What do you take with you....

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jul 27, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

When you go on say downtown rides, or natty rides that are far from the car?

I'm kinda curious cause I'm gonna be doing a ton more downtown trips with my BMX friends, but dunno what's "too much" to bring....

Like, maybe have a backpack that has:

Metal levers
    2 tubes
    The two sized allen wrenches for the rear brake and derailleur hangers
    Derailleur hangers

Dunno.....might feel like I'm being over cautious or something, but downtown here, alot of the ledges are marble ledges that pinchflat you really easily.

What do you usually bring?

2. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Gloves, helmet, water if it is summer. Nothing else.

I fix my bike at home, if its a piece of shit something will fall apart on a ride- don't let your bike be a piece of shit.

3. redworm

redworm ninja pants!

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

gloves and helmet, its annoying to carry stuff even though it may save you some time

5. Tanner

Tanner New Member

extra tube, allen wrenches, some spare chain links, water, cell phone, chain tool, gloves helmet.

6. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

I dont usually carry spare tubes, pump, and all that. Mainly because my rear rim and tire fit is monsterously tight and I always break levers. The day I got these pictures I had 2 pinch flats.. had to see my friend at the bike shop and come back again.. go and come back again. Now I just use a higher pressure. Water. Always have water. + basic allens.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. jmkimmel

jmkimmel Active Member

helmet, shins, gloves, 5 mm, maybe water (find a bottle that will wedge between your brake lever and bar for riding between spots) - back when i was rocking an el gato, I brought a spare tube and a mini-pump cuz of the pinchflats.

8. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

my bike and my self most of the time.

9. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

gloves, helmet, little allen tool (has allens 1,2, 4,5,6 i think) that goes in left pocket, cell phone in right pocket, and wallet in rear pocket. you don't need anything else.

taking metal tyre levers and two tubes....derrailuer hangars!? :momaru:

Last edited: Jul 28, 2004
  10. DanBowhers

DanBowhers I farted.

allens, chaintool, water my helmet, gloves are for pussies

11. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

I've got 4mm and 5mm allens stashed on the bike. The rest that I take depends on just what 'far from the car' is.

For an urban ride around town, probably not much else. Small camelbak with water if its hot and during the day.

For a nat ride that we drive to and then ride, I'll take the camelbak full of tools. Wrenches, chain tool, spare links, spoke wrench, tubes, patches, pump, whatever else I can cram in. Most of those rides tend to be a 'ride in one area for awhile' style, so I can toss the camelbak down and just ride. But if its a 'flow and go' nat ride, probably not much more than some water, if that. I can manage with a camelbak doing urban, but it really messes with me on natural.

Most of the nat rides that I do we aren't more than 1/4 mile from the car, usually under 100 yards, so its no big deal to head back for a mechanical.

Oh yeah... and the shins, gloves, and helmet.

12. Tanner

Tanner New Member

oh. crap. I thought this was for a long downtown ride, not little ones. For little ones I do the same as andreas. Cell in right pocket, wallet in left with a 4 and 5mm allen

13. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah, long downtown rides at night(say 4-3 hours?) just going with the flow, no real "spots"...it's florida, so it's still hot as fuck....

14. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

when going on street rides I usually take my allen key set, money.

If I go and ride natty, I will normaly take loads of stuff, spare chain, chain tool, bb tool, spare pedals, water, crank remover, tubes, pump ect ect

All the natural around me is right on to top of the hills, I usually get a lift up then ride home, so its a long way to push is somthing breaks.

(ps, am I the only person without a mobile (cell phone)?)

15. TTownJon

TTownJon New Member

Oh, Yeah I agree - Cuz there is nothing I like more then walking 5 miles home from a riding spot with a flat tire. ;)

Guess it isnt as much of a dela since I dont use my Hot-S WildFolder anymore.

I ditched my derrailuer hanger a long time ago.

16. SHiRLEY_CHiZEM

SHiRLEY_CHiZEM New Member

me.. my bike.. some water.. and a pen and paper to write down all the phone numbers i get from the chicks..

17. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Oh, if I'm going downtown for urban, I'll leave the cell phone and the wallet in the car. Usually the keys too, stash 'em somewhere.

18. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

i never pinch, so i can't relate to even bringing one extra tube on a ride.

i see bringing 2 tyre levers if you are bringning a tube, but to bring METAL tyre levers? you should only need one of those if anything at all.

Der. hangar? that' to me is being waaaay to over cautious. but i guess i carry light, compared to those who bring crank pullers, chain tools, and der. hangars.

19. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah, those crank pullers, chain tools, etc, seem a bit over kill. Like Andrew said, those things would only be needed if you never maintained your ride...

I've broken the plastic levers taking off my tire, so I bought a set of metal ones. I figured Der hangers weigh like nothing, so why not bring them...

20. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

:werd: , I would take all this and a bit of money if I have any!!