when are we to old

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by evileye, Mar 8, 2004.

1. evileye

evileye Guest

when do you think you are to old to ride??
    thanks
    fred

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

When you don't want to ride.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

when your bones break.

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

When your body cant sustain the abuse trials exerts. Quite simple.

5. Elan

Elan steve french

exactly, when your bones break. goddamn boy.

6. evileye

evileye Guest

ok fair enough

7. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

I learned this weekend, there are always Cortizone shots, so like Andrew said, when you dont want to.

8. Justin.L

Justin.L Guest

its too late already

9. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

I have a 1/1 bone to yr ratio. I haven't broken anything ,aside from a PX frame since I started.
    I will keep riding until Elan is better than me..............

10. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Hell, I'm 32 and I plan on riding for the next 20 years!

11. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

If you don't have any serious wrecks, a very long time.

I have done a lot of research and found out that the average male athlete does not reach their peak in stregth events until the mid 40's, for endurance athletes it is the late 30's or early 40's.

Most athletes how ever over train too much when they are young and get burned out far before they reach these ages. The result is many riders stop riding before they ever really reach their prime, because they are riding so much that their bodies do not have time to repair themselves. They think this tired feeling means they are getting too old so they quit. The truth is they were just riding too much no matter what age their age was.

My son Jeremy, only rides about 6 hours a week, this is to keep trials fun! He loves the sport of trials riding, and he hopes to peak in his late 20's and keep riding for many years after that.

Of course, there are times when he rides more, like at comps and training camps, but after over riding he will take almost a whole week off before starting to ride again.

Hans, must be getting near 40 years old and he is still doing demos and riding.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

12. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

well, i ride when i want to, which is a lot. i take breaks when neccessary. this way i can get the most riding done whilst still being healthy. im not to sure about 6hrs a week, sounds a little low. for me, without riding all the time, im like poop on carpet, whatever the hell that means

13. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

This officially has turned into the best site ever. With Jim and hopefully Jeremy posting here, this could turn into the most diverse trials site on the net. Please make posting here a habbit!
    Martin

14. Elan

Elan steve french

the only time i rode hwen i dont want to is when i am hung over...haha

15. bigd

bigd Guest

yay! jim is posting here too now!

i think you're too old when you only think you've outgrown it.

16. evileye

evileye Guest

thanks for all the replys . As a older rider i think i have a issue with the mental stuff like should i go for this line or not i think when we are younger we have no fear and go for lines that us older ones wouldnt consider or is it just me? .Because if it is. Tell me how to get over it.
    Thanks

17. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

Jeremy only rides 6 hours per week? Some crazy stuff.

18. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

Unless he has something special that forces him to ride more that is correct and here are the reasons why.

If you ride past the point of getting tired on a ride, your motor skills get screwed up and you start practicing the "wrong" way. So when he gets tired he stops.

If you do a really hard ride for two hours or less on a Sunday, and then take a day off to rest (Monday), and another day and just ride easy on Tuesday, by Wednesday you are feeling great and you are feeling very strong, so you can ride really well and do things that you could not do, if you had rode, medium hard every one of those days.

Long medium hard rides make you very tired, and if you do too many of them you never fully recover, so you never can do any "really" good hard days. Yes, those long medium hard rides can be fun, but if you are not improving and want to improve, try doing less of them. At first Jeremy missed those type of rides, but now he is improving so much faster training this way that he likes it better. He has been doing only 6 hours a week for about 2 to 3 years.

Remember, it is on those hard days that you are able to do things you normally can not do. It is practicing those type of things that help you to push yourself and see improvement. By only doing two hard days a week at the most with a few easy days thrown in to practice small balancing moves, he has more days when he feels really good and goes out and can do moves that he normally would not make.

Making these tough moves is very encouraging, since you are always improving. Jeremy is improving more in the last few years than ever before, and it is because he limits his hours on the bike and works very hard at resting. This also makes him very excited and eagar to go riding the next time he goes, this keeps his mind fresh as well as his body.

It is the quality of your practice that helps you to see the most improvement.

I hope this is interesting to you and gives you a different point of view when it comes to training, I don't believe more training is better, I believe more days of good training are better, and some times, you can only do more of those days, by doing less and getting rest!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

19. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

Its the same for me especially now that I am going to be 25 this year WOW!! :eek:

20. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Something to keep in mind before you guys all go out and only ride a half dozen hours a week- like jim said he rides till he is tired. You will get tired fast doing huge ups and gaps and the like- this is what happens when you ride at a high expert/pro level. For you beginner guys and sport guys still learning the basics I would suggest just riding all the time- as much as possible.

I have a similar deal to jeremy, but I don't have it pre-planned: some days I can ride all urban big moves and the next day I'm just super powerful, not sore at all for some reason...other days I'll just ride small balance things and the next day I'm useless- I just put the bike down and take a day or two off. If you're body isn't agreeing with you and you're riding super goony, don't waste your time getting frustrated and possibly hurt just because you are stubborn and really want to ride- there will be other days...