WIDE ASS RIM!!!!!

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Mar 23, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

2. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I'm looking at my thumb...it's about 5cm...damn it's even wider LOL!!!

3. carCiNogn

carCiNogn New Member

"bikers, sand bikers, rock crawlers and downhillers"

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...I saw the same thing...I was like :wtf: Eh...that's pretty wide, that's like taking a DX32, then taking a half of another and welding them together....FUCK...65mm is ALOT.....good for the people who get custom frames **cough*Kevin*cough** all the time....

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

i wouldnt touch that pile with a twenty foot piece fo beef jerky. "new from surly (the most indie underground company EVAR- pfftt, you fools dont even know).... the most dent prone rim since the sun ringle phat albert. introductory price is high but just think- it comes with a pair of channel locks to get your dents and dings out!"

screw that. and anyone that calls me a "rock crawler" to my face is getting slapped like the bitch they are.

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah....Rock crawler...I was like WTF?

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

i want to take that rim and kill surly in the face with it.

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

HAHAHA...are they really that horrible? I think it's funny though...how you can really onlt have a custom frame for that rim...that's kinda gay....

9. WhiteRavenKS

"hey surly? yeah this is some dude from alaska. can you make me a rim really wide and then say trials riders can use it? dont call them trials riders though- call them rock crawlers because they love that. also, make sure the spokes are only offset a couple of mm. i have no idea what trials is and have no clue what kinds of forces are put on wheels from that kind of riding. make sure to market this rim to downhillers becuase it is still 1998 and every downhiller in the world uses 3" gazzi tires."

surly: "ok! we are so underground and indie that people will love the fact that we will offer a product like this!" (pfft... yeah right. people dont know the truth behind surly)

har har har... someone is retarded.

if you are going to make a rim for snow bikes... make one for snow bikes. dont pretend it's going to be good for anything else because it's not. surly just lost almost all of the respect i had for them which wasnt really all that much to begin with. silly people.

10. oicdn

oicdn Guest

HAH! That's great....

Why do they stay so low key anyhow? yeah...if you read it, it's funny, it starts out specifically designed for snow bikes...then they say DH'ers can use it too cause of it's wide profile....then they say they drill it, so the XC guys can use it....

Umm..WHAT FUCKIN XC GUY IS GONNA WANT A CONTACT PATCH THAT BIG FOR? Also, I doubt they'll want that heavy a rim....even drilled, I bet it still weighs a metric assload....

11. WhiteRavenKS

because surly is retarded.

12. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

There's no way in hell I would ever use that rim on any bike, unless I lost my mind and decided to race the Iditabike or something. The guys at Surly are by far, the nicest guys I met at Interbike last year. In fact, I think I posted something about them and their rim on this site. They definitely cater to the goofy, indie crowd AND try to push thier marketing out to grab some sales from "normal" people too. I don't think we should fault someone for catering to a niche while making an attempt to draw in sales from outside that niche.

The rims in question are made by Alex, using the same material as the DX-32, which, if I recall correctly, are less prone to dents than say... a Try-All (which I am using and love at the moment)

Kevin...what's the truth behind Surly? Their connection to QBP? They're staffed by a bunch of "indie" people while the organizations seems to be run pretty efficiently.

Aren't trials riders generally "indie"? We're not even fringe, like single speeders.

Yesterday in my shop...

"Hi, I'm Dave, the new guy. What kind of riding to you do?"
    "Mostly trials, and some MTB"
    "trials, so you race road bikes."
    "Yeah, road bikes."

13. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

Ditto mate. You get that

14. oicdn

oicdn Guest

HAHA.....you know the way you have to explain trials to everyday people...

"You know how on TV, you see those guys on bikes hopping fron thing to thing on thier rear wheel?"
    "oooohhhhh yeaaaaaaaahhhh, you can do that? I only see that on TV..."

That's about how it goes, LOL. Although I wonder what TV they're watching, cause I've never seen trials on TV. I just thought it would work one day when trying to explain it, and it worked...

*edit* "Indy"...ummm maybe not...I don't know if anybody considers this "indie" :ugh:

[​IMG]

I can think of some other words describing that though :rofl:

15. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

That's funny. That's how all forms of cycling should be instead of people taking it so seriously.

Near middle aged guy memory moment...back in "the day" Spooky cycles had a guy riding trials for them who wore what could essentially be described as a clown costume. Rainbow wig and all. Of course back then, women would regularly show up to compete AND Dirt Rag was a much bigger supporter. Maurice would show up frequently and Jay DeJesus was still in the scene, making bikes and writing for DR almost every month.

Bikes rock, no matter how you're involved with them. If you have fun with it, you rock. The guys at Surly are a fun bunch of guys.

16. WhiteRavenKS

the guys that work at surly are real cool. that wasnt my point though and i wont argue agaisnt that.

17. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I have no doubt the guys are cool..I think Kevins trying to say ...umm...nevermind, LOL!

18. lucky13

lucky13 Adapt, evolve, survive.

I emailed them about a trials frame idea a while ago, got a response even.

um,. here it is,..

i agree on all your points, joel. we've talked about doing a trials frame in addition to several other things. here's why we have not done a trials frame and may never do one: we don't ride trials. i probably come the closest. I ride a mean wheelie, nosie, back wheel hop, etc. But i don't really DO trials. I'm not that good. We don't really understand what goes into a good trials frame. Sure, we could study and/or copy somebody else's design, but that's not the way we work. It's the same reason we have not done the other frame people ask us for a lot: a BMX frame. We don't ride BMX. We're not against BMX or trials. Frankly, I'm honored that people think we should. Makes me think we're doing something right. We just don't want to do things we don't understand because it compromises the design and our ability to intelligently answer questions about those things we make.
    I gave you a lot more info than you may have expected, but I want to make sure you understand it's because we DO think about this stuff and only want to keep doing things right. perhaps one day we'll do a trials frame, but until then you'll have to stick with Norco or Monty or something. Sorry.
    Cheers,
    Andy

19. durkie

durkie Member

yeah kevin, so then what's the deal with surly? it better not be a godamn ancient chinese secret neither.