Video compression

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by maciekzw, Apr 5, 2004.

1. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Hey guys. This question is for you pros out there... I got an Elph S230 digital camera which does video and sound. At 320x240 resolution, a 10 second video is about 3 megs. It's also in AVI format. The only format there is on the camera. What program (if any) can I use to convert the file to another format so it's smaller. Or what program can I use to compress the AVI format. Is there such thing out there? And I'm just talking regular video with no added music to it or anything. I mean 3 megs is quite a lot for a 10 second video.

Help please. Thanks in advance :bigthumb:

2. PaulG

PaulG Releasing the Kitties

hey i use a program called virtual dub to make Div X clips you download the div x codec and virtual dub and re encode your video down as small as you want the smaller it is of course the less the quality. there are lots of tutorials on how to use virtual dub out there to be googled too good luck

3. sebLG

sebLG New Member

where do you get this virtual dub? does it compress well, as in good quality and smaller file? is virtual dub just the compression program that comes when you download divx codec? i use macintosh by the way(aka some things are not compatable).

4. PaulG

PaulG Releasing the Kitties

hmm i dunno if it will like mac but i just googled for virtual dub and found some random link it is basically a dubber that you load codecs into like div x

5. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Cool, thanks for the hint. I will do the same and check out the program. Hopefully it will help me out. My videos are way to big and they're really short.

6. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Just wanted to say thanks for that program! I just downloaded it and it shrank my 5 meg video into just under 1 meg!!! THANK YOU!!! :bigthumb:

7. bonzai

bonzai The brown guy

Has anyone had any problems playing the videos after they have been compressed?

I tried playing the compressed files on Windows Media Player and Quicktime Player and neither could play them. They both generated a message stating that the program need the right compressor.

Little help? :?

8. DMArnt

DMArnt Guest

Try downloading divx codec.

9. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

Look up Video converters in Google. There are several out there. If you get them in AVI, you can convert them.

AVI seems to be great quality. You can take it to anything. WMV is a great format to play with, but there aren't a lot of editors out there. You'll need Harddrive space... and lots of it.