Why doesn't Michelin ...

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by PJL, Jun 10, 2004.

1. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Make bike trials tires using their mototrials tread patterns? Last week I went to the USA round of the World Trials (Moto) Championship here in MN, and saw that every single competitor had the same tread pattern. THE SAME PATTERN. These riders are the best in the world.

You can check out the pattern here:
    http://www.tiresnstuff.com/mich-trialX11.html

Now the question is, Michelin obviously has rights to use this pattern, they have the casings on which to put it (their DH tire line), they apparently have come to the conclusion that it is the best pattern for mototrials, and I'm sure they have the money to do it, so why haven't they?

Yes, I have studied economics, so don't tell me there isn't a market for them because there are a myriad of smaller companies already that have trials specific tires.

Any ideas?

Peter

2. Raub

Raub Guest

I've no idea but I really do agree with what you say :dunno:

3. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

I'm not sure about that specific event, but I know that in some mototrials organizations, you are restricted to specific tires you can use. So it may not be the best pattern, just what everyone is forced to use. Michelin makes their trials specific bike tires by changing the rubber compounds of their current tires, which is much more cost effective for them.

4. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

I think tire molds are very expensive especially for something as small market as trials. and if their tires are already super frigin expensive then I can't imagine what would come...

5. fjas

fjas New Member

Thats right, in mototrial you are not allowed to use a diffrent tire pattern.
    That pattern does not give the best grip, so for us trials riders who can use whatever tire we want, it would be silly for mich to make a bicycle version of those.

Thats what i have heard.....

6. PJL

PJL War is Peace

regulation tires?

Hmm, I'd never heard of a regulation tire... for trials anyway. I guess most professional racing organizations have some type of tire regulations so I guess it's not that surprising.

However that brings up the question, will any of the biketrials organizations begin to run a spec tire? Or will it be like the WRC, hundreds of different tire choices like it is presently? I would like to see it stay the way it is now, part of the competition is knowing what to run.

Still, to me anyway, it looks like a very nice pattern; if it were available that would be what I would run. Very large tread blocks would reduce the need to run higher pressures, and they seemed to work well in the slicker conditions.

7. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Monty tires have that pattern doesn't they.. I'm not too impressed by that tire. And from what I've seen not too many others are either..

8. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

you went to the world round in northern MN? thats cool, i went there last year but I moved out to CA. My dad has that tire pattern for his GasGas and all of the trialsiners do on their Montesos and such, seems like a good pattern to me. But Ill stick to my minion 2.7. Im sure that if it was made into a bicycle tire that the rolling resistance would be high. because you could only fit about 2-3 of those blocks across.

9. TRA

TRA this is very uninteresting

yea, you have to use a specific tire, not only pattern, but specific tires.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

what is so bad about the current 24.1?

11. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

sounds like the rule you used to have to wear monty shoes and a skin suit

12. Elan

Elan steve french

and be spanish.

13. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

perhaps the economics goes deeper- just because other companies make trials tires doesnt mean it's the best thing for michelin to make one.

tire molds are thousands and thousands of dollars. just becaus ethey have the casings doesnt mean they can just glue some new knobs on top of it. it has to be made a whole new tire. very pricey. considering how well the reguler dh tread paterns work it would be pretty wasteful of them to crank out a whole new tire. if they wouldnt do it for the world champions why would they do it at all.

14. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Innova actually make a 2.3 version of that tread pattern i think, i believe the Echo tyres are the same.

One of my mates has run the Innova on the rear for ages and swears by it. I however, probably wouldnt.

15. pav

pav New Member

i dont see what all the hype about michelin tires for the rear is
    i have got a Hot S on the front and love it but i have not really liked any of the rear michelins like comp 24.1 and comp 16, the only michelin on rear i have liked that i have seen is hot s but that pinches really easy
    i have not ever owned a rear michelin though so i am not really the person to say but when watching them and on them the sidewalls are just so damn dead! there is no bounce
    i like koxx tires, they are best tire IMO they will stick to anything and inpinchable too!

michelin dont really need to change their tread pattern though, do you hear of anyone complaining that their michelin is not gripping well?
    after getting my hutchison and hot s i never had any issues with tires really and after seeing koxx tires which will by my next tires i dont think i will ever have another issue with tires

pav

16. WhiteRavenKS

try-all and maxxis tires have a much livlier feel to them. some people prefer the dead feel of the michelins.

ps- try-all tires are not "inpinchable"... no tire is.

17. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

It finally happened to me...my Try-All let me down. :(

18. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

my friends bmx tire was impincable. we tried for weeks to pinch flat it. we had the rim DENTED all the way around, like big DENTS on the sidewall. the tire never pinch flatted. its the only thing I have found to not pinchflat. And yes we did hit SHARP curbs at HIGH speeds. We would even PUSH DOWN on the rear so it would smack the curb harder. Now his rim is totally f*cked up. But he got a new bike so its all good. Even tho I wanted him to get a Monty so I'd have someoen ride with me, he got a Haro BMX. :barf:

19. WhiteRavenKS

maxxis, try-all, michelin- they are all less prone to pinches. i hate it when people think something is pinch or flat proof. mostly stemming from my rage at idiot customers at the shop who think something is UBER-INDESTRUCTABLEEEE.

20. onto1wheel

onto1wheel Member

got me curious, so i checked it out:
    http://www.fim.ch/en/rules/techniques/ctr/toc.htm#
    world moto trials has some pretty tight restrictions on tires, looks like to me.
    anyway, considering the bazillion different bicycle tire treads already in existance, why not make a few more? I dunno if they'd be any better though...