Wheel Build Question

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, Mar 4, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey, I'm thinking of getting a HOPE rear hub,I know their not as nice as Chris King, but I really dont want to spend so much for the rear hub. Is it weird to run a rear disk hub laced to a DX-32 but using V brakes? Will the extra spacing mess up the dish of the wheel?
    Byron

2. Elan

Elan steve french

it is doable, some even prefer to use the disc version over the non-disc when building a rear..

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

Also, does anyone know the number of engagements on teh Hope XC rear or Hope Mono Rear hub?

4. bigd

bigd Guest

dont know about the engagement, i think its 1/24 of 1/36.. again, not positive. anyways, building a rim brake rim to a disc brake hub is fine, you won't have any problems at all. the hope xc is a good hub from what i hear, reliable and durable.

5. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

21 indeed.

As for using a disc hub and running run brake - its not a problem at all. The flange spacing is virtually the same as a non-disc hub anyway :)

6. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I ran a hope XC (which is a disc hub) to a dx 32 for a year and a half...fantastic combo, loved that hub- never had to tighten it once, never had even a HINT of skipping with er either.

7. Shipley

Shipley ..........

I still don't understand why anyone would run a hub with that little engagement unless they needed a disk hub. Yeah, they're pretty reliable but the Shimano's silent clutch has been all but bulletproof on the wheel i had and three other riders i know. I think Novatech? makes a version also and i've heard that one's as strong if not stronger. Silent clutch, good bit faster than 36 points engagement, and around 25 bucks cost? For a hub to last till you save for a King i don't see where you could go wrong. Just my 2cents though... :joshers:

8. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

My hope xc has skipped a few times. But never under power(like a gap or something). But lately it has gotten a bit strange. Like I can hear the pawls engage one at a time. I'm afraid that one day I'm gonna kick before all the pawls have engaged. And then I'll be fucked. I counted 22 egagements. But I may be wrong of course. Next hub will be a silent clutch if I can get one. My mate has one. Maybe I can buy his...