Vids of good short wb riders to learn from?

Discussion in 'Beginner's Area' started by Stock, Oct 23, 2004.

1. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

I ride alone and have no one to teach me, so everything I want to know I have to learn by watching videos and reading tutorials. The problem with the majority of videos, however, is that the best riders are all riding on long wheelbase bikes. I don't have one, and I don't plan on getting one.

Are the techniques similar enough so I can copy what the better riders do, for example, Vincent, and learn from that? Are there any videos out of pros who ride a shorter wheelbase bike but still use trials techniques? I have tons of videos of people on short wheelbase bikes doing street style stuff, but nothing that could really be called trials.

2. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

I would say that you can take the long wheelbase techniques you see and apply them to your short-wheelbase riding just find. If you want videos of short wheelbase riding though, I would recommend you pick up some older retail tapes. Any older monty vid (Ot Pi's Dream comes to mind), Evolve, Revolution, Leaps and Bounds, Island Style, Dirty Tricks and Cunning Stungs (consists of REALLY beginner moves), bi-king (basically Dirty tricks and cunning stunts II), or Match Videozine I (1 ONLY, the rest are worthless), etc.

A lot of the older internet videos are mostly short-wheelbase vids, http://www.yellowstation.jp almost always has older vids featuring monty riders and such. I don't have my old stuff anymore due to two hard drive losses, or I could be more specific about filenames.

Bill

3. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

I really think you can apply almost any technique to any bike. I know a guy that can tap 3.5 - 4ft walls on a zebdi. He is also one of the smoothest, most "euro" style riders Ive seen. Just practice the moves you want to learn and they'll come to you.

I dont even think there is a whole lot of difference between how Vincent does a sidehop in comparison to the BIU short WB riders. Try the different techniques and see how it feels, if it feels better one way, then thats generally the way to go.

4. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Thanks for the responses. The more I think about it the less a few inches of length seems to matter. Copying vincent hermance, for example, should get me close enough that I can adapt it to shorter wheelbase.

I can't read japanese, does anyone know of a translation tool that would work well enough for me to be able to navigate yellowstation.jp without difficulty?

5. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

http://babelfish.altavista.com/ is not bad, but it just screwed up when I tried to translate the page. I'm not sure if thats only a temporary thing or not, so give it a try.

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I don't think it really matters about applying the moves to a short WB....i.e. copying the moves you see on vids. The long WB just makes things easier, you gotta remember before the whole longbike fad, people were doing the same moves on short WB bikes, it just is alot easier on a LB.....