What to look for?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by TJumper, Jul 20, 2004.

1. TJumper

TJumper Guest

Hey guys,

I am buying a 2nd hand trials bike soon. Or lookign at some. But what are the main things to look at with a trials bike. It's a mod. So yea. What are the main things to look for. It's a raceline rhyno. Thanks.

2. BenR

BenR Active Member

Does it have any dents? If it has maguras do they leak? How old is it? fork size. Are the tires worn? Thats about all i can think of. :blah:

3. B1105

B1105 New Member

I guess frame quality is most important, make sure no cracks, dents, deep scratches, and crap like that.

4. TJumper

TJumper Guest

Cool. Well, it's justr a stock raceline rhyno. So it has shimano v's as brakes. So no leaking haha. It's a 2003 Model. Dunno bout tires and thigns liek that. But yea. I know what to look for on a mtb but is there anythign specific to trials bike that is mahjorly diffrent from my dh bike to look for? Thanks guys

5. Elan

Elan steve french

not really.... im not sure about the rear wheel size..im pretty sure racelines are 19"..? might want to make sure

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

check around for cracks carefully. make sure there are no dents. scratches aren't too big a deal, considering you will scratch it up loads because you will be learning.
    make sure that the tyres have decent thread, and check the cranks out. if they are loose then that's a problem. same with bottom bracket. crank scratches are perfectly normal for ANY trials bike, regardless of you UCI you are, you still will mess up sometime.
    umm, seeing as you know a lot about MTB's, that's pretty much it.

7. sharpe

sharpe Guest

that raceline sucks if it's the white one. not sure if it's the newer one with the black paint and half resembles a brisa.
    i have an old white raceline frame sitting on my bedroom floor with a fat crack in it.

8. TJumper

TJumper Guest

It's a whiteframe, with black chainstays, and black forks. But just cause you snapped your's doesent make it a bad bike. I have a fiend who snapped and Ornage 222, it's not a bad bike.

9. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

the main thing that snaps the frames of raceline rhino mods is gretchy kids bashing the crap out of it. Cracks occur around the bashplate area because of a design flaw, well intentioned, but poorly thought out. All of the bashing force goes straight into the aluminium welds around the BB, because the plate isn't suspended like it is on all other mods, it is pressed right against the frame, essentially. So with rhino mods, look for signs of heavy bash use. I used to have one, but all I had to ride on were logs, so damage through bash wasn't an issue. I think mine, therefore, was just about the only one in the country that didn't crack. I think the X-alp uses a conventional "suspended" bash and might be a better option therefore. I think it's steel as well?

- Joel

10. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

either way it will be a good bike to learn on. where in oz are you>

11. TJumper

TJumper Guest

Hmmm. The bashplate had been vvvvvvveerrrrrrrryyyyyy heavily used. Lots of scrathes on it. Hmm. Might lookf ro a diffrent one. Ok thanks guys. Ohh I am in brisbane.