vote to bring armourdillo back from the dead poll

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by japslap, Feb 22, 2010.

1. japslap

japslap New Member

Hi there,

I've just joined observed trials forum and thought I'd run a poll past you guys, I'm from Northern Ireland, and I've been doing trials for a while although I'm a single parent so getting practice time is hard sometimes. Which brings me to why I started this thread, I need to find out if you fellas have ever heard of or used a down tube protector which was avaible in the uk a few years ago called an armourdillo, It was a thick material which attached to the down tube to protect it from rials and bars from damaging or denting your frame when practising when wrong, it had plastic rods (they had a fancy poly carbon name) down it that where designed to break and spread the load on impact.

So I'm basically testing the water to find out the demand would be if these where produced again, they would retail for £15 (GBP) plus shipping.

Thanks for taking the time to read the thread I'd appericate your votes on if you'd use one, and I'd also appericate you comments on if you've used one in the past and any suggestions to improve the product. The maker of the product needs this market reseach to see if there is demand to start production again. so if you would order one use the vote button on the thread

cheers guys would be interesting to read what you think, I will try to upload a piture of one soon if needed to help explain

Mark (japslap)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 22, 2010
  2. japslap

japslap New Member

please find the picture above of the armourdillo, just to let you know it would be avaible in different colours and with or without the logo and fits just about any down tube (I can't think of any that it wouldn't).

If you vote no in the poll I'd love to find out why so I can pass word on to the creator to make improvements. The rods on the inside are fully replaceable when damaged (they have to break on large impacts to spead the load and hopefully stop your down tube from denting)

3. muddyfox

muddyfox New Member

how much do they weigh?? :momaru:

4. japslap

japslap New Member

Not sure on the weight at the moment, but leave it with me and I'll find out in the next 24 hours.

5. ateam

ateam Old Man, Poser, Newbie, "Huba Huba"

How much is tht in US or Canadian dollars, heck yea as a newbie, I may drop my bike once or twice in a minute. If they are light and not too expensive to ship to the US, book it.

6. TRD

TRD New Member

$23.00
    http://www.xe.com/ucc/

7. japslap

japslap New Member

I'll confirm everything in the next 24 hours it's 01.25am in the morning here in Ireland so its difficult getting in touch with the maker, I can only say that they're not heavy at all and as far as I know they will come in Black, possibley red, blue and green. Wish I could tell you more but I will get back asap, I'll even get some rough shipping quotes if I can

8. Boots

Boots Scorekeeper.

For my new Slate II I was just going to put weather stripping on the tube for cushion and a piece of black PVC over it- zip-tie it in place. But this is a decent idea. Ask TTown how useful a downtube protector is, especially when you've got it sitting at home instead of attached to the frame :hahano:

I think my method will weigh less and be cheaper, but this is at least promising :dunno: $23 is still pretty reasonable

9. silus

silus Member

I want one. Very interested.

10. filotr14lsdude

filotr14lsdude bike part distroyer

would this fit frames with triangular down tubes like the yaabaa stinger?

11. japslap

japslap New Member

It should do, depending on the size of the tube, It fitted my Pashley and it had a triangular down tube, I'll find out the width of it and all you'll need to do is measure around your tube with a piece of string and then measure the length of string. You can sort of see in the picture that the fuffy part of the velcro is roughly twice the length of the opposite velco side (you can just about see the seam of where the other part is sown in) this gives a certain amount of adjustment and sorts any tapers in down tubes effectively and its also got abit of flex/spring in it.

The inside is coated with a rubber like layer which will prevent it from sliding up the down tube. Also another point is that the bottom of the rods of the armourdillo as you can see in the picture come down more than the brace (on the left hand side) that goes around the tube meaning in can cover the bottom bracket weld a bit easier.

I've passed on the other questions and hope to get a reply soon and I'll post as soon as I do.

12. Ramrod

Ramrod My body is ready.

I would get one, i'm keeping my eyes on this thread :squint:

13. japslap

japslap New Member

cool man, but click yes on the poll as the more demand the more chance of them being produced again

nice one, but did you not click no in poll? As above, the more votes for yes mean more chance of showing the guy the demand is there to produce them again.

14. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

So it is designed to break in order to absorb the impact? In that case I would never buy one. You can buy a small sheet of hard nylon plastic stuff, heat it up, mould it to the tube, stick it on with double sided foam tape and you will have better protection for an unlimited amount of hits, and it won't look like your bike is wearing kneepads. Perhaps you should market a kit with the required productsand instructions, it'll be cheaper and better.

15. japslap

japslap New Member

Well the rods (which are about 3-4mm thick) are made from a composite poly-carbon plastic material (I'll find out excactly when I get a chance) much like an e13 bash guard sort of material, they will break if something sharp hits them (like the edge of a wall).

Thanks for the feed back though, it's much appericated, like I said the maker may modify it, ideas have already been passed back to him which include a chain stay version for people learning side hops etc.,transparent ones and lighter ones.

It has been said that alot of people do have a problem with aesthetics of they're frames and don't even use chain slap protectors anymore because of this but many people simply use them to learn a new skill until they have it mastered or in comps and take them off for when doing street or show boating.

Thanks again for your feed back

16. bundee80

bundee80 Member

It wouldn't fit a 2007 GU Typhoon, would it?

17. japslap

japslap New Member

Not sure man, there a guy up the street from me uses one on a GU, not sure which model, I'm pretty sure it's the one where the top tube and the down tube are joined by welded sections, think he made a small modification to it make it fit because of this. The maker is trying to get hold of a sample to send to me for pictures/weight and measurements so hopefully all will become clear then.

Sorry to the thread for the delay in measurements and weight hopefully I'll have the info soon

18. Ramrod

Ramrod My body is ready.

I enjoy clicking no in polls. I don't know why

19. whaden913

whaden913 Member

Good idea but personally, PVC and velcro is cheaper and looks better on my bike.

20. trialsn

trialsn New Member