What's wrong with my King Hub?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialspads, Dec 17, 2004.

1. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Ok so after I was riding for few days I noticed that my rear wheel can shift left & right about 2mm by the hub as if something isn't tight in the back.

The shop built this wheel & everything seems to be tight except there's a tiny wobble which is bothering me...what could cause this?

2. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

As the hubs break in, the bearings get loose, this is why your hub is wobbly. Depending if you have the standard axle or the heavy duty axle, the way for adjusting the bearings will be different. If you have a standard axle, check out this other king topic: https://www.observedtrials.net/vb/showthread.php?t=10324

Head over to the tech section of the King site and download the manuals for adjusting and taking care of your hub.

3. trialspads

I totally assumed Chris King = plug & play hub :nuts:. I'll definitely adjust it tomorrow...thanks

4. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

your problem is you bought a king.

5. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

shut up Ed.

Your problem is that you didn't read the manual. Joking, the last post in the thread Roman linked to will solve your problem. There is an adjusting cone and an end cap on the left hand side of the axle, the adjusting cone is the inside one with the four notches, this is what you have to tighten down before you do up the allen keys again. Read the other topic. Don't overtighten it though, finger tight is fine.

- Joel

6. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

yeah, why did you get a king when you could have gotten a XTR Grey Silent Clutch?!?!?!?!

7. trialspads

I never read a manual for anything LOLOL. It's a bad habit of mine. Looks like the cone is turning & the hub is not wobbling any longer...kinda explains it.

Gonna go grind my rim today & adjust my stem height...I think my body is finally getting used to the frame geometry....

8. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

:ugh2:

you just bought the equivalent of a learjet and you didn't read the manual? I call that an expensive habit.

- Joel

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yeah bro really.....beat the piss outta the hub itll take it, but only if u baby it w/ maintance....

10. trialspads

Just an update...I took the hub apart the other day. It was a bit scary but I watched the video few times & got to work. I'll probably get the kit from CK one of these days but I cleaned the axle (it was loose by the way) and relubed everything with Tri-Flow lube.

Now I know why people say it's LOUD. It's loud cruising but I kind of like the sound. It only skipped once while riding and never when I'm torquing only doing gaps. *thank god*

I'm making sure the cones aren't loose before each ride....