what will changing my fork get me....?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by xxxfr, Aug 18, 2004.

1. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

hey all,
    as some of you kno im riding a zebdi mk6. right now i have the following front end set up:

planet-x kniffen 400mm
    fsa pig dh pro headset
    10mm spacer
    thomson 50mm x 0 deg stem
    woodman 29.25" x 0.5" bars

ever since i got this bike (from my stp) i can manual for shit and i cant add anymore headset spacers because my steerer has already been cut (i got the fork for free from a friend)

if i change my frontend to something like this, what will it affect, except for making it easier to pull up:

planet-x kniffen light 420mm
    fsa pig dh pro headset
    5mm spacer
    thomson 50mm x 0 deg stem
    woodman 29.25" x 0.5" bars

that should be a 15mm rise in my bar height, 1 deg sloper geometry, slightly longer wheelbase, etc....

will this hurt my riding at all, my riding style is technical urban stuff i guess, im definatly not looking for uci geo, hense the zebdi [​IMG]

also, would it be a good idea to switch to the planet x ghost and a longer rigid fork for my next frame, ive heard that longer rear ends are better for bunny hopping and stuff......

eh, enough rambling

thanks!

2. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

i would try a higher stem(from friends) befor spending alot of $$ for a new fork:dunno:
    And besides your manual problem, why you wanna change anything in the first place?

3. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i dunno, i want to get the kniffen light to save weight, and i was able to manual before i got this frame....but i had 2" bars and a 3" travel fork on it...

4. atypical

atypical Guest

I'd get the fork, it sucks not being able to manual when you want-

5. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

How big impact does the bike have on manuals. I gather a pitbull with a really low frontend isn't ideal for manuals. But how much easier will a "manual friendly" bike be for manuals? I'm really trying to nail manuals these days. But the progress is slow a best. How long did it take you guys to learn manuals?

6. PJL

PJL War is Peace

Have you ever seen that Polish vid 'AntiGTrial'? One of the guys in there does about the biggest manual I've ever seen, on a straight up pure trials bike, and he's in a weird position, almost standing upright. Anyway, a lower front end isn't going to help, but that said it is not that hard to overcome.

Also, if you want to do some manuals straight away, to figure out the leg pumping motion, get ahold of a Specialized P-series bike or any bmx bike; they are sooo much easier to manual than trials bikes.

I don't know how long it took me to figure it out, I'm not sure that I have yet. It's one of those things that sometimes it just works perfectly and you can go a long way, and other times its hard just to go a few meters.

7. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea like one of my lines that i used to nail everytime on my stp was like a hop up a curb, into a 15 foot manual, and hop down like 4 stairs. now that my spin moves are getting better i want to change the hop to a 180 bunny hop to fakie down the stairs, but im not confident enough w/ my manuals on this bike, maybe its true about the longer stays really make it easier to manual....hmmm....... o well i cant afford anything right now, i need a winter job :-(