Wellgo pedals? LU 953?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Jul 25, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Lookin at getting some more pedals. My triple traps died, bought some cheapie BMX ones, pins fell out...rode a friends bike with VPs, and like them, but didn't like how they felt "narrow".

So I looked online and saw Wellgo has a nice VP-ish pedal. But it's wider like a Zuzu, etc and has no inner cage:

[​IMG]

Wider than the Crupi Squares, VPs and Club Roost Go fast...and don't have that inner cage, and look like they grip fairly well....

Anybody have these or have experiance with them? $20 a pop, it looks like an alternative to the VPs cause you don't have to take out that inner cage and it's just as cheap....

2. Janson

Janson Guest

I've used those before, but in black cage.

They are terrible. The cage is really soft, and the teeth just bend on impact, which ain't that great if you slip down hard on a rock or something.

Also, the parts that stick out from the "spider" closest to crank arm snap off quite easily, as the double holes that hold it in place gives too little metal to hold it apart.

They might be good for other disciplines with less pedal abuse, I didn't like mine much at all.

Running a pair of VP's now, they're a little bit bent, but not nearly as much as those were.

3. Ali C

Ali C "bmxer"

yeah, I had the same problems as Janson, except before the cage nearest the crank snapped, they bent out and actually stopped me from pedaling.

steer clear

4. trialskid14

trialskid14 New Member

Dont do it. I had some on my monty and the same thing happened the part of the cage next to the cranks bent out an I couldent pedel I had to get a rock and bent it back.

5. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

those things dull out so fast... it's CRAZY!

6. Lagerhead

Lagerhead New Member

[​IMG]

So far my favorite pedals. They are cheap, light, super grippy, come in several colors, and the threaded part is flanged so the flats don't chew up your crankarms. All of the points everyone else made about the inner piece bending and/or breaking off are true. But it's never been a problem for me. I don't think they would be a problem for anyone who rides UCI style. They are 20 bucks a pair and they last longer than tires.
    I've used a lot of differen't pedals (I did my first comp cliped in.) and have had good luck with the Welgos. I liked the VP's the least. I just couldn't seem to stick to the VP's enough to keep from banging my shins, but I don't think triple traps are very grippy either.
    I just bought a pair of Haro mag small blocks that are working out pretty well so far.

7. 4hun

4hun Guest

I ride UCI style, I still crash occasionally, and when you do those pedals fold like crazy. The teeth fold right over, they wear down like I can't believe, I also had the problem of the tabs bending out and stopping the pedal from spinning freely. The cage screws also come loose after a while. I switched to VP's double cage. They're only 10 bucks more and they are definitely a superior pedal. The materials are better (the cage dosen't seem to fold as easy), they stick your feet better though they do hurt more bouncing off your shins (shinguards).

8. Justin.L

Justin.L Guest

arent u a freerider?

9. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

vp's are 20 bucks aswell...