Water bleed problem?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Shipley, May 17, 2004.

1. Shipley

Shipley ..........

So I got this great distilled water bleed. It was great. As great as great gets when it's better than Magura fluid. That's pretty good. At any rate.. I've got some slow retracting pistions that showed up just this very evening after about 2 weeks since the bleed. My first guess is the piston seal in the lever is drying out from the water and slowing down the return spring action stuff? I'll try dropping some Maggie fluid in there tomorrow. Just figured I'd get some info from those with experience with water bleeds. Any extra tips on keeping the water bleed running well would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Same thing happened to me. I put maggie oil back in and will never go back to water. Only difference is the lever action is a little slower. The brakes does not become more powerfull.

3. chaloux

chaloux Party all the time.

I also just bled my rear Magura with water, and SO FAR it's been great. It's been just less than two weeks, so maybe this is going to happen to me too? I'm not positive, but I think that with water the brakes need to be bled a lot more.

And no, they're not more powerful, but they are definitely the nicest Maguras I have ever felt in my whole life ever. haha

4. kamil

kamil Guest

i bleed my brakes with water too, because i use old cylinders they leak over time so i try to bleed them every two weeks or so, depending on how much i ride. Everytime that I bleed my brakes i also lubricate the seals, i turn the bike on it;s side, pull off the brake pad, clean the seal (with a screwdriver or something small enough to get in there) then i drop oil on the seal and press the brake several times just to get the oil covering it. Besides the leaking i haven't had a problem, and i credit my leaking to running Magura Blues cylinders from like 1997 or somthing.

Best feeling brakes i have ever come across.

5. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

no one ever claimed the brakes would be more powerful with a water bleed. how could it be? everyone did however say the lever feel is much better. i dont know how many times i posted that on the net.

if your pistons are getting sticky, you may just need a drop of lube on the pistons. if that doesnt fix it, there is a chance your water is seeping out a little. sometimes its hard to tell when the water is leaking because it evaporates and doesnt leave much of a sign like the oil does. you may have just enough air in the system to make it act funny but not feel all that much different. if the lube doesnt fix it, rebleed it- that should take care of it.

6. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

where can i get distilled water and exactly what kind should i get? im going to be trying this sometime soon. :bigthumb:

7. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

Yo Andreas, distilled water can be purchased from your local grocerey store in the "water" isle. It goes for around a $1 a gallon.

Second, I have had my brakes bleed with water for a long arse time. It's just like regular magura oil though. If your you use your TPA a bunch to dial in the distance of your pads, instead of setting your brakes up right, your pads will do the crazy slow retract thang.

8. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

This reminds me of something. When I try to set up my 33s right I cannot push the cylinder in far enough for it to be close enough to the rim to get the right pull. I always have to use my TPA a little bit. Is it just my pitbull is gay and the brake bosses wont let me push it in farther?

9. AndyT

AndyT New Member

What rim do you have uownme? You should be able to get both of them nice and close with a dx or try-all especially..

10. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Thanks for the advice everyone. I'll get the pistons cleaned and oiled and see if that helps.

11. chaloux

chaloux Party all the time.

do you have to use distilled water? I used "normal" water (room temp. from my tap) and it's been fine so far.

12. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Distilled is distilled because it doesn't have minerals and particles in it. It's often used in certain situations (liquid cooled PCs, Irons, etc) because it won't conduct electricity (thereby causing a short if there was a leak or spill). I think it would just be the natural choice in maggies because with no particles theres less chance of something gumming up, or rusting your system. I'd flush it again and bleed with distilled if I were you, but I just run maggie blood because I think it feels just fine ;).

Bill

13. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

You can also buy it as battery fluid or whatever it's called at gas stations.. The stuff you put in old car batteries. It's just distilled water too.

14. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

Yeah, but don't go finding old batteries and reusing the liquid in them. If you do, you most certainly stuff ur brakes. :bigthumb:

:werd: