What type of drill bit do you use for drilling rims?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialsmasta, Nov 17, 2004.

1. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

What type of drill bit do you use? jobber, step, hole drill etc? What should I use for best results?

2. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Hole saw, but an actual metal drill bit works best. But in cdn funds a 3/4" drill bit costs like 34$ So for one drilling...I dont think it's worth it. Borrow one.

3. Tanner

Tanner New Member

yeah, and good luck finding a drill that can fit a 3/4" drill bit without having to remove the chuck

4. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

Some are 3/4" all the way down the bit...but most are like 1/2" or 9/16" so you can actually use it with regular chucks.

5. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Most drills are 3/8", so even still, that'd suck. Most of the heavy duty drills are 1/2" or 5/8"

6. digby

digby New Member

do center punch it

dont use a hand drill.

I skipped the first one, did the 2nd one. Almost snapped my wrist off a bunch of times.

7. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

I don't think my rim will fit on the drill press at work. I'm pretty much stuck with the hand drill

8. digby

digby New Member

better get yourself a wrist brace.

9. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

I use a normal drill bit, 27/32", goes well, and a hand drill, ive drilled out 3 rims so far, never had a problem, but you need to slowly increase the size of the hole. Start with a really really small drill bit, and just work your way up skiping a few drill bits each size upgrade. Works well, takes a long time though.

10. norco tt

norco tt New Member

if i was u i would go to a bike shop and get it done if its cheat..........then if they screw up u get a new rim

11. seandom

seandom New Member

use the hole saw. i got great results with mine.

12. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

Did you use a hand drill?

13. seandom

seandom New Member

yup. i just held the rim between my legs and drilled down through it with the hole saw.

14. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

BUY A TRYALL RIM

15. GarthMc

GarthMc Active Member

If you want the best holes, do it in three stages, first with a centre drill, then with a 10mm mill piece, then with your final hole size mill piece. And do all of that in a drill press.

Mill pieces are the shit they leave the smoothest looking hole possible as their sides are designed to cut, not just as flutes for removing cut material.

16. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I was thinking the same...hell they even have super wide rims. Who cares about the brakes :rofl:

17. trialsmasta

trialsmasta Guest

Are you talking about end mills?
    http://www.nachi-fujikoshi.co.jp/eng/new/pre/img/dlc.jpg

18. GarthMc

GarthMc Active Member

I'm not sure what they're proper name is, but it's the same tool you would use if you wanted to cut and L Shaped (or other odd shape) groove in the surface of a bit of metal.