ways to shed some weight from my bike

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Mordax, Sep 22, 2004.

1. Mordax

Mordax American in Canadia

Hey guys

I have a Planet X Jack Flash set up for trials. It's worked fine for awhile now, but now I'm finding that it's just too heavy to do some moves with. I need some advice on how to shed some poundage.

I'm not completely sure of the part make up, but here's some of the things I think might be adding some significant weight.

Tires: Maxxis Mobster 2.5 (rear) IRC El Gato (front)
    Rims: Sim Rims Big Mammoth (rear) Sun Rims Ditch Witch (front)

It's got a Planet X Knifen up front. Magi HS-33s...um...everything else seems pretty light.

So I guess what I'm asking for is maybe some suggestions on lighter parts I could find for it. Thanks guys.

2. nidoss

nidoss Guest

is the knifen the older one that weights two tons? thats what i have and hate it. I guess the knifen lite is a pound or two lighter.

3. pav

pav New Member

Get some other rims, Tryall are pretty damn light, if you get lighter tires you run the risk of pinching easier, if you dont want new rims drill your current ones, drop your front HS33 booster, drill derraileur and go single speed and drop shifter. Lighter hubs too would help.
    Best thing to do is work on making the outer ends of the bike light as this is where you feel the wieght most, not in the centre of the bike. I recently got new cranks and they are alot lighter, but I didnt feel it much at all, biggest differnece is when you change thigns on the outer ends of the bike.
    If you want lighter tires this would help a fair bit too, dont run downhill tubes either.
    Just drill everything for fun!

pav

4. DaleM

DaleM Guest

I have been trying to figure out where I can shed weight as well.

rear wheel is CK hub, Try-all 42mm rim, tioga 2.3 tire, regular old tube, ultegra cassette
    Front wheel is a Mavic D321 drilled 5/8" holes, PX hub (which could be lighter) Specialized 2.3 dual compound tire. very light tire.
    Brisa B26d frame.
    Cannondale Ftty R fork - about 900 grams
    Brisa bar/stem combo with Carbon bar - about 500 grams for the whole setup
    Bonz cranks w/generic shimano BB, 20-tooth ti chainring, Welgo magnesium pedals
    Avid Ultimates on the rear and Magura Louise on the front.
    Little plastic seat.
    Even my grips are light - Soyo

With all of the that it still weighs in at 24lb 10oz.

I want to get it down to 23lbs. the only things I think I can do is Ti BB, new headset, new front hub.

any ideas?

5. chronic

chronic Dungeonmaster's Guide

I would use a 2.0 panaracer fireXCpro for the front, that is what I have and they only weigh like 560grams? Other than that, I dont know what you could do. Take your grips off and use hockey tape instead??
    If it makes you feel better, mine weighs 28lbs and I could give two hoots.

6. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

yea i had my bike down to like 22 lbs, aluminum fork and hot s tires and all that, but i put it back to my like 26lb set up, kniffen heavy, maxxis 2.5 2 ply rear 2.3 1 ply front....its more fun riding a 26 lb bike that worring about my aluminum fork snapping or walking back to fix a flat....

o yea and one of the best places to save weight is dropping your shifter, even if u keep a der, use a piece of cable like 2 foot long and run a barrel adjuster to the cable guide on the frame, im also down to a 4 speed, 21,19,18 off an ultegra (all on the carrier thing) and a 12t king kog, ultegra short cage....

7. aka Mr Floyd

aka Mr Floyd New Member

First, pull out seat, seat tube, etc. and throw away.

Second, take off the seat post clamp and get your hacksaw and cut the frame seat tube down as close to the top tube as possible.

Third, throw bike back on scale and congratulate yourself on a job well done.

This mod has the added benefit of forcing you to stand all the time = burn more calories = take more pounds off my fat ass than removing the seat ever did.

You don't have to thank me.

Todd

8. BrettB

BrettB noob framebuilder

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Sorry if this has all been talked about, no time to read the rest of the posts...

Front end:

You can shed mad weight with a new front wheel- what hubs are you running? A light rim plus a light hub (not necessarily expensive) will take pounds off. Get rid of that 'gato, you can save 1-200 grams with a different tire. Do you ride lots of natural ? What pressure do you run? If you ride mostly urban with over 25 psi in the front, gofor a skinny rim- tons of weight saved there...with the skinny rim you can run 90 gram 1" tubes as opposed to ~150 g 2.1" tubes. For cheap weight savings , you can drill that rim you have right now- but it really is a tank.

