Video Camera recomendations?

Discussion in 'Your Bike Trials Media' started by aka Mr Floyd, Nov 13, 2004.

1. aka Mr Floyd

aka Mr Floyd New Member

I did a search of old threads, but only came up with a couple of model names...

Can anyone post up some recomendations of good video cameras to look at for me. I'm interested in getting a video camera, one that could be used to shoot some bike vids and hopefully edited on my computer.

Any info is useful as I'm just starting my search. Thanks in advance,

Todd

2. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

If you used the search you should have more info then you need...

3. BrettM

BrettM New Member

The two that I remember both went with the Panasonic GS120 I believe. By far the best bang for the buck out there. It is fairly cheap, yet captures with 3 ccd's. Basically you have to worry a lot less where the sun is and what the clouds are up to and what not. Very good shooting in less perfect conditions. If you wanna spend a little more bump it up to the GS200.

4. aka Mr Floyd

aka Mr Floyd New Member

BrettM: Thanks for the help, I'll check those out. Do you have on of the models?

Ebon Dragon: Thanks for nothing except a useless post. If there's so much info I missed why don't you post a link or something. I tried multiple searches with every variation of Camera, Video Camera, which camera to buy, etc. in both the general and video forum and came up with one model name.

5. VillarTrials

VillarTrials New Member

just aboot how much money do you wanna spend? there are a million types of cameras out there. first off, the most important thing you gotta look for, is that the camera is digital, with a digital (firewire\1394) connection. without that, you cannot hook it up to your computer, unless you have an analog video input card on your computer (or unless you digitize the video some other way). many cameras, such as a lot of the lower-end Canon cameras have a VIC conenction, which is an analog to digital conversion technology which i would stay away from, because even though they have a firewire connection the video is not really shot digital. another thing you most likely want is a camera that records to a mini-dv tape, mini dv is the best format in digital cameras, for a good price. other formats such as dvcam will be better, but the price of the cameras is probably not in your price range. if your price range is 500 or less, i would recommend the PV-GS50 which is produced by panasonic. i would, however, like BrettM said, try to gather up an extra 199 and get the GS120, which has 3 ccd's (a ccd or a charged coupled device, is a chip in the camera that records the light coming in from the lens, and splits it into millions or thousands of data points (pixels) which make up the whole image.) so a 3ccd camera will split the light into three (RGB) and because of this, the image will be much cleaner and more clear. anywho, if your price range is even higher, like up to 1000, i would go for the gs200 (panasonic). however, there are a million more choices, and if you wanna PM me with how much youre willing to spend, i can givie you a better idea. sorry for my rambling, but i really get involved when it comes to video\film stuff... best of luck with your searching

Jerry Villar

6. BrettM

BrettM New Member

I use the GS120. I haven't used it for a video yet so I can't show the quality. I bought a camera buyers guide that breaks every model under 5 grand down and that camera stands out the most out of everything. Everything else in a similar price range compares fairly well. Nothing touches the GS120 in that price range.

A price range like VillarTrials said would help, but if you want to spend much more money on a camera than this, I assumed you would probably know pretty much exactly what you wanted.

7. Ebon Dragon

Ebon Dragon New Member

8. Elan

Elan steve french

9. BrettM

BrettM New Member

The majority of people will never ever get near anything that makes that camera any better tho. Compare picture quality of the GS120 and a cannon that is even almost twice the price and the GS120 will still kill it hands down. I guess it doesn't have as many crazy effects tho...Although your editing program will.

10. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

I bought the gs120. I think it's a very good bet.

It took me forever to think about which one to get, but in the end, the gs120 seemed to make the most sense, and the bang for the buck camera.

Ive been starting to make a vid, and the quality is very awesome btw.

Now i just need to figure out how to compress a video without using much quality...

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Isn't there a faq that tells how to compress it without it losing much quality? LOL, I'll be reading that shortly...

12. aka Mr Floyd

aka Mr Floyd New Member

Thanks for the posts, gives me some good places to start looking.

Sorry I didn't post back earlier, but I became a Dad this last week so no time for my bike, much less the internet.

I'd like to stay away from spending $1000, because realistically I know I won't use it that much to make it worthwhile... Probably looking in the 500 to 600 range.

Thanks for the help, I may send some PM's later as I narrow my search...

Todd

13. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Congrats!