What bar width do you prefer? Stem?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jun 1, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I'm lookin at bars...LBS can't get in anything other than Raceface Diabolus that's over 27" wide.

So it got me thinkin, what bar width do you guys ride on, for say 90% urban. I have the Monty Green Riser now...it feels nice, but as you know, it's bout to break. And since LBS can only get RF, I'm 99% likely going to order online.....so do you rec a WIDE bar, like a Pazzaz or Try-All bar? Or something more narrow like a Monty or other type of riser bar?

Also, think it's be a wise choice to try out a flat bar with a higher rise stem? Bad idea?

2. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Get a wide bar. 28 inches or better. Urban or not. The only time you'd want a smaller bar would be for straight up street riding bmxish style.
    Echo, Zoo or Try-all bar (new Try-all bar is said to be stronger). Give Pazzaz a shot if you like.
    Don't worry too much about it. It's been said before but focus on your riding. There are riders that can wipe the floor on a ghetto rigged bike with crap parts. You already have yourself a great head start. The most important thing is to go ride it. The more you ride, the more you'll understand how you want your bike set up.

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea I have the Echo Bulge Bar/Stem thingy and its been working really well, super stiff and makes it easy on the rear. I'm actually going mod though so they may be up for sale in the next few weeks if your still interested.

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Gotcha....I'll prolly still be intrested....damn bills ate my paycheck.....

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

really
    fucking
    wide

length of try all's are nice

7. chaloux

chaloux Party all the time.

I could never go back to Monty bars now that I have a Tryall bar and stem setup. On my mod they're great.

8. oicdn

oicdn Guest

So is getting a flat bar with a riser stem a bad idea? I'm gonna prolly end up getting a different stem so I can try out the new stiffer Try-All bars. And If I wanted the Pazazz, I'de need a new stem anyhow.....and trying out different sweeps/rises will give me a better idea of what I'de like....

9. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

I like the flat bars. Like the echo. With a low rise stem. Low fronts rule. Unless you've got a hard on for bunnyhops. And of course. Wide is good.

10. B1105

B1105 New Member

I feel the low rise is nice for on the ground stability but the high rise makes it a little easier on the rear as you can afford to drop the front a bit lower since the bars are closer to you. In that case, I'd say its all preference.

11. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

get bars as wide as you can get em!
    Bar/stem is a totally personal choise, probably not worth asking about on the internet, but whatever.
    I say either pick up an Echo buldge bar&stem combo, brisa if the stem suits you, or a new tryall bar with any stem you like - choose your geometry

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

your lbs is a completely worthless POS.

BULLSHIT they can't get anything other than those.

13. B1105

B1105 New Member

Yea I kinda have to agree, are you sure they can only get Race Face? If they deal QBP or like BTI, which most shops do, they can get the 28incher Azonic Doublewalls which work alright. Thats very odd your shop can get ONLY Race Face.

14. Elan

Elan steve french

the ideal se-up IMO is a try-all bar and a stem that is the largest they carry..stem brand doesnt really matter. i think it is 105mm X 10 degree? anyways, this is what the top three riders in the world use as their set up. and i have had compliments on mine as well

15. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah, sucks ass, they have QBP and BTI, but BOTH says the only bar they've got is the Race Face and the Azonic....nothing else....pretty shitty when your LBS consists of 80% XC 15% roadie and the other 5% BMX.....supposedly both those bars are also backorder, and only 28" anyways......but yeah...LBS sucks, I only get deals there cause I've known teh guys in the back for forever....

16. Raub

Raub Guest

Surprised Brisa hasn't been mentioned! They're a pretty nice set-up, if a little expensive.

I vote Echo though, you can't go wrong with them :)

Just wondering, in what way are the Koxx bars supposed to be stronger?

17. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

18. Raub

Raub Guest

Thanks alot, I guess I really should have had a hunt around for it, I hardly ever come on here so that's my excuse :hs:

May consider getting these for the Boa :)

19. Boo_Berry

Boo_Berry Guest

brisa is super expensive, but they work... i currently hav a roox 29" with a raceface deus XC stem, but the idea is that the wider your bar is, the easier the bike is to pivot, control, and pop the front wheel.
    the only real reason i wouldn't go with echo is that in the past a lot of their components and frames snapped for unknown reasons, but that was eons ago, so no worries. now they make some quality stuff -- bottomline: if u have the cash, go with brisa; if u dont, go with echo or zoo or planet x

20. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

MY GOD DUDE DATES! :rant2: