Who's done ALOT for the sport?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jun 3, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I think most notably, Kevin has as of late. The Hermance vids making such a huge impact, the CO Trials video's, this forum....all I can think of right now...I'm bored as hell at work, but eh...I thought he deserved a notable mention....:bigthumb:

But who else do you think as done alot?

2. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

right now or in the past?

say what you want about these guys now, but in one way or another, they've made huge contributions to the sport

jp sickler - organized a crapload of events
    doug white - norba trials guy in the late 90's
    reed merschat - mass distributed trials vids in north america
    stephen maeder - brought trials to the web on a large scale
    tim williamson - goatwheels, trialsin: original trials web shops
    joey hayes - observed trials magazine, contributed to other magazines
    jay dejesus - Eastern woods research: a long wheelbase mod way before anyone heard of Koxx
    Hans Rey, Libor, Jeff, Marc Brooks - og trials riders
    Robin Coope - ask any canadian, they'll tell you

and that's just a minute of thinking from someone who's only been around for 8 years.

if anyone knows who started the mtb-trials mailing list, add them. it was the online trials forum before forums existed

EDIT: oops, didn't notice what forum this was in... well if you're talking strickly media, then leave Reed, Stephen, and Joey.

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Sorry I posted this in the wrong forum....I thought I WAS in teh general forum...but nonethe less...those are great people mentioned....

4. Abbwoman

Abbwoman Mayor of Fold City

i dont know many people here...but within 2 days of learening of this site i've been able to miraculasly be able to pedalkick and pedal up so...i'd say its one of the best trials sites ive been on! ;)

5. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

If we are just talking about North America, all of those guys you mentioned have done a lot for trials, Jon Maeda should also be mentioned. And don't for get Ryan Leech. And of course Stevo.

As for current people that I think are doing the most for trials, it would be JP, Stevo, Stephen Maeder, Bill and Kevin and who ever is doing the whole Colorado comp thing, and Robin Coope.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

6. B1105

B1105 New Member

I think Pancho is missing? I heard he did a lot of organinizing for the CO comp recently or something.

7. AndyT

AndyT New Member

hans rey.

/thread

8. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Besides those that have already been mentioned: We may not hear a whole lot from him, but it sure sounds like Jeremy VanSchoonhoven is out promoting trials to the non-trials crowd, and Jim has (despite what some Canadians may think) some great ideas for advancing the sport.

How about the Pi family, Canas, and Rubio? Yeah they may have created some parts that could only be replaced by more Monty parts in an attempt to monopolize the market, but they were out busting their asses making innovative bikes long before a lot of the current companies, and their riders (forementioned) were promoting the sport and developing new riding techniques.

We have some newer guys to the sport that have been mentioned like Pancho and Kevin, working on comps and actively helping new riders on trials forums.

Shaun Miller: yeah he has a bad reputation, but it sounds like he is almost singlehandedly responsible for the fontana series this year.

There are more, but I have to run.

Bill

9. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Yes, Pancho is one of those Colorado guys I mentioned! With his van blowing up and everything he still was there to work on the courses, thanks Pancho!

And another group that should be mentioned as far as riders that inspired Jeremy as a comp rider in the US, it would be JJ, Shaun Miller, Chris Santos and Nelson when he was in the US. Those guys were pushing the limits at the comps in the US and Jeremy always used them as the standard, to show him what he needed to work on. Jeremy was also inspired by riders like Jeff and Ryan, but that was more for their video work, they were outstanding at that. They were also better at comps than Jeremy was, but he learned the most about comp riding from the other guys. Most of these comp riders never did well in videos compared to Jeff and Ryan, but rode very well at every comp. It was a pleasure to watch them ride in person. I think there is a real tendency for comp riders to focus on comps and not understand how much the internet and videos impact trials riders, but hey they are doing what they love to do and don't really do trials for fame or to please everyone else, but they still have an impact on the sport.

These riders have done a lot for trials just by showing up at trials events.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

10. bubbazanetti

bubbazanetti New Member

Some more thanks

Darkside Drake should remember some of these guys, having been around for so long:

They all deserve grand tanks for putting on events.

Almost pre-JP Sickler...Cevin Quitoriano & Louis Sandoval (I think that was Louis's last name), sick events in the Fresno, CA area.

John Koslowski...Castro Valley Cyclery, allowed a nobody named Steve Blick to put on some rockin' fun days, lasting over 2-3 days. Attended by a newly arrived Hans Rey, in the Bay Area.

Steve Blick...now an Oakley big-wig, all-around fun guy.

