Observed Trials banner
61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
werkinit
3,236 Posts
Le sigh.

I'm not really in the mood to dissect the nonsense in your post, so let me say this instead:

I don't know what the situation is like where you're from, but around here people have debit cards and people have credit cards. Both will get you cash from an ATM. Nobody talks about having an "ATM card."

Now, if you wish to continue to display your complete lack of comprehension than you're either: a) being willfully ignorant, and so, a total ass, or b) an utter imbecile.

In either case, I'm done discussing this with you.
Perhaps they don't do Ass To Mouth where he's from?

·
werkinit
3,236 Posts
i meant as far as debit cards go. No banks in my area, that i know of, issue cards without the visa or mastercard logo.
The banks run differently in the states. Perhaps the debit card part is outsourced to visa and mastercard. Or he may be talkin private local credit unions? just throwin that out there.

·
wtflol
5,720 Posts
So wait....there's banks/credit unions that still issue ____ cards without the visa, master card, discover, and even AMEX logo? That's just stupid. That means you can't use your ____card anywhere except for going to the atm machine and likely getting charged for withdrawing your own money since it's not the same bank. Canada needs to step it up to modern times. Every bank I've seen here (even the small, obscure, local ones) have been running with the logo'd cards since the mid 90's (literally.) No wonder he doesn't know the difference, he's running 15 years behind.

·
werkinit
3,236 Posts
Yup, debit cards are bank specific. TD Canada Trust (a bank) gives out debit cards specific to that bank. They can be used in other banks machines but cost. Credit cards are a separate deal. They are visa or mastercard but issued through the bank. Well mine is anyways. All of this stuff is regulated by the government to some degree so rates are the same no matter what bank you choose. The idea is that the debit card is simply to access your money to your account. The credit card is... a credit card. We just started having the credit card being used/viewed as another form of debit card. More like debt card I think.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #69 ·
Yup, debit cards are bank specific. TD Canada Trust (a bank) gives out debit cards specific to that bank. They can be used in other banks machines but cost. Credit cards are a separate deal. They are visa or mastercard but issued through the bank. Well mine is anyways. All of this stuff is regulated by the government to some degree so rates are the same no matter what bank you choose. The idea is that the debit card is simply to access your money to your account. The credit card is... a credit card. We just started having the credit card being used/viewed as another form of debit card. More like debt card I think.
You can also get credit cards from other places as well: like some of the big box chain stores will issue credit cards: Superstore, HBC, Canadian Tire, etc..

·
Trials Monkey
416 Posts
Your issue isn't with paypal at all. It's with your stupid bank giving you an non visa / mastercard debit card.

Can you make general online purchases with your card?

I had this issue when I first came to the states. I had a 'solo' debit card which might as well have been dogshit in a baggy in the USA. Only things I could buy online were stores / ebay stores that allowed me to use my UK paypal and ship to a non UK address... which wasn't many believe it or not.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #71 ·
Your issue isn't with paypal at all. It's with your stupid bank giving you an non visa / mastercard debit card.
Well, yes and no.

I have issues with the way PayPal holds payments for what seems an inordinate amount of time and how they handle payments made from a PayPal balance.

For example: for my very first purchase I transfered some money from my bank account into my PayPal account because I thought this was necessary--turns out it's not. It took 12 days from making the request to put this money into my PayPal account for it to actually show up as an available balance even though the money was withdrawn from my bank account the day after making the request.

So I make the purchase. Now, since I wasn't aware that I had to manually convert the balance into the same type of funds that the seller was asking for payment--and nowhere does PayPal tell its users that this is required (at least not that I found and I did read much of their "help" section)--PayPal did not take the purchase price from my PayPal balance when I made a "buy it now" purchase on Ebay. Instead, PayPal made another withdrawal from my bank, which is fine, except, again, there's an inordinate amount of waiting for the transfer to be completed: I made the purchase on July 6th and the payment is still pending with an estimated completion date of July 16th.

Since this purchase I've made two more purchases, this time making sure to convert my funds from my PayPal balance into whatever funds the sellers were asking for beforehand, thus avoiding this extra waiting period. Of course, now I'm left with a few pennies in different funds that are basically useless.

So, yes, there are issues I have with PayPal.

OTOH, yeah, I hate my bank. But, then again, I hate all banks. As both myself and others have described in previous posts, currently here in Canada banks issue their own debit cards: that's simply how it works here in the Great White North.

So, in this regard, no, this really isn't an issue with PayPal, but with the way banks work here in Canaduh.

Can you make general online purchases with your card?
No, not with my bank (debit) card.

I did get a "Virtual Visa" debit card which is supposed to be for making online payments, or payments made by mail order or over the phone.

This is a newer beastie, and currently neither Google Checkout nor PayPal recognize it as a legitimate card. So, even though it is a debit card with a Visa logo, it doesn't seem to work at two of the most recognized online payment sites.

I would call this an "issue" with PayPal.

So, thus far, and for my online shopping needs, this "Virtual Visa" has been totally useless.

·
wtflol
5,720 Posts
If you read the terms, virtual visas, green dots, and cards of those types cannot be used because they are anonymous.

Also, the reason why paypal didn't take money out of your paypal account was because you didn't check the box to use a paypal balance instead of another echeck. If you don't have sufficient funds in you paypal account to cover the balance, it will automatically eCheck because you do not have a visa/mastercard (that's not anonymous like the above mentioned) on file. That is your own fault for not paying attention to the terms and/or payment source when making payments.

but paypal does blow.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #73 ·
If you read the terms, virtual visas, green dots, and cards of those types cannot be used because they are anonymous.
So we're going to be civil with one and other? OK, cool, let's do that.

