What bmx bike?

Discussion in 'The Gutter' started by klophaus, Aug 20, 2004.

1. klophaus

klophaus Guest

I just moved to a place that is within a mile of a bike park. I went over to check it out, and am really psyched to ride some. I don't think the trials bike would hold up and was thinking of picking up a BMX anyway.

Could anyone suggest some complete bikes I should look at (full chromo frame)? Is there that much of a difference between street/park/dirt frames? I'm 6 ft so I figure I should go for at least a 20.5" top tube.

Also, If anyone is looking to get rid of one let me know.

2. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

how much are you wanting to spend? www.danscomp.com has a ton of good deals. You can even pick a frame and do a parts package with it.

I have a Haro Backtrail and i like it, but i will deffinately be upgrading in the future. I would get as long as a top tube that you can find also. It makes anything that resymbles a ramp a lot less intimidating. I would reccomend riding a few bikes and see what you like.

3. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Go for the longest top tube you can, your knees will thank you. My BMX race bike has a 21.5" top tube.

4. Fast Fashion

standard makes a 22.5" street/jump frame.

5. klophaus

klophaus Guest

22.5", that is long! I've looked at danscomp a little bit, seems like you have to spend at least $400 for something decent. I'd probably prefer to spend up to $300 for a used bike so I won't lose quite as much $ if I'm not into it. From what you guys say, long TT sounds like the way to go. Guessing that will be an easier transition back and forth to trials anyway. Saw a new mosh lux 4 star for sale for $300, doesn't seem to bad. I figure as long as there are 3 piece cranks and it's all chromo it should be something I could like for awhile.

How do the street and park frames really differ. I can't really tell just from riding around a little on the sidewalk. I'm afraid to try too much and scratch up something that I'm not sure I want to buy.

Did you guys find riding BMX helped for trials much? Just curious.

Tanner, if I remember right, aren't you like 6'3. I'd imagine most anything would feel a little tight.

6. Ed Gildea

Ed Gildea New Member

my hoffman has a 19.5 top tube.. i hate it

7. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

20.5 is short, thats what my s and m is, and im 5' 9", i love it for me, but 21.5" is a HUGE diff, let alone 22.5", id say try a few bikes

8. Fast Fashion

YES. Anything on a BMX is scarier than anything on a trials bike. It builds your confidence big time. Also a BMX bike is heavier, so it's like weight training without having to hang out with he frat boys in the weight room.

I am only 5' 9" so i can ride a shorter bike... but the longer bikes feel better. You don't have to spend $400 but it will be a lot better bike in the long run. My next BMX i'll probably spend about $600 on, but i'm glad i got a cheaper bike first to learn on.

9. Tanner

Tanner New Member

yes and no. I raced for 6 years before riding trials, and rode some street before hand too. My gate starts gave me explosive power to help my gaps and ups, and it helped my upper body too. Bunnyhops were the biggest help. Before I rode trials, I could bunnyhop 3' and I just transferred that to trials. Yes, I'm 6'3", and everything is pretty small. 3pc cranks and a cromo frame are the thing to get for street.

10. klophaus

klophaus Guest

Thanks for the good advice. The bmx forums are a little tough to get reliable info. Kind of bummed, when looking for a frame with a 21.5+" TT, the bike will be a little more expensive than I expected. Might have to go with Dans Comp. Seems they only have the shorter frames in the local shops.