Observed Trials banner

Why aren't there many Megamo riders?

3K views 35 replies 14 participants last post by  oicdn 
#1 ·
I was just browsing a couple sites and was curious as to why not too many people, well, actually, I think I've seen 3 other Megamo bikes, I know there was something with importation into the US, but I would think that people in Canada would have some, unless that whole hiatus was North America, not just the US.

In comparison, there are tons of people on Koxx, Zebdi's, Zoo!'s, and Echo's, a few sparse Monty's and Brisa's, but howcome nobody has a Megamo?

I saw on some UK forum, some dude was having trouble selling his Megamo...LOL. I was like...."errr, maybe I SHOULDN'T have gotten one....", but everybody says they're better than my other choices...then why in the hell does nobody have one if they're so great, LOL. :dunno:

#2 ·
IMO, they are expensive botique craps... and where the hell would you buy them in the U.S.? and why teh fuc kwould you buy one hwen you have koxx, echo, zoo, and especially coustellier?

#3 ·
LOL, I dunno...I have one, but it was more luck or timing than anything else.....

But of the frames I was looking at, Brisa B26d, Echo Pure, PX Zebdi, Zoo! Boa or Pitbull the Megamo Radical....I was really looking at the Zoo! and Zebdi, but people were recomending I stay away from those other frames if I had the chance to get the Megamo....

LOL, then browsing around, I saw nobody had one, and that some guy in the UK was actually having problems selling one and one guy even said "Dude, you're not gonna sell it, it's a Megamo!" I was like :wtf:

#6 ·
Horrible representation, even worse than monty here in the US.

All the new ones (high end) have gay as fuck internal headsets.

SHIT geometry compared to the koxx for uci, shit geometry compared to the zebdi for street....they feel wierd.

They are expensive, FOR NO REASON.

They tried to have a bit of a researgence back in the US earlier last year, but they never followed through with shit (megamo midwest).

#8 ·
Yeah....DangerousDave on Pinkbike has one, a couple I think, and he said the people he knows that has had them love them, and he loves his, but LOL, that's only 1 dude. I talked to a guy on AIM a couple hours ago, and he also said they're great frames....but they're not exactly abundant if they're so great....

I think that internal headset scares people.....I read the article from King, but eh...I dunno....

Yeah Monty's aren't exactly abundant, LOL.

#9 ·
They tried to have a bit of a researgence back in the US earlier last year, but they never followed through with shit (megamo midwest).
I don't agree with this statement. I saw the Megamo rep at Motorama, Snow Shoe, and Sequatchie. He may have been at Flint too, but I did not make it there. As far as I can see he was at more events then the other dealers.

#10 ·
All I care about is internet representation. I have seen no videos by the team, no posts by any of them (except the 15 year old or wtfever), no competition results that I can easily identify. nothing.

I too saw the megamo rep at motorama, he wasn't doing much but its cool he let one of the only interesting trials riders hop on one for his first ride in months. If you want to sell things or make a name for yourself, get active in the place where there are the most trials riders....meaning get on a computer.

They may have good representation in the midwest..which means..uh....nothing

#11 ·
It's sorta hard to get a hold of one. Just bad distribution I guess? There also seems to be no rep going around on one, and not many people on them. Dave from Canada loves his. He just got the brand new disk only one (I was warning him he may hate it). It's also got that horrible headset like Andy said.

You must have gotten all your megamo info from the uk. Its a bit more popular there.

#12 ·
megamo is financially unstable as a company at times and has had no solid contact in the us. they also have no world representation- they lost marc caisso, dani comas, and kenny lecorr who were their three big guys i think.. two to koxx and one to monty. no world team, no solid distribution, high pricing= very few megamos.

#16 ·
My first trials bike was a megamo rookie 20", loved the thing... I think the availibility of them for a while decrease the numbers on them in the US. in 2001 at the worlds all but 2 of the junior mod riders from the US where on megamos (chris mcnutt was on a monty, i was on the goatwheel TI bike which had the same geo as a megamo so it was basically a megamo)

haha internet representation... you want them to litter the forums with ads like other dealers? haha just messin :rofl: but seriosuly maybe a little more active role from megamo in the US would be nice....

#17 ·
Yeah, I like the fact that there aren't many people with them...that's cool, I guess....a change-up from the normality, but I kinda also like teh fact they're low-key and not littering forums and sites, but being too low key is bad, LOL.

#18 ·
I think they are stuck somewhere between street/UCI ..... designed for UCI but ended up with a short street like frame ... :ugh:

Yeah....DangerousDave on Pinkbike has one, a couple I think, and he said the people he knows that has had them love them, and he loves his, but LOL, that's only 1 dude. I talked to a guy on AIM a couple hours ago, and he also said they're great frames....but they're not exactly abundant if they're so great....
He doesn't have it anymore , he's got a Zoo (Boa i think) now ...

#20 ·
ToX said:
I think they are stuck somewhere between street/UCI ..... designed for UCI but ended up with a short street like frame ... :ugh:

He doesn't have it anymore , he's got a Zoo (Boa i think) now ...
I think he sold the Zoo...and is back to the Megamo....

#25 ·
All I care about is internet representation. I have seen no videos by the team, no posts by any of them (except the 15 year old or wtfever), no competition results that I can easily identify. nothing.
I really don't care about Internet representation. I ride alone and most of my info comes from the Internet, but my only chance to try out a bike is at a comp where I can trade bikes with other riders or ride demo bikes. I am in the process of replacing my stock and mod and I don't want to make a big $ decision based on hearsay. I prefer to ride the bikes that I am considering before ordering one.

As a side note. I just bought a Pure 1080 without riding one first and it was a good decision, but if I had a chance to ride it first I would not have pondered buying it for months. I would have bought it right there on the spot. Now I need to make a decision about the mod.

#26 ·
Yeah most of your info comes from the internet. Where the is fuck all info/hype/talking about megamo. Meaning no one has any info on them, which means no one would buy them, which they don't, which means I am correct.

You shouldn't make a decision on hearsay, but you should listen to people who have worlds more experience and knowledge than you do about something you are interested in. You think that 30 people saying "this is shit" after they all used it means nothing? You say you wouldn't make a big money decision without trying it out, yet you did with your pure... you just picked it out of a catalog or something? Just on a whim? I'm sure...

match your stock with your mod (ie echo team). If you want something that feels like shit get a brisa. If you want something that is "unique" (meaning horrible) get a megamo. If you want a more expensive echo team, get a koxx long mod. If you like wasting money, get a monty TI (only 2 grand). I'm sure at your next group ride there will be a rider on each of these frames, so you can just try them there...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.