Actually, my "Virtual Visa" isn't anonymous: it's got my name on it and is connected directly with my bank account, which also has my name on it.

Maybe you are referring to a prepaid type of Visa? :dunno:

The problem here seems simply that's it's a very new type of card--RBC only starting issuing them this past March, so I think maybe some of these online payment sites need to catch up with it.

Although, y'know, if I was a major credit company partnering with one of Canada's largest financial institutions and launching a new card intended to be specifically for online purchases, well, I'd make sure the big online payment sites were prepared to accept the damn thing.

·
wtflol
5,720 Posts
We have virtual Visa's here in the states but they're the prepaid kind. Those don't work for anything unless the card is present or over the phone. I tried to buy some stickers over the internet and the card was declined. I call the business and it was approved when taken over the phone.

It has nothing to do with the logo, it has to do with the type of card it is, it will get flagged for non-use. I.e. if you try to put anything on it that's recurring it will be declined also. Even redbox won't take those Visas and I suspect that's the problem with the virtual one you have, it gets flagged for whatever reason.

If it's attached to your bank, call your bank...it probably has some restrictions on it they can clear. Oddly, my regular debit card had restrictions for vending machine use and I couldn't buy a coke on break until after I called asking why my card kept getting declined; they made it completely unrestricted and now works everywhere.

·
Trials Monkey
416 Posts
Can't really blame paypal for 10 day waiting time. I'm sure if they could do it quicker they would.

But generally the vast majority of people have their paypal linked with their bank account (why can't you do this?) or their debit card. So their echeck system isn't going to be as user friendly as the regular system. It's kind of like using google video instead of youtube and complaining how bad google video is.

I'd honestly look into a new bank so you can get a real card.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #76 ·
We have virtual Visa's here in the states but they're the prepaid kind. Those don't work for anything unless the card is present or over the phone. I tried to buy some stickers over the internet and the card was declined. I call the business and it was approved when taken over the phone.
Yeah, I think the US version of the Virtual Visa is different from the Canadian version. We have prepaid Visas here (maybe Mastercard ones too?) as well, but I don't think they're called "Virtual Visas," but simply "prepaid Visas."

Anyway, this particular Virtual Visa--the kind I've been issued by the bank--is supposed to work without the need for it to be present: that's the whole idea, or supposed to be the whole idea, anyway. Apparently over 15 000 businesses will accept payment by this Virtual Visa, so long as these purchases are made online, over the phone, or by mail order.

Unfortunately for me, I haven't yet wanted to buy anything online from one of these alleged 15 000+ businesses.

If it's attached to your bank, call your bank...it probably has some restrictions on it they can clear. Oddly, my regular debit card had restrictions for vending machine use and I couldn't buy a coke on break until after I called asking why my card kept getting declined; they made it completely unrestricted and now works everywhere.
Actually, I went to the bank today and talked them. They were mostly like, "Durr, it's new and we don't know, and durr."

The nice lady at the service counter called the Visa department for me. Then she sat and went through the whole automated menu and punched in whatever numbers were required. When she finally got through to the Visa department she handed me the phone.

The nice lady on the other end of the line, after hearing my inquiry transfered me to the "Virtual Visa" department.

That nice lady, after asking me a bunch of security questions to ensure that it was indeed me who was on the phone, assured me that, yes, the card had been activated, and yes, it should work at any one of the over 15 000 online businesses that accept them. I asked her why Google Checkout and PayPal don't seem to accept it, seeing as they are two of the biggest online payment sites.

She didn't know and suggested I contact Google and/or PayPal.

I'm beginning to think Project Mayhem may be in order.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #77 ·
Can't really blame paypal for 10 day waiting time. I'm sure if they could do it quicker they would.
No, I really can blame them for a ten day waiting time, and I do. In this day and age where money is simply ones and zeroes stored on really secure servers, where I can use a piece of plastic slotted into a handheld device at a Subway to practically instantaneously pay for a sandwich, there is no decent reason why it needs to take ten days for money to go from my bank account to my PayPal account.

But generally the vast majority of people have their paypal linked with their bank account (why can't you do this?) or their debit card. So their echeck system isn't going to be as user friendly as the regular system. It's kind of like using google video instead of youtube and complaining how bad google video is.

I'd honestly look into a new bank so you can get a real card.
Maybe you haven't read the thread through, or maybe you read some of it and simply stopped when the insults started flying; however:

1) My PayPal is linked to my bank account. It takes ten days for money from my bank account to find it's way into my PayPal account. This sucks.

2) I can't link it to my debit card as it's not the kind of card accepted by PayPal.

3) No banks in Canada--at least none that I'm aware of--currently issue the kinds of debit cards that come with the connection to Visa or Mastercard, which is the kind needed to use for Google Checkout or PayPal. Apparently, the nice lady at the bank told me today, this will be changing soon.

"How soon?" I asked her.

She just shrugged and said she wasn't sure.

Yup, vans full of explosives made from the syphoned off fat of the rich and vain are seeming more and more appealing.

·
werkinit
3,236 Posts
my gf and I call that shit "the processing dept". Project Mayhem is way better!

·
Registered
1 Posts
1. Transferring money from bank account to paypal
= You don't pay any money to use paypal to buy and sell products online. Paypal will keep your money from the bank account for a certain amount of time to earn interest in that given amount of time. This is one of the ways that Paypal makes so much profit.

2. Echeck
= Much the same idea as cashing check in real life which takes a week give it or take, they again hold the money to get a bit of interest in that amount of time.

All in all, you have the option of using credit card, if fast transaction is what you are looking for.

Stupid? They earn millions just doing simple online transactions, it seems pretty intelligent if you ask me :)
Yes paypal is stupid looking smart. Stupidity is champion noe 😂

61 - 80 of 80 Posts