which chain for chris king cog??

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Chris, Feb 19, 2004.

1. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

I have a 16t king cog and tried two different chains. The Koxx chain, and a KMC 1/2 x 1/8" bmx chain. Both skipped, it was impossible to ride...
    every part of the drivetrain was new, perfect chainline etc.

So which chain do u use?

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

King cog, new XT chain, blackspire ring...all sitting in my room waiting for a coustellier. I know kevin has run a king cog for a long time. I have no idea why you are having so many problems, I've never heard of anything bad with em.

3. smudge

smudge Central Scrrrrrrrutinizer

check all the teeth very carefully for burrs that might be causing your problems. I've been using King cogs for a few years and every once in a while, usually when my der. hanger gets bent, the chain will cut into the side of the teeth. When that happens you need to file the burr down so it won't pick up the chain.

I've recently noticed another potential problem...I'm actually bending the teeth forward. It's easier to show than to explain but there are a few teeth with very little material actually holding them to the cog (because of the machined relief) and they're bending forward. I'm waiting for one to let go completely. I've spoken with King about this to which I am told "we do not recommend that our hubs are used for trials." I reply, I'm talking about a cog here, not a hub and I get, again, "we do not recommend our hub for trials."

I've been a huge fan and supporter of King for the better part of ten years, but if they cease to support their products in the manner stated in the warrantee at the time of purchase, then they're going to lose my business.

Sean

4. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

that's strange.. a friend tried the sram 8 speed chain and it also skipped. I have a new xt chain here as well, but I think it will also skip..

the king cog is new, never ridden before, only for two times when I rode down the street to test the chains. And every part of the drivetrain is new... I can't see any damage on the teeth..

5. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

[​IMG]

Heres a close up of a King Cog -vs- a cog busted down from a regular cassette (both 18t.) You can see the big difference between tooth sizes. Anyway I dont know about your skipping Chris but what tensioner do you use? Sometimes how you have it set up can matter. I use my tensioner so it presses the chain up towards the cog, to give tension --instead of pulling the chain away from the cog for tension.

6. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

yea, the teeth are not the same, I thought that this could maybe the reason why the chain is skipping?
    I have a xtr deraileur. Maxbe the chaintension wasn't ok?
    A friend of mine has the same setup except the der. and he just told me that he's now riding a Sram PC48 and it does NOT skip. That's strange because yesterday he tried a PC58 and it skipped. :? :?
    I have a new xt 8 speed chain lying around here, I'm going to test it now, if it doesn't work, I'll try the PC48. Damn that will be the fourth chain then...

7. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

omg.. I'm so happy, I just put on a new xt 8 speed chain, and didn't leave any space between deraileur and chainstay. I think the chain was skipping because there was always some clearance between der. and chainstay, and that way the chain didn't touch the cog properly.
    I pedaled as hard as I could to see if the chain skips.. but it didn't :) I think my neighbours are awake now, because my king hub made so much noise lool

8. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

k first dont use a bmx chain cause a trials bike isnt a bmx bike... and I didn't even know koxx made a chain. i just use an ultegra road cassette and a sachs PC99 chain. never, ever, ever skips for me.

9. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

yea... I've also been using ultegra cassettes and 9 speed chains for years...no problems BUT there was always one cog braking off the carrier... and now I'm running a smaller chainring and cog, and I don't want to use the 9 speed stuff anymore, as the danger of braking the chain is higher.. AND I needed a cog that doesn't dig into the freehub body.. now I have the perfect setup with the king cog..

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Bravo for listening to my first suggestion finally.

And robbie, go tell that to the coustelliers :rolleyes:

11. Chris

Chris Well-Known Member

yea.. but the xt chain wasn't actually the reason why it finally worked :)

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Perhaps, but still :p

13. RobbieP

more chance of breaking a 9 sp chain? I've been running the same PC99 chain for 1.5 yrs and it broke once and I fixed it...not bad

14. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Narrower chains (9 speed) ARE stronger than older 8 speed mtn bike chains...but don't think for a second they will be comparable to a BMX. They have massive amounts of material when compared to pambly mtb chains.

15. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i run 9spd shitmano. i think its of the ultegra range. brand new burns and king cog, smooth as a babys bum.

16. RobbieP

well andrew, maybe YOU just need a bmx chain cause you're such a thrasher rider :rofl:

well u guys sit there and tell me a bmx chain is 'stronger' cause theres more material but I've had excellent results with a light weight mt bike chain...theres just no sense in using a bmx chain if the other one doesnt break... right?

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Robbie seriously use your brain.

I run a bmx because I had nothing else, of course it is stronger- i also fucking hate it...remember how on every ride I complain about it? DERF. No one is telling you to buy a bmx chain, where in the flying fuck you got that idea is beyond me.

18. RobbieP

jk about the thrasher comment.

and ya i forgot that it was the only thing u had...makes more sense. i dunno i was just bored so i felt like arguing.

19. goose

goose New Member

question re drivetrain

Hi everybody,

my question fits this thread well. I've noticed some skips lately, and when I took off the chain, cassette, and chainring, I see some wear indicators. Lots of burs building up on each load bearing face of the 19 tooth cog and front chainring. So my question is how often to people replace their drivetrains? I've been using this drivetrain for over a year, and I ride quite a bit. I'm also pretty big at 6'4", 190lbs.

I'm using a low end shimano 7 speed cassette with a sram 7 speed chain and a steel 22 toogh chainring. I'm not 'completely' sure that it's the chain skipping, it could be my king. I'm not sure I'd know the difference. I recently overhauled my king, though, and only used triflow on the ringdrive. Any comments?

thanx,
    goose

Last edited: Jun 27, 2004
  20. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Are some people harder on chains than others? cuz some claim to never have problems with light weight chains and some have to run really heavy duty stuff. I broke another chain last night with about 20 rides on it. I'm begining to think its me and not the chain.

When you say BMX chain, do you just mean any ol' bmx chain?