Observed Trials banner
1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, I'm a first time user of PayPal.

I transfered money from my bank account into my PayPal account in order to have money available for a purchase I wanted to make on Ebay. I had to wait almost two fucking weeks for the money to appear in my PayPal account even though PayPal took the money out of my account the day after I made the request to transfer the funds.

Do they use some kind of snail--or maybe a fucking turtle--to carry the money from my bank to theirs? Is it sent by pony fucking express? I mean, in this day and age this shit is supposed to be fucking damn near instantaneous, yah?

Anyway, so finally the fucking money is available in my PayPal account so I'm all ready to make my first Ebay purchase using PayPal (previous to this I always simply sent off money orders, which, in retrospect, seems to be a faster way to go about all this anyway, but now most sellers don't accept money orders on Ebay because Ebay and PayPal are in cahoots and want to get every possible fucking dime out of every fucking transaction). So I do the old "buy it now" option and proceed through the checkout process.

Well, now PayPal makes the payment a fucking Echeck--which means they need to take that money out of my bank account so I have to wait close to another two fucking weeks for the payment to clear again (even though I know damn well that fucking money will be out of my fucking account tomorrow)--instead of simply taking the money from my fucking funds available. What. The. Fuck?

Why the fuck does PayPal seem so fucking stupid?

(obligatory situational emoticon follows in 3...2...1...)

:wtf:

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
1. Transferring money from bank account to paypal
= You don't pay any money to use paypal to buy and sell products online. Paypal will keep your money from the bank account for a certain amount of time to earn interest in that given amount of time. This is one of the ways that Paypal makes so much profit.

2. Echeck
= Much the same idea as cashing check in real life which takes a week give it or take, they again hold the money to get a bit of interest in that amount of time.

All in all, you have the option of using credit card, if fast transaction is what you are looking for.

Stupid? They earn millions just doing simple online transactions, it seems pretty intelligent if you ask me :)

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sure, sure, OK I get that: hold the money for a bit to make some interest off it. Yeah, modelled on the high profitability of banks everywhere.

But why-oh-why--when I put money into the fucking PayPal account to begin with--is PayPal not taking that money to use for the payment and instead insisting on taking the money out of my bank account again? I mean, I'm pretty sure I read in the 'help' sections that payments come from the PayPal balance first, then from the bank account second. Are they fucking liars or what?

I mean, that's why I bothered to transfer the money from my bank account into the PayPal account in the first fucking place: so I could make a payment from the PayPal account.

Again:

:wtf:

·
Premium Member
2,088 Posts
I hate Paypal but it seems almost necessary evil.

Best bet is to link a CC to your Paypal, then it's all pretty much instantaneous. paypal = bags of dicks.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I hate Paypal but it seems almost necessary evil.
Yeah. Like fucking banks.

Best bet is to link a CC to your Paypal, then it's all pretty much instantaneous. paypal = bags of dicks.
Yeah, it's starting to look like that'll be the best bet. Of course, credit card companies are also evil money raping fuck bags of dicks as well.

This is the only reason why I'd actually give a toss about bike trials becoming a bigger sport: then I could walk into a local shop, lay down my cash-monies on the counter and walk out with whatever the fuck it was I wanted to purchase without feeling like I'd been gang raped by some train of virtual money changers.

·
werkinit
3,236 Posts
Do they not make some sort of credit card that you can "top up" like a coffee card or something? This way you could use it with paypal and not have to worry about geting ass-raped by providing a link to your real creditcard for legal and illegal crooks to take advantage of you.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
sounds like you didn't select the option to pay using the funds in your paypal account instead of echeck. Just look over the options the next time you pay with paypal. There are usually a slew of payment methods.

·
Premium Member
380 Posts
I know what your saying I used to think the same but now I almost never have any money in the actual paypal account, so it just takes it out from my bank using what they were talking about or what ever. Either way its instant, and it will show on your in your bank a few days later.

·
wtflol
5,720 Posts
For purchases over like $100, it's actually cheaper AND faster to buy a money order and ship it out overnight mail, sometimes, depending on where its going, you can ship it priority mail and it get there just as quick. Not to mention more accountable and safer. Theres always a way around paypal. Fuck paypal.

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
i'm confused on the cheaper and faster aspect. Maybe you are doing something different, but if my purchase is $199.95, i paypal $199.95. A money order would be $199.95 and a fee and mailing expense.

Usually my paypal purchases post to the seller almost immediately.

on the more accountable and safer aspect. Yes there are loopholes with paypal, but if someone cashes your money order and decides not to ship, there are not many options that i know of. At least that is my experience.

Granted for really large purchases(thousands of dollars) there are always reliable escrow services.

edit: i'm not saying i'm in love with paypal, but it has typically been convenient and is widely accepted. Also if you are the seller, use a shipping method with good tracking like fedex/ups.

·
Premium Member
847 Posts
The man is justly complaining about his shitty consumer experience and you're offering him investment advice...?

1. Transferring money from bank account to paypal
= You don't pay any money to use paypal to buy and sell products online. Paypal will keep your money from the bank account for a certain amount of time to earn interest in that given amount of time. This is one of the ways that Paypal makes so much profit.

2. Echeck
= Much the same idea as cashing check in real life which takes a week give it or take, they again hold the money to get a bit of interest in that amount of time.

