What is a 'tap'/what is the point of it?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by xxxfr, Jun 28, 2004.

1. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i kind of understand what a tap is, u roll up to something, pull up, let your front tire hit it, and end up on ur rear, the end result is a move that to me is known as a rear wheel, or to rear wheel something, leaving yourself in the position to pedal kick. now, out of my group of riders, i can "up" or "rear wheel" the highest, about 36" to my rear wheel, and i just kinda roll up, and jump to my rear. as far as just hopping onto something, with some speed and a little clippage, my best is 46.5", but ive only done that a few times, and havent tried on the zebdi yet. So, what are the benifets of tapping my front wheel? in vids and stuff im beginning to see taps as a uci style move, not as a bmx urbany style, am i right?

thx

2. Elan

Elan steve french

it is used by about every good rider i can think of, despite their origin or style... it gets you higher. for instance, how much run up do you have to have to get do your highest up to rear? if you cut that run-up in half you couldnt do the up. but hte tap allows you to have very little run-up and be able to up the same height... that is atleast one benefit of it i can think of.

3. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

hmm....yea, there arent too many night moves in my riding yet....ive only been trialsin for like 2 months

4. Elan

Elan steve french

well if you dont have the night moves i can only recommend Bob Seger for you.

5. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

night moves?
    A tap will get you higher, it transfers forward momentum into upward momentum yes?
    If you're only been trialsing for 2 months, chances are you might not be ready for it. You're pedal uping stuff right? (as in x foot y foot etc and then as you are still pedaling you hop up to rear wheel) If so, just try and tap your front wheel on the corner of the obstacle. Start a litle bit closer than you usually do...Oh, and taps can be done with a lot of speed (big runup), with no run up (lots of power), but it's real hard to do them with no speed/no run up (seeing as your front end will shoot straight up, and you will fall off the back of the bike....at least that was my problem.)

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

tight* moves....

and no, i'm always coasting into my ups, atleast a few feet b4 whatever im upping, im coasting

7. Elan

Elan steve french

night moves is a song by bob seger. i am afraid to pedal up anything since my bike raped me last time i tried it..tap ups are more controlled you will find.

8. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

:werd:
    if your bunnyhopping into stuff, forget about taps. They will be near impossible. They're a great move to have, don't get me wrong, but they won't help you out on natural / competitions. Plus, if you find yourself short of run up, you can kiss all that hard work good by. Go learn a pedal up. Start w/ bad foot, pedal through to good foot, and once your good foot comes around you just hop up. Make sure that you are pedaling through your up, don't stop pedaling before (which would make it a bunnyhop). See? Good, now practice ;)

9. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, ummm....pedal and hop......sounds like im back to the curb for that one...haha

10. Elan

Elan steve french

watch a video of like vincent hermance for instance. it makes everything a lot easier to comprehend,. if you watch andrew's vincent video yo ucan get a really goo idea of what to do. watch the green post part really closely.

11. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, i was just watching some dude do taps over and over, im not sure y i have to pedal into it, he basically wheelies into a wall, and somehow ends up on his rear wheel.....im going to try a manual tap on something i can rear wheel next time i ride, i know the perfect ledge actually.....bout bar height. might work, might hurt....well see soon....

12. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

$10 says it will hurt. bunny hops will be harder to be accurate with. I wouldn't bother, just learn the tried and proven way.

13. bwagner

bwagner New Member

take the advice these guys are giving you. I've only been riding trials again for about three months now, and the first thing I learned this time around was to do my "Ups" from a much closer distance. I used to rely on the speed to get up like a bunnyhop, but thats almost completely useless in trials. Sure you'll be impressing people on your street rides, but when going fast, it's much harder to stay on the rear wheel after you get up there, and you never have a long run-up in comps. Trials is all about skill, and a braingame as much as a physical game. Take the time to learn from the guys that have been doing it for a while; like the guys on this forum, and you'll be a much better rider for it. Besides, the first time you do your current biggest up, with only a single or half pedal distance run-up...you'll feel really good about it. It's a whole new feeling, much smoother than just flying at it and powering up the ledge. And remember to have fun with all of it.

14. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea, since i got my zebdi, i can get on stuff and a much slower speed, but for some reason i just cant pedal while im hopping.....i suspose ill just have to start small again....

15. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

If you pedal-up bar height after 2 months that would be damn impressive. I'm still struggling to tap up anything above bar height after 11 months.

16. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i cant pedal up a curb, i can bunny hop to rear wheel bar height

17. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

people say it's nice to have a little bit of everything that you are able to do (You should bother to learn many different kinds of moves, whether that be knowing how to use your bash gaurd, even in you ride UCI, or if that be bunny hopping as well as pedal upping etc...it's just more fun that way, and will make you a better rider). So think of it as if you have gotten the bunnyhop to rear pretty well, now it's time to move on. Sure, the bunnyhop to rear will make you feel better becuase you are upping much much higher than you would a pedal up, but the pedal up is going to be much more effective when it comes to competitions, or rocks.
    You WILL kill your self if you try and bunny hop and tap.
    Learn a pedal up

18. Mehukatti

Mehukatti Guest

how much can you gain height if you use tap versus not using tap? just give some number. 15cm?

19. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

depends on your technique. for a guy like me who's been doing them for several months, i'vve probably gained a good 5" from them, and that number will grow as i keep on practicing. So, it's kind of hard to say how much you will gain, but it's definately worth it to learn. i don't think most people can up 30" to rear wheel without a tap, that said some can up 50" to rear with a tap. the difference is huge....

20. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

well i did my first pedal up today, about a foot and a half to a 4x4" fence rail, from about 3 feet from it. it felt very very odd, but this being the first time i actually went through w/ it, after i did it, it seemed easy enough.