Second, get rid of that fork- get an echo urban, very light at around 800 grams I believe (there goes another pound or so...)

What stem/bar combo are you running? Headset? Everything counts in the weight game...

That rear rim is a problem, try out a drilled dx-32 or just a regular dx-32 (better anyway, if not lighter). What rear hub do you have? What is your cassette? You can drop weight with only using 3-4 cogs instead of a 9 speed cassette. How long is your chain? Weight can be dropped there as well- take out as many links as possible. Your rear tire is important, stick with that.

BB's are usually an easy place to drop weight, what do you run right now? Pedals as well- there are lots of cheap magnesium pedals on the market that are very light and rock. Derailler? Skewers?

Hope this helps...

10. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

Getting extra weight off your bike is always good, but if you concentrate on practicing and riding, you will improve faster than by tinkering with your bike.

I need to lose weight. Off my gut, not my bike.

11. DaleM

DaleM Guest

The only reason I am trying to get weight off my bike is bacause I can; I work in a shop so why not use the discount.

What somebody said about breaking parts due to light weight. I have not broken any parts on my trials bike, not even bent a wheel. I suppose it is because i am a smoother rider than people would think, or, that I am not interested in big drops - they simply do not interest me.

So my only motivations are to make sure I have all top notch stuff and to have fun. if I could shave a pound off the bike in the process that would be good.

12. AndyT

AndyT New Member

...Or you don't ride hard enough. Not saying that you suck by any means (I don't break many things as well), but top riders break shit alot.

13. DaleM

DaleM Guest

At 34 years old I do tend to ride within my limits, especially since I have not had health insurance for 4 years. Now I do though, so who knows.

Also, I spent a summer riding with Cris Santos and Nelson Reis and neither one of them broke anything for the entire summer, except for one Brisa fork during a hook. And, I would consider the 8-11 foot drops those guys like to do often as big.

ANYBODY CAN BREAK PARTS. I work in a bike shop and see 130lb people bring in broken frames every year, I am 245lbs and have not broken a frame in 10+ years. If a person knows how to ride smooth then shit does not break, often. I also have had only 1 pinch flat this year and I ride 24-27lbs in my rear tire. For a 245lb person that is crazy low preassure.
    I dont want to get into a pissing match about hard riders, the fact is, some people break shit because they "ride hard" and have no skills and others who "ride hard" that do have skills and break shit very rarely. There is a third catagory of people who just ride bikes all willy-nilly around the parks and trails.

14. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Switch your rear Maxxis for a 2.35 on the next tire buy, and a Panaracer FireXC 2.1 on the front. The Maxxis in that size i've run on my Mammoth with really good results (aside from natural that is-gets a little sketchy)... stupid low pressure and pinched maybe twice the entire time i ran it. The Pana is light, has pretty good grip, and actually really good pinch resistance for such a small tire. My rear wheel built with a Mammoth has taken a serious beating for about 2 years now and that's after it was drilled with 1/2 inch holes so drill it and shave some weight until you're ready to build a new one.

If you remember anything else you're running that would help..

15. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

cassette, B.B., pedals, rims, fork

16. Elan

Elan steve french

id get a set of v brakes..even if the weight savings is minimal, youll be happier no doubt. defiantely get a lighter tire unless you are over 200lbs, the maxxis weighs over 3lbs. echo urban fork is definately the way to go, but if you like the length of the planet x kniffen you can get the echo pure fork also.

17. airmj

airmj Guest

whats a nice light front hub? i'm running a deore disc front now... the axle is broken. So i'm looking to save some weight in the front in the process :D

was thinking of a ck front iso, but uh... i'm sure there's something of the same weight that's lighter :(

18. Elan

Elan steve french

the lightest front disc hub available is the WTB laserdisc lite, its like 150grams. i have been using this hub for the last 8 or more months, its holding up very well. it has cartridge bearings and al lthat good stuff. i think its like $80 however.... you might be able to get it in 28hole and then you could use the try-all front rim and some light ass spokes and you would have like a 1lb wheel.

19. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i have a king up front, the main reason i got it was because i was tried of breaking front axles, the king is mint, but unfortunalty it prolly will never get broken in....

20. airmj

airmj Guest

was checking around on reviews and stuff... hope xc seems to be the best weight/strength/price compromise...mmm~ half the price of a king front :)

anyone using a hope xc disc front?