All in all, you have the option of using credit card, if fast transaction is what you are looking for.

Stupid? They earn millions just doing simple online transactions, it seems pretty intelligent if you ask me :)

·
wtflol
5,720 Posts
The seller doesnt get $199.95...they get some shit like $183.00. It's in the best interest of both parties to not use paypal and paypal protection is about as useful as a pinholed condom.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sounds like you didn't select the option to pay using the funds in your paypal account instead of echeck. Just look over the options the next time you pay with paypal. There are usually a slew of payment methods.
Nah, there were no other options--believe me I was thorough and attentive at every step of the process.

I contacted PayPal's help department (with 100% less use of variations on the word 'fuck'), and they got back to me today. It turns out that beforehand I have to convert the funds to whatever the Ebay seller's funds are in order for the money to be taken from my PayPal account. 'Cause, y'know, it'd be too difficult for PayPal's system to simply do that automatically upon any given purchase.

Live and learn, I guess.

I know what your saying I used to think the same but now I almost never have any money in the actual paypal account, so it just takes it out from my bank using what they were talking about or what ever. Either way its instant, and it will show on your in your bank a few days later.
Yeah, I don't think I'll bother putting any funds into my PayPal account again--it's all coming outta' the bank account either way, and with pretty much the same amount of wait times.

It's in the best interest of both parties to not use paypal and paypal protection is about as useful as a pinholed condom.
Generally yes, but you have to be able to trust the seller when negotiating outside Ebay. I used to buy CDs from an Ebay seller, and I would look through his catalogue on Ebay, then contact him privately to make an order. He'd give me hella deals and always came through. Alas, he's moved into selling vinyl pretty much exclusively, and I don't currently own a record player.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
I use paypal a lot. The problem is if you have insufficient funds by even a penny, the whole thing goes through as an echeck. Sometimes there's conversion rates and fees which you should look into before you buy. The easiest way to use paypal is to never put money into it. I let it automatically go through as an echeck since I'm waiting anyway. I keep it in my bank because ING Direct is pretty friggin sweet. If something goes wrong like if my paypal is hacked, I can stop it through my bank and let them know someone is trying to access my money, but if my money is stored in paypal and it goes missing, it's more or less gone.

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I use paypal a lot. The problem is if you have insufficient funds by even a penny, the whole thing goes through as an echeck. Sometimes there's conversion rates and fees which you should look into before you buy. The easiest way to use paypal is to never put money into it. I let it automatically go through as an echeck since I'm waiting anyway. I keep it in my bank because ING Direct is pretty friggin sweet. If something goes wrong like if my paypal is hacked, I can stop it through my bank and let them know someone is trying to access my money, but if my money is stored in paypal and it goes missing, it's more or less gone.
Good advice, thanks.

I've also been thinking about getting an ING account. How long have you had yours--you seem like a satisfied client?

·
Premium Member
1,863 Posts
I actually got scammed once on otn, when the seller didn't ship the planet x I paid for.

Thankfully, paypal had my back and I got my money back

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
The seller doesnt get $199.95...they get some shit like $183.00. It's in the best interest of both parties to not use paypal and paypal protection is about as useful as a pinholed condom.
Notice i never said the seller got $199.95. Same as taking a credit card. It is a convenience fee. I know i have actually paid people extra money before because i wanted to cover their fees, not because they asked.

and as far as the "pinholed condom" goes... It has saved my funds on a few occasions.

·
Premium Member
545 Posts
Good advice, thanks.

I've also been thinking about getting an ING account. How long have you had yours--you seem like a satisfied client?
They are pretty awesome. I've been with them almost a year. Having a bank that charged was like, $42 a month!!!! so, now I actually get interest and pay nothing with ING. Great interest rates. The only down side is getting a certified check, or if you need a bank manager signature. There's no physical banks. I have a dormant account with another bank set as pay as you go just in case i need something like that, but I don't move money into it. It works out.

·
Rum Pig
4,881 Posts
Paypal takes money out of my account straight away as an "instant transfer", it happened as an eCheck until I linked a CC to it for security and now they let it go through straight away.

I don't bother putting money into my PP account. If someone buys something from me and pays that way, I leave it in there and spend it later on CRC or eBay or something.

- Joel

·
Long live the new flesh!
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
They are pretty awesome. I've been with them almost a year. Having a bank that charged was like, $42 a month!!!! so, now I actually get interest and pay nothing with ING. Great interest rates. The only down side is getting a certified check, or if you need a bank manager signature. There's no physical banks. I have a dormant account with another bank set as pay as you go just in case i need something like that, but I don't move money into it. It works out.
Cool. Yeah, that's one of the things that really gets my goat about many banks--or at least my bank in particular: they're charging me a monthly fee simply to hold my money and not paying me any interest on this money, meanwhile, they're using this money to make investments so they can make more money.

What a racket!

Paypal takes money out of my account straight away as an "instant transfer", it happened as an eCheck until I linked a CC to it for security and now they let it go through straight away.

I don't bother putting money into my PP account. If someone buys something from me and pays that way, I leave it in there and spend it later on CRC or eBay or something.

- Joel
Thanks Joel, let me ask a question for clarity:

So, you've linked a credit card to your PayPal, but you can still pay instantly from your bank account and the payment is not charged to your credit card?

1 - 20 of 80 Posts