What way do you get on your rear?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Feb 25, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I was experimenting with getting onto my rear yesterday and was curious how you guys get onto your rear.

I found everytime I tried to pedal hard into it, my body would have to compensate for the momentum and lean foreward (bars would come to chest before I would be "in position"), before I could lean back and start to hop stationary. And most of the times, I would just get to correct my balance then the front would already be too low and I can't keep it up....

Then, I tried trackstanding, or really low speed and just bunnyhop and land on my rear. More like a Bunny hop and push out the rear. I'de already be in position when I landed, but found at times I wasn't COMPLETLY listed and would be leaning to the side like 4/5 times. But could hop stationary longer than I could with the pedaling up.

I noticed with BOTH I had my rear travel like almost to where my front WAS on either situation, so I'de be on the ledge edge with either. I'm just wondering which of the two is the bad habit I should stop...I'm guessing it's the pedal one considering I have to correct balance first.

I've watched vids (as there's nobody around to show me) that most of you just kinda lift up the front and start hopping, and no ground is covered. Like you locked the wheel, then leaned back and started hopping....is that the way I should learn, or is that just kinda what it evolves into when you're comfortable doing it and used to doing wedges, etc where you have no available ground to cover?

2. themonggoose

themonggoose Guest

Unless there is a reason to bunny hop to rear, like maybe your rear tire is right on the edge of something, you'll always be better off pedalling and pulling up and back on the bars to get on the back wheel. With the right technique, like more pulling and leaning than pedalling, you should find you can get it up with the back tire moving just a few inches forward or less.

Once you're up, real good back wheel technique is to try to eliminate as many hops as possible. Think like a trackstand on the rear wheel. You can let the brake off a bit and roll forward a fraction, or use some body language to balance there. The best guys can hold it in one place for a good 10 or more seconds without a hop. Hopping is a last resort!

3. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

The way i learned was to do an endo, then transfer my weight back to get up to rear wheel, keeping brakes locked. Then try to find my balance point with small rotations of the pedals and small hops.

The best pointer i had was if you are falling backwards, hop backwards, if you are falling forwards, hop forwards, and so on.

hope it helps, i dont explain things very well especially after ive been drinking at work :bigthumb:

:drool:

4. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

When I was learning I usually did a small endo and when coming down I used the momentum and pulled the bike up on the rear wheel. Maybe a small pedal kick if needed.
    I made a video a few months ago which I think shows it pretty good.
    http://www.home.no/tenkom/video/opptilbash_drop.WMV
    It's about 1 MB.
    Hope it helps. These days I usually pedal kick up like you said putting my rear wheel where my front wheel was.

Hehe. I see someone beat me to it... But you should watch the vid. It's fairly plain. It's only one meg anyway.

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

yeah, that shows it real good. I was actually trying the little endo thing yesterday, I found that when I endo'd though, my pedal position were outta whack when I got on my rear, so I immediately stopped trying that way. Maybe I'll try that again and try to pedal kick it foreward a little if it isn't raining :rant2:

I think with your way, it looks like you did a little pedal kick to move the bike foreward a little. Maybe this'll get pedal kicks a little faster, but I'm not really worried about that. I want the balance and pivots before I try anything of that sort.

6. ty

ty Guest

i learned by facing up hill then just lean back and hop, try to hop BACKWARDs on the rear wheel, and then work on just hopping on the rear wheel, then try some pedal kicks.

7. Elan

Elan steve french

i learned the hans way, the endo... then from there, when you are dropping off of somthing flat, you do the roll or a little kick then a drop.

when you are on a rock or somthing with unevel elevations, you gotta do teh hop to rear.

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Just came back from a little 20 minute session before it pours.....got REALLY windy. :down:

Anyhow, I can get on the rear more consistently now with the little endo then lean back with like a slight pedal just to get them to the right posistion and get me to the BP. Afterwards, I start leaning to the side after about 2 seconds. I can do little hops, but they don't correct much, so all I'm really practicing is getting up there and staying listed, atleast I can get up there now :bigthumb:

We'll see, hopefully I'll have decent balance on the rear after a week or so and can actually do SOMETHING and try to attack some jetty's.....

9. Elan

Elan steve french

try surges..you use surges on rocks 95% of the time, and pedal kicks arent as useful.

by all means keep doing teh kicks, but definately take time to get good at surges/lunge (or wtfever they're called), because that is the msot usefull.

10. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Surges...that's a static foreward hop and landing on the rear right? If those are, that was it looks like everybody does in the vids to get on thier rears, I see Andrew does that alot....spiffy

11. Elan

Elan steve french

thats a surge to rear, but yea, basically a static hop forward... andrew does it all teh time, yes.
    it makes for a very smooth ride

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

For surges to rear, I do this because it gives you 100% confidence. I don't have to worry about my tire slipping when I pedal kick or any bullshit like that...on gay flat gound and things where you don't have to worry about that a pedal kick is just fine. I learned going to rear back in the day by just pulling back and hopping, then later on doing and endo and just hopping. I'm pretty sure I looked like a retard.

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah that's the thing about endo to rear...looks too "set-up-ish". And it's like you're relying on an endo to get on the rear....not a good way of starting things, depending on one thing to do another....Also you can't do it everywhere....not really ideal.

I think I'm gonna start practicing for surge to rear...less variables other than landing straight. Alot harder, considering I can't surge hardly anywhere, but it makes for a better rider down the road, much like not using your bash to up on things...eh prolly not a good analogy :rofl:

14. Elan

Elan steve french

i did the endo trick for about6 months until i got good enough to completely forget about it.

15. silus2000

silus2000 New Member

I'm just starting out, and I learned the best way to get comfortable on the rear is to first learn how to get up there the EASIEST way possible. I'll worry about that surge to rear and other methods later. Personally I dont use the endo, I just trackstand, then shift my weight back and pull on the bars. When I first started trying it, I had to hop backwards. Now I can sort of hop in place, and I guess later I'll be figuring out how to go forward. Main thing for me I think is just logging as much time as possible on the rear wheel.

16. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

About the surge. Is strength the main thing here or is there some kind of über technique. Whenever I try to do them it feels really heavy and I can't really do them very well(or at all). The pedal kick to rear works fine for me though as long as the front wheel isn't more than 10" or so above the rear wheel. But I would really like to learn how to surge. Wither way I guess it's just about doing it alot.

Edit: Does it help to let go off the brakes when tugging the bike up/forwards?

17. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Go watch that video that i say "you must watch this movie"- the hungary koxx video. You will see surge to rear in perfect form, without any strength being used- all form. Look especially when limp wristy is on the logs, he puts his chest far down and then just hops forward. Once you get good at this, you can use an over hanging front wheel without brakes at the right time to shoot you forward, as well and not holding the rear brake on certains lopes to give you a massive boost as well (rubber band like effect from your frame/fork flexing and tires compressing)

18. themonggoose

themonggoose Guest

That Koxx video with Pav in it is dangerously close to making me hate trials. No doubt he's a class rider, but look at what he does - it's all hopping bullshit. He rides his bike like a pogo stick and barely does a single pedal stroke. He hardly needs a front wheel, and his back brake might as well be a stick in the spokes. Mod bikes are the work of satan I tell you. Yeah, yada yada yada he's better than me, but if I ever rode like that I'll give you all permission to shoot me in the head.

19. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr Guest

rocking...then pick up and do small pedal kick. btw, if you can balance well no matter how low your front end is on flat ground you should be able to pedal kick and regain balance.

20. BiKe4EvEr

BiKe4EvEr Guest

why the hating? he's an incredible rider :bigthumb: :eek: so what if he's not into many front wheel moves