What is considered a good mark in the SAT?

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by Simonk, Oct 24, 2004.

1. Simonk

Simonk Guest

Just wondering.

2. CoppellStereo

CoppellStereo Ruff Rider

anything above 1300 is a good score i would say, but i would say avg is like a 1000

3. willapaj

willapaj New Member

1600 combined score is the best you can get...

But who cares, standardized tests are crap. Glad I'm way past that silly stuff... GRE's here I come.

4. atypical

atypical Guest

It didn't matter for me, just had to take the thing- I was top 10% in my High School and the University I applied to took top 10% no questions asked. I think I partied the whole night before, 2 hrs of sleep, 2 hrs to drive there, two raw eggs eaten before the test and pulled 1280 or something. That was about 12 yrs ago (WTF?) and raw eggs SUCK! But whatever works.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

uhhh... well i know 1350 first try gets you into the university of colorado. pffft.

i think i heard something like 1000 being "good end of average" as someone said already.

6. MegamoMidwest

MegamoMidwest chicago crew

hey I just recently took the PSAT I wonder what I got, they were super easy.

7. nidoss

nidoss Guest

i think i got a 1010 or something on my sat. Wohoo im slighty-above the good end of the average!

8. digby

digby New Member

My friends buddy got a 700. I was in shock so I blurted out "total? for both tests?" Thinking maybe he meant he got a 700 in math or verbal.

he was super pissed. Funny thing is, he graduated and got a job before my ass. Who cares what you get as long as you get into whatever school your trying for.

I think they give you 400 so long as you get your name right, so 700 is pretty god damn poor.

9. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

1200 and above is considered good. 1000-1200 is still above average i think though.

10. Jim Leech

Jim Leech Guest

Here's the statistically sexy answer.

The mean (average) composite score is 1000 with a standard deviation of 200. The minimum composite score is 400 and the max is 1600. SAT scores are normally distributed (the bell shaped curve), so this means that about 68% of all students score between 800 and 1200 and 98% score between 600 and 1400.

A composite score of 600 puts you just above the 2nd percentile (meaning you did as well or better than only 2% of the other people who took the test). A score of 1400 puts you at about the 98th percentile (Kevin's score of 1350 puts him at about the 96th percentile).

11. Lumune

Lumune Guest

1000 is the average? really?

Well, I didn't do too bad then
    i got 11xx abt 3 yrs ago, but only got abt 380 for verbal

12. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

yes it's strikingly similar to the IQ distribution, just mulitplied by 10...I guess ultimately that's what they're looking for, an IQ test...

- Joel

13. Jim Leech

Jim Leech Guest

Well, you're pretty close. Because of the properties of normal distributions you can relate scores on different tests. You are implying that if you have an IQ of 100 (the average IQ score) then you will score 1000 on the SAT. The way it actually works is to ask, what is the equivalent of an IQ of 100 in SAT units? Having an IQ of 100 does not necessarily mean that you will have an SAT score of 1000.

In case you were wondering, I'm getting my PhD in educational research and measurement (basically statistics), so I have a pretty good understanding of how all this stuff works.

14. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I'm getting my undergrad in social psych, and I hate stats.

- Joel

15. Simonk

Simonk Guest

I did alright then. I'm applying for a few unis in the US for september next year, but I really doubt i'll go cause i wont be able to afford it unless i get some kinda crazy ass scholarship.