Which mod for me?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RyanMcVicker, Jun 10, 2004.

1. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

I am about 6'3" tall and 165 lbs. I need to know what mod would be the best for me...

Echo Team long 1033mm wheelbase

Koxx Level boss long 1035mm wheelbase

Zoo! Python 1045mm wheelbase

Ive been leaning towards the Python because it is the longest mod. Ive heard that longer wheelbase bikes are recommended for bigger/taller people...

Also, it has the tri seat tube design for a much more stable/stronger frame and ride...

Would longer, or shorter chainstays be better for taller people? Or is the wheelbase the only thing that matters when finding a bike for somone tall?

2. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

I dought that there will be much difference in the Python and Koxx/Echo :dunno: Koxx/Echo are the same frame, it just comes down to - do you want to pay 50 odd US dollars for the Koxx stickers or what not (I do believe that Koxx is slightly nicer in welding etc). As for the ZOO!, it's hard to know what to expect. Previous frames from Zoo! generally have gotten mixed reviews, but if you have your mind set on the python, it will do you fine I'm sure.
    Shorter stays are usually better, no matter how tall right?

3. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

short chainstays = stable
    longer chainstays = power
    ...apparently anyway.

get whatever you want. i don't see length in mods that necessary.

4. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

we're talkin 10mm here between the wheelbase of the Python and the other two. Not the biggest diff.

Go with your favorite one as far as looks go. That is the best way to decide.

5. RyanMcVicker

So I shouldn't choose shorter or longer chainstays based on my height, but on personal preference (between stability and power)?

Ok, thanks guys...

6. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

contrary to popular belief they are not infact exactly the same, but at teh same time they may aswell be. The down tube is completely different and i know the echo has the machining the koxx doesnt. So they cant be exactly the same. As far as wheelbase goes id be carefull about going too big. The inner wheelbase on a mod is so huge, ie the distance between the inside of the two tyres, it becomes hard on rounded rocks etc etc.

7. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

Yes, you are corect in them being the slightest bit different. However, not always are people so concerned on shape of the downtube :wavey So i usually leave that out, as it may just confuse them? :dunno:
    Long wheelbase mods are where it's at. Really long wheelbase mods......not sure how that will turn out. I think Koxx really knows what it's doing when they're sticking at the 1035 or 1030 mark for their long frames.

8. RyanMcVicker

But considering most people just say i should be on stock (long w.b. stock) in the first place because of my height, I think I should go with the longest mod, the 1045 python.

9. Shipley

Shipley ..........

The difference is with a long wheelbase stock you have a smaller area between the two tires as they are larger in diameter. The long wheelbase mods have a much more significant gap between the tires as they're much smaller. The more space you have between the tires the harder it can be to handle the bike on objects that aren't wide/flat enough to make good contact with both of the tires. I'm 6'3'' and I'd probably go with the Koxx or Echo, it's a good compromise of length and usability. Good luck with whichever you get.. let us know how the Python rides if you pick it up.

10. RyanMcVicker

Thanks, but I thought people said 10mm isnt going to be much different than koxx, so its not much more space between wheels, right?