. Resting didn't help (that was in fact, causing the problem), it needed to be strengthened.

The first time i got it it lasted several months, each subsequent time I get it it lasts shorter (last time was probably 2 weeks).

I'm not saying this is what you should do, but it works for me. Always consult a doctor before taking advice from someone who knows nothing about medicine (me). :)

Bill

16. nidoss

nidoss Guest

bloodhound, I moved my levers down to a steeper angle.

17. TRA

TRA this is very uninteresting

both me and danny smith has wrist issues , it sucks, i think we both have it after mototrials. We have both had it for years . sucks . mine aint that bad tho . but i do feel it even if im just doing a pushup .

18. Darren

Darren New Member

ive been havin wrist pain in my left, usually when im too far forward on a pedal up and my front wheel slams the ground after the up it really hurts, but i pulled up my levers a bit more horizontal and now i get no pain

19. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

definatly lever and/or bar angle........

20. valiumlaw

valiumlaw Guest

For a while i had aching wrists. I took a break from riding and let them heal. I did use a wrist bandage aswell during the healing time process(only my left hand- rear braking side ached), which i can only hope helped me heal more quickly. My pain stemmed from absorbing too much impact on my wrists and having to pull the rear brake too hard, How are your brakes set? Do you have a small amount of pull until the brake pads lock, or do your levers get quite close to the bar before your brake locks?

I found from changing from the latter to the former helped. Wearing riding gloves hepled in a way also.

Take as much time out from riding as you need, and wear a wrist bandage, just a tubular bandage with a hole cut for your thumb works fine.