Wedge or Surge

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Andreas, Mar 22, 2004.

1. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

whenever i try and be cool and wedge or surge up an object it's quite hard. i put my front wheel on, lean back over the rear wheel, then pop up and hopefully land on rear. however, i find that many people in videos like alex markwart lean over their handlebars, which is opposite to what i do. i find i can't get a lot of height doing more of a wedge like maneuver, but at the same time i can't figure out the surge way. anybody got some tips? thanks

2. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

angle yourself off to the side a little. doing stuff like that dead straight on is rediculously harder. work on the surge first before you get too into wedges. if you dont have the surge motion down pretty solid then wedges will just give you headaches. bes tthing to do is surge up pallets. stack em up kind of tall for you. surge angled off a little. then as you get more comfortable, move your line up straighter and straighter. once you have that, add a pallet and repeat. once you can get about two feet down pretty well it is a good time to work on wedges. dont expect this to come fast. the wedge is one of the hardest moves you can learn. surges are just developing the muscle memory to do the right timing every try.

3. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

With the surge practice, do you have your front wheel on the pallet stack or on the ground?

4. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

Holy I have thought that many times!

Now I'm kinda confusted, is the only difference between a 'surge' and a wedge the body positions at the start?

5. average mike

average mike Guest

Wedge= With a pedal stroke, kind of leaning back
    Surge= without a pedal stroke, leaning forward over the handlebars

6. RomanR

RomanR DualDisc 26"

also the leaning back with a pedal stroke, can be done with the front wheel on something, though past a certain height the move becomes weird. enter the wedge. pretty much the same motion, only more force is used, and the wheel is in front of the object.

7. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

wedge is when your wheelbase is "wedged" between something. you are using the full reach of your wheelbase to do this. your front wheel is elevated on the face of a rock or you are spanning over a gap.

surge is just a sidehop but straight on.

when your front wheel is on top of something and you are trying to go to rear that is just an old fashioned lunge.

so much different terminology...

8. Allmjm

Allmjm New Member

Displacement is a word that makes sense for me, or a 'front to rear'.
    Martin

9. alexm

alexm Member

hehe, well what i think Andreas is referring to as a surge is what i call a wheelswitch/wheelswap.

image to explain it - where your front wheel is on the object, and you jump so that your backwheel is where your front wheel was.
    [​IMG]

definatly important to have your weight forward in this move. i have been teaching my friends this move and they really cant get their weight forward too well yet.

i still find wedges very hard, i cant go too much higher than wheel height i dont think.

Alex

10. AndyT

AndyT New Member

let go of your front brake.... or your rear brake depending on the slope you are on- for the wheel swap.

you should never be preloading on your front wheel for a wedge/surge :ugh:

11. alexm

alexm Member

just in case you are referring to me andrew when you say "you should never be preloading on your front wheel for a wedge/surge" i dont do that. i was talking about for a wheel swap. although on wedges i use a technique silmilar to kevins, atleast that is where i copied it from. his weight seems much more central on the wedges, instead of really preloading back. works for me.

Alex

12. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

alex you are the king of that move... i can't do it 100% consistant on anything over a foot. higher and i need to put the wheel on and jump in the same motion to get my jump high enough. i think i have pussy arms, i lean insanely far forward and can't jump high enough to pull the bike up with me. when i actually do get it once in a while my front wheel is about 6 inches lower than my back one, because my weight is so low :greddy:

...i need help too :)

13. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

hm, tis getting quite confusing. the move i am looking to learn is exactly the pic of what alex showed us. when i refered to the surge or wedge i meant to say that in both my front wheel is on top of the object. when doing the 'wedge' it's real hard even at an angle. i can get maybe like 12" but not more. i can't even figure out the 'surge'. im not sure how i go about doing it. step by step solution from alexm? that'd be great.

14. Elan

Elan steve french

surges took me forever to get, i dont know why. dont lock your brakes up is the most important thing. there isnta full kick with the pedals, but you still do use a little kick.....and other than that, its 100% body finesse... just figuring out that helped me out.

15. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

k this may help clarify-
    what i define a wedge as is what andrewt did about 1:30 into his newest practice video. i define a surge as someting he did about 4:20 into the video. any tips on either would be good? I would like advice hopefully on both, as eventually i'd like to get both down, but for now im looking for one that will be able to get me up some decent sized stuff (so i can use it on natty when there is no runup or i am going from static). thanks

16. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I find surges (wheelswap) are insanely hard to do on any significant height. Wedges are much easer I find. Personally I initially lean further back the lower the obstagle is, I was also largely influenced by watching kevin, not leaning so far back seems easyer to get the strength.

17. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

i wheelswitched 6 pallets the other day. its not as hard as i always though. just go up and too the side, no kick for high shit.

what andrew said about letting go of your front brake works realy well on thinner objects. i find it realy helps to push down hard on your bars as you are exploding up.

18. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

also the wheelswitch in a bunch of old shit is hot.

19. RideManuals

RideManuals Guest

Yeah andreas I think you got names confused. Surge is when you have both wheels on the ground and the object you want to go up is infront of you and you go from both wheels striaght up the object to either rear wheel or both wheels.
    Wedge is gaping something like in cotrials5.
    What you are talking about has been refered to as a static something or other on a really good how to site, Trash Zen. You can find a link to it on biketrials.com under links, they have cool animated gifs and step by step instructions. O and if this is the right Andreas this is Suteban(aka steven of Stanford)

20. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

[​IMG]

woop, does this clarify everything Andreas?

the one in the bottom right, is that a wedge? i thought so but wasnt sure.