The San Francisco/East Bay crew: Jungle Jon Poschman, Jim Trigonis, Dee Sakai, Max Ruddick, Dave Arbogast, Aaron Faust. These guys put on some great Bay Area events in the early 90's. Arbo & Aaron Faust used to do demos in the Bay Area on Arbos ugly green wooden shapes, with remote, wireless mics on their foam Gyro helmets, giving a running commentary on what they were doing. Lots of huffing & puffing while they did it, but good fun. Their freak flag is now being carried on by Paul Bray, even to the point of him driving Trigonis' POS Volvo.

Gary White...Fremont promoter of the San Jose area events.

More recently, Phil & Renee Anderson who promoted the Sand Hilld Ranch trials, where sections were built by Andy Trickel & Mr. Mike Morris. These events were attended by a long driving Jim & Jeremy VanSchoonhoven in Jeremy's formative years.

Kevin Norton...the first American to journey to Europe to ride. His greatest achievements of note? He brought the hopping technique to America, so you ALL owe him a nod of the helmet, and he also introduced/invited a mulleted HANS REY to the U.S. shores!

In the 90's, the NEPS and East Coast hardcore crew of Ed Gregorowicz, Randy Vancil, Jason Schwingabart, Bill Weiber, and that area crew were instrumental in growth in the Northeast.

George & Vicky Miller made the Mickey's series in OH a success, after their multi-hour drives to get there. They also spawned a punk named Shaun, who has grown to be a fine young man, and is still kicking SoCal ass.

Anyone who organized events through the NATS series, and they are many. Among them are Greg Morin (CO), Sam Perkins (Lake Placid), Tim Williamson (everywhere East Coast), Dale Murray (Michigan), Pete Wilk (EFTA)

The gang that bailed out JP at the Tahoe world round in '97...Kurt Hathaway, Jon Maeda, Robin Coope, George Miller, Daisuke Koya, Doug White, Steve Arrowood, and others, I'm sure.

Howard Phelps who has taken over the Fontana series, owned by Don Jackson, with Shaun Miller building sections.

Reed Merschat, whose CR Films showed the video world what biketrials was all about in the late 90's. This was before guys whined about having to pay for their vids, or getting them free on the internet.

Tom Hillard of Specialized, who was famous for riding the lead moto on the NORBA cross-country rases, was actually a mototrials guy, who worked to get biketrials going in the NORBA series.

Any company that built trials specific bikes, even if just for one year...Bridgestone, Mountain Goat, Ibis, Klein, Cannondale, GT, Monty, Megamo, Cerveza, Koza and the current crop.

I think the guy who has stuck through it all, a ton of good and and his share of bad, is JP Sickler, the Godfather of U.S. Biketrials. His efforts have brought trials to the spotlight in this country, however small it may seem. Without him, the sport would be relegated to the sideshow at NORBA events, his tireless efforts to legitimize the sport is unappreciated & unknown by many. JP skills at convincing the Euros to journey to the U.S. to share their skills is legendary. Sometimes he may be guilty of getting in over his head, but somehow it all seems to end up okay. JP...thanks from all of us who have benefitted from your efforts, here in the U.S.

11. think

think Guest

It almost seems like an insult that noone has mentioned Randy Vancil. If I ever met a true ambassador of the sport... it was him. Even JP had enough respect for him to interview him for Dirt Rag.

As a hack beginner, I drove 9 hours on a Friday night to a comp in Candytown PA, and slept in the rain under a tarp by my car. As I struggled to wake-up at 6am, I discovered Randy had already been out setting sections. He introduced me to JJ, and scored for my beginner stock class that day, offering us tips and even wrenching for a rider who ripped out all of his Maggie lines in a crash. And he never even blinked an eye at the 35lb Kona I was riding... in fact he complimented it with a sincerity that you can only know if you've met Randy.

Perhaps what stands out most about Randy is his amazingly friendly and outgoing character. As evidenced by this forum and others, trials attracts some wierd folks (to put it nicely), but Randy was a true ambassador. If it were not for him, I would have quit trials after that Candytown comp.

Randy, if you're reading this (and I hope you're doing something more worthwhile!), I wish you and your wife (Sandy?) the best. It's amazing the people you meet when your'e out practicing wheelies!:)

Nick

12. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

yes kevin has spent lots of time editing the footage and all. However i think that many of the people that deserve a mention wouldnt even use the internet, or atleast this forum. The people out there setting up comps etc are the obvious ones.

