Weird thing that helped me

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by DaneBrammage, Aug 6, 2004.

1. DaneBrammage

DaneBrammage Guest

Since this forum is all about sharing and caring (!!??), heres a little thing that is helping me be more comfortable on the back wheel. I'm finding that making a mental effort to be light on my feet is really working wonders.. you see I run a low pressure on the rear and as I am only starting to try gapping, I noticed sometimes I was bottoming out the rim while doing my pre-gap hopping. So I forgot about gapping and just concentrated on being light on my feet while on the back wheel-- imagining I weighed 100 pounds instead of 185, etc. etc. Wow it really paid off instantly. All of a sudden I'm aware of the feeling of my feet gripping the pedals and a lot of other things and it just suddenly got easier to 'be up', and I stopped bottoming out the rim.

I'm not any better at gapping than I was though, so that sucks, but for now I'm just enjoying backwheeling the 25' of my porch back and forth. Just like that it got easier. All this time I had been mentally emphasizing how big and burly I was compared to the bike, and now I'm acting like a 100 pound weakling and loving it. Go figure.

2. atypical

atypical Guest

"Float like a butterfly..."

3. sputnik

sputnik New Member

good call. I am gonna try that. . .
    I find that slowing down the pace of my correction hops and just trying to relax overall helps me alot when doin naturals.
    Prolly looks better too