What does this mean?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Lagerhead, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

"The Creepy Crawler rear trials tire provides
    discerning riders with ultimate control for edging, smearing and all around trials dominance."
    (^^^ quote from http://www.maxxis.com/products/bicycle/product_detail.asp?id=303 )

Edging?

Smearing?

Is edging and smearing something I already do, and just don't know what to call it?
    Is it some secret euro thing that I need to learn?

2. Trialsking

Trialsking Retired from Trials

Smearing is a rock climbing term.

For rock climbing it means placing your foot on the flat face of a rock and then standing on it with all your weight(especially a vertical face), but not using any edge or crack in the rock.

So for trials this means the tire will "stick" to a smooth face of rock well.

3. bylsma

bylsma New Member

By smearing, they mean it will grip well on off-camber stuff. Edging means it will not fold and slip when only a fraction of the tires width is hooked on an edge. Basically:

Good for edging = stiff

Good for smearing = sticky

4. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

wow, after years of refering to trials as a parallel to rockclimbing, its cool to see the two sharing terms...

5. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I always thought they were wonderfully comparable, the boring stuck up hikers poo poo the rockclimbers, and the boring stuck up roadies/XCers poo poo the trials riders.

it's in perfect balance

- Joel

6. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I was thinking the same thing when I nearly red pointed my first Expert section last weekend. :)