Im not saying kevin doesnt do this, nor am i saying he does, i dont know, but i think you will find kevin will agree that the work he has put in to the recent footage of vincent has been very minimal compard with that to organise the comp they set up etc. I would imagine that kevin played a big role in that too. I think this comp in particular really had to be up there standars wise as they knew who was comming, but from the footage it still looked to easy for him (vincent) :p Its late, so if that made sense, then ive done ok.

PS im glad he wore his socks.

13. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

thanks for mentioning me but in all honestly, alex is right. i have done so little for the sport compared to other people its rediculous. i dont even consider myself as having done anything for the sport really... thanks for the good words though but thank so many other people before you even bring me up! :) all the people i want to thank have anyready been brought up but i want to thank steve and jp for getting my ass to europe to see the light, jeremy and his pops jim for being super supportive of me and locally akira for not only being one fo the nicest guys ever but for providing a springboard for me to get into trials altogether, being a good friend and for continuing to help me after several years.

14. Pancho

Pancho New Member

Thanks for mentioning me, but you are dead wrong. I've HELPED organize two competitions, and helped out at probably a dozen others. This should hardly put me anywhere near the other names mentioned on this thread.

I would like to second the vote for Akira however. For me personally, I feel like I owe my trials career to him and the ripstoke crew. Those first few comps that I competed in that Akira put on really got me hooked, and they are still the standards by which I compare any comp I go to. THANKS!

In particular I would also like to thank Stephen Maeder. His very useful website was also responsible for getting me into trials. I finally got to meet him in Big Bear, and he was such a nice guy. He really has a passion for the sport of trials, which is great to see. Just goes to show that believing what you read on the internet is a stupid idea.

15. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Kevin and Pancho, what you guys are doing right now is having a big impact on the sport, the work being done on this site...the comments and video and the events that you put on are at the right time, like I said before, I don't know all the movers in Colorado, but they are doing the same thing on a local US comps that Robin has done in local Canadian comps. You guys are putting on good comps that are fair and fun! Right now that is very important to trials in the US, in fact it will always be the local comps that lead to National comps. The east coast has their series to and from what I have heard it is very good too! And of course what Shaun has done for Southern Cal this year is great. Most pro riders would never take the time to do what he has done. Of course he is not traveling much to comps right now and this does give him the time to do something like he did, but he took the time and did it!!!

These things are all coming at a time when trials here in the US has a good chance of making big improvements and what you guys are doing is the right thing at the right time, i know you both think you didn't do that "much" and that you could have done it better, but you did something!

And bubbazanetti that was a great post, very well stated, but you must be "old" to go that far back and at least as far back as I followed your memory is still with you! A very well written post, thanks for the time it took to do it!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

Last edited: Jun 4, 2004
  16. bubbazanetti

bubbazanetti New Member

Think...check my post

#11 think vbmenu_register("postmenu_59253", true);

It almost seems like an insult that noone has mentioned Randy Vancil. If I ever met a true ambassador of the sport... it was him. Even JP had enough respect for him to interview him for Dirt Rag.

Think...I know my post was long, but you find my thanks to Randy Vancil there

17. darkside

darkside Well-Known Member

Deffinitly a lot of good names coming up about the east coast and california scenes. I regret that I only got to california to catch the last few seasons of Sandhill, before trials all but died out in the bay area.

They seem minor in comparison, but there were two shops in the Northwest that were like the only trials shops and/or event promoters that the region has ever seen:

Pedal Works (i think that's their name) from Portland, OR. Small hole in the wall shop that sold Ross and Monty mod bikes back when montys had double crown forks. They put on a couple trials comps at Mt. Hood before going bankrupt, but those comps were where I first met Jeremy V., way back in 1996.

Perpetual Cycle up in Seattle, WA sold montys for a while and always seemed like pretty cool guys to me. Did a couple comps and demos with those guys and I met Bill Robinson through them.

18. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I can't really name names but checkers. I'm sure everyone has dealt with some horrible ones. So those that understand are great.

Section setters. Lots of time and effort.

Organizers.

All the comp volunteers.

19. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

He was only mentioned briefly, but Pete Wilk. I thank him and Craig Dionne to no end. Those two pull the efta series together and are striving really hard to put on a new series for us East Coast riders this year.

20. umby

umby New Member

Basically all Pro riders I think should have a mention, they all push themselves and the rest of trials riders to become better.

On the organization side of things I noticed Mike Koza didnt get a mention. He was the owner of goatwheels bike shop / trials division (back before tim w. broke off and did his own thing)

Also Kevin Brody and Trevor Young, both helped out with numerous events such as EFTAs, and the Plattekill, NY events.

soon as i hit 'submit reply' i will think of alot of names, figures...

-Mike Umbarger