V or Disc up front?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by B1105, May 2, 2004.

1. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hey there,
    I'm in the market now for a new front wheel. and currently debating between a disc brake or v brake. I'm currently using v brake (Avid SD Ti) which has worked well with my 19mm wide rim. I am however looking for a wider rim, something around 30-32mm in width and relatively light.

For hubs, as long as the wheel is dished properly, can I run a disc hub but use v brakes?(for the time being?)

If so, my disc hub options were the king of course and hope and maybe like an XT or something(prob not :D ).

For rims, I was considering the Tioga or something, but since my shop's distributor doesnt sell them, I'm not paying 80 bucks for a rim. My other option was the TryAll rim with 28 holes and pre drilled/ground for 40 bucks? I've heard the metal on the try alls are weaker than normal so they might not last as long? Anyone?
    At this point I'm really looking to lighten my bike a bit. I plan to use the DT Competition 14/15 g spokes as they worked awesome for building my rear wheel.

So essentially the point of this thread is,
    hsa anyone found a disc to be an enormous advantage over the v? I have discs on my rocky mountain, and their strong as shit, but in trials, it doenst seem that necessary. If i were to go to disc, it would be the Avid mech no question but then I would have to also change my fork since its a stupid V only Kona P2.

If TRA can run a V, so can I right? Oh i forgot, hes a pro.... :eek:

THanks,
    any input would be awesome.

Byron

2. B1105

B1105 New Member

Forgot to ad,
    I'm kinda concerned about whether my front will go out of tru easily, thus an advantage of discs. Assuming I'm semi smooth and the wheel is tensioned properly, it shouldnt be a huge problem right?

3. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

Vees will do just fine. I have vees and I really like them. I used to have disc. But I changed to vees and I have no regrets. They are not as powerfull as my discs. But they are plenty strong enough and I like them better when doing rolling endos and "hoo haas"(Should I really call them that? I read somewhere it's what they are called but still...).

And I have never had any problems with my front wheel going out of true. I have a mavic d521 rim.

Only times I'd like a disc brake is when it rains alot. But I'd still go with vee brakes. Less to go wrong too.

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Thnks for the replay. Anyone know anything about the Try All Front rim?

5. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

disk, disk, disk. Switching from v-brake to disk is one thing that I can honestly say improved my riding instantly.

BTW go with avid mechanical with the 7 inch rotor and XTR lever.....zing,zing

6. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

I have an avid front disc right now and I am selling it and going to a V because it sure is powerful, but you really dont need that power.

It's just another thing to mess with (harder than V's) and it can get in the way but Vs dont.

Don't get a Tioga rim.... they aren't strong. I'd go with a Mavic D521 if I were you. I've had a few and love em all (everything from DH to FR to trials)

7. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

Avid disc brake is far easier than maintaining a set of Vs. You just turn the knobs to the point where you like it and that's it. Maybe once in a while its a good idea to repostition the calipper.

In the wet if you don't have a ground rim the Vs will feel like poo poo while the disc will not be really affected. The only downside is the possibility of hitting the rotor and the additional weight.

8. B1105

B1105 New Member

hmmmm, I wouldnt mind the avid, the only thing really holding me back is the weight.

Crashncar, how much are you selling your brake for?

9. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

weight? hahaha. Don't let a few grams get in the way of a far superior option. My bike weighs around 27 lbs and it still does everything I want it to.

10. Elan

Elan steve french

ahaha...my magura marta weighs less than a v brake....remind me to never take advice from crashnscar

11. KeepRollin

KeepRollin New Member

I'd go with disc's too. Grinding rims is such a pain in the ass and you might as well keep it down to a minimum. The modulation with a disc can't be beat either. I'm in the process of getting one for my trials bike, but my mountain bike has them on and I love the feel (hope mini's if you're curious). Don't screw around and get a disc!

12. Cole

Cole New Member

To upgrade to the 7" rotor from the 6" do you just need a new rotor and a new adaptor for the fork? I'm seriously thinking about it.

13. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

yeah new rotor and an adaptor.

14. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Constant,predictable,stopping power...what more could you ask for.
    I probably gained a pound on my front end and I'm a little bitch about weight.Width is more beneficial than strength. You aren't going to have much worries about trueness.It doesn't really matter with a disc anyhoo.
    Less tire roll means lower rideable pressure

I could go on all day.Gaps to nose improved overnight too!

15. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

I havent improved because of my disc up front. But it feels much smoother than V's/Maggies, and it definitely has the stopping power of the latter, if not more. The modulation is nice as well. The Avids are pretty easy to setup and operate just fine, even when someone like me who's never even touched a disc brake setup.

The only downside is I bent my rotor within 1 week of riding and it still hasnt straightenend itself out. I didnt even hit the rotor, I dont know how it happened. I almost want to tell you to make sure you get a good hub, because it might be my hub which is a bit out of whack, who knows. Im going to try and straighten the disc this weekend. But ever since it became bent Im even more aware of it's presence and feel apprehensive to do certain moves that might result in bashing it. Im just too poor right now to replace it if I have to. Well, enough blah blah, you just wanted to know what to choose. Go with the disc if you can afford it. Im running Avid mech, XTR lever, flak jacket cables.

16. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

The avid rotors are garbage, they warp super easily, and that could be your problem Dustin.

17. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Why do that to me, didnt you just see me type I cant afford another rotor? :rolleyes:

Ill get a gothic like Kevin's then. After CO trip I guess. Thanks.

18. JK

JK New Member

My 160mm Avid mechanical is pure heaven. It doesn't slip, ever. Much better than any other brake I have tried. I'm going to buy an extra one, because I don't think I could ever go back to my old Louise.

19. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

I was talking about my Avid disc compared to my Avid V... .4 pound difference

20. Elan

Elan steve french

how can you not need the power? do you ride urban only?

mech Vs IMO are easier than v's to set up, you loosen, pull, set...three simple steps... with v, there is the thing with the wheel....

tioga rim > mavic d521

1: wider
    2: wider
    3: not gay :rofl: