Observed Trials banner
21 - 40 of 80 Posts

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
I think you read that correctly 444. I forgot they use the credit card as a backup funding source so that if the payment doesn't go through from the bank, they will pull it from the credit card.

so as long as you have the money in your bank account, they pull it from your bank account unless you specifically tell them to pull it from your cc. this is all done at the time of payment.

·
Rum Pig
4,881 Posts
Cool. Yeah, that's one of the things that really gets my goat about many banks--or at least my bank in particular: they're charging me a monthly fee simply to hold my money and not paying me any interest on this money, meanwhile, they're using this money to make investments so they can make more money.

What a racket!

Thanks Joel, let me ask a question for clarity:

So, you've linked a credit card to your PayPal, but you can still pay instantly from your bank account and the payment is not charged to your credit card?
Yes. The money is taken from my bank account straight away but takes a few days to clear (is shown as "pending" in my banking thing). This clearance period means PP would usually call it an "echeck" with the subsequent delay. Because I've added a credit card to it though, they're happy to credit the payment immediately to the seller, with the knowledge that they can charge the CC if the payment doesn't clear. In your Paypal account there should be an option called "link a credit card".

I use PP over a credit card to buy stuff online now, my CC is just linked to my bank account anyway (it's a debit mastercard) so the money all comes from the same place. The various stories of online stores keeping CC details which then get pinched by hackers tips the balance towards PP. As a seller on eBay though, I'd rather people paid by direct debit instead as I get more money then.

- Joel

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Yes. The money is taken from my bank account straight away but takes a few days to clear (is shown as "pending" in my banking thing). This clearance period means PP would usually call it an "echeck" with the subsequent delay. Because I've added a credit card to it though, they're happy to credit the payment immediately to the seller, with the knowledge that they can charge the CC if the payment doesn't clear. In your Paypal account there should be an option called "link a credit card".

I use PP over a credit card to buy stuff online now, my CC is just linked to my bank account anyway (it's a debit mastercard) so the money all comes from the same place. The various stories of online stores keeping CC details which then get pinched by hackers tips the balance towards PP. As a seller on eBay though, I'd rather people paid by direct debit instead as I get more money then.

- Joel
Thanks for the additional information!

I have a "Virtual Visa" which is supposed to be for online purchases and, like your Master Card, is linked to my bank account. I tried to add it to my PayPal account, but it didn't accept it, grrr.

In fact, everywhere I've tried to use it--the places I want to use it--it hasn't been accepted. What a piece of junk!

·
Richard
2,184 Posts
There are about 4 posts that I didn't read. I've had literally 50 transactions through paypal since it's inception and I have never had a problem. I've bought pizza with paypal before.

Why don't you link your debit card to Paypal? Derp.

Edit: I just looked through my entire Paypal history. Turns out it is well over 50 payments made, including 2 to Moment Designs one to Elan Castro, two to Midwest Biketrials, Jonny Jones (GET1), Webcyclery, and fucking Veritas bikes. Fucking rofl. :rofl:

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
There are about 4 posts that I didn't read. I've had literally 50 transactions through paypal since it's inception and I have never had a problem. I've bought pizza with paypal before.
Well, I suppose that's nice that you've had mucho success with PayPal.

Why don't you link your debit card to Paypal? Derp.
Oh, if it were only that simple, Mr. Courage, if it were only that simple.

Let's take a look at this deductive argument:

1) PayPal requires the debit cards that can be linked to a PayPal account to be either Visa debit cards or Mastercard debit cards.

2) My debit card is issued by my bank and has nothing to do with Visa or Mastercard.
--------
3) Therefore, _______?_______.

What do you reckon?

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
I actually like paypal - And it seems there's a lot of conflicting information here, but this is what I KNOW I have done :

I set up a paypal account in '06-ish and all they needed was a credit card. No bank account information at all. I bought stuff online all the time with "Paypal" which only acted as a merchant portal for charging my Credit card. Obviously they made money off fees to the sellers for using paypal service.

Up until about 2010/2011 I never ever needed my bank account linked up UNTIL I decided to sell something to a person and receive funds. I had the funds in my paypal account from my buyer but paypal let me know I needed to link up my bank account to direct deposit them, so I did that.

Ever since then I always select charge my credit card in paypal options when I pay for things. This is near double protection:
1. You are protected by paypal buyer policy (if you use the invoice function, does NOT work with "gifts" which will screw you over on the protection they offer.)
2. You are protected by your credit card company - If paypal doesn't come through on a scam, alert your CC company and they will make a claim on the paypal charge.

I don't see what the problem is? Unless things have changed (which they very well may have, since 2006) and you are required to input bank info when you signup now.

But otherwise, I have never needed my bank info for Paypal and prefer NOT to use it since it's a lot harder to get money back that has been removed from your bank account rather than charged to a CC.

444 - Just use a credit card!

·
Richard
2,184 Posts
Well, I suppose that's nice that you've had mucho success with PayPal.

Oh, if it were only that simple, Mr. Courage, if it were only that simple.

Let's take a look at this deductive argument:

1) PayPal requires the debit cards that can be linked to a PayPal account to be either Visa debit cards or Mastercard debit cards.

2) My debit card is issued by my bank and has nothing to do with Visa or Mastercard.
--------
3) Therefore, _______?_______.

What do you reckon?
Get a new bank. :greddy:

·
Premium Member
179 Posts
I was doing the same thing not realising that my problem was money transfered to my paypal account instead of being in my bank account. I went through a couple of orders and ended up calling paypal. Now finally I am still waiting on an Echeck and hoping its gonna go through this time!

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
444 - Just use a credit card!
Thanks for the (snipped but read) break down there 1MA!

Heh, my problem here would be that I don't currently have a credit card.

and 444, is that a debit card or an atm card? i would assume atm card.
Hell if I know! I didn't even really know there was a difference? It's my "client card" for RBC, so whatever that means is what it is.

·
Premium Member
576 Posts
Thanks for the (snipped but read) break down there 1MA!
Haha, I should have put *Cliffnotes - At the bottom. :wuteva:

Heh, my problem here would be that I don't currently have a credit card.
Gotcha - But you see what I mean? You can open a dispute with a charge so easily with a CC. I was on the phone with them once asking about what was in a CC charge and they kept badgering me to open a claim on it, until I had to just tell them, NO!

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Gotcha - But you see what I mean?
I do, sir, I do.

One of these days--when I'm more of a grown-up--I'll have to get me one of them magic plastic rectangles of virtual money making Pandora's Boxes.

·
wtflol
5,720 Posts
:ugh:

Wow...you people should NOT be shopping on the internet if you don't know the difference between an ATM, debit, or credit card. Just sayin.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
:ugh:

Wow...you people should NOT be shopping on the internet if you don't know the difference between an ATM, debit, or credit card. Just sayin.
Who the fuck do you mean by "you people"?

Just askin'.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
I think he means you, bro. Choke a bitch
Heh.

Well, since I know the difference between a debit card and a credit card, he can't mean me.

And since everyone else who has responded to this thread also seems to know the difference between a debit card and a credit card, he can't mean any of them either.

So I gots to wonder: who the fuck is he talking to?

·
wtflol
5,720 Posts
Hell if I know! I didn't even really know there was a difference? It's my "client card" for RBC, so whatever that means is what it is.
:hsugh:

21 - 40 of 80 Posts