V-brakes vs. hydraulic disc brakes

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by maciekzw, Mar 7, 2004.

1. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Hey guys,

I've been doing tirals (or trying to get better at) for few years with clipless pedals... I just recently switched to flats (probably 5 months ago). I can do minor stuff. I'm working on my pedal hop right now. I can do small ones, maybe 3 in a row... That's about it.

I've been watching a lot of videos on this website and I noticed a lot of people are riding with disc brakes. I've tried riding bikes wit disc brakes and hydraulic disc brakes and I found both types of brakes not nearly as good or powerfull as my old v-brakes. Is it just me or do those brakes need to be broken into? I find that my old XT brakes (on my old bike) were a lot better.

I don't have money to upgrade to disc brakes since my frame does not have the proper set up. I'd have to buy new frame, new disc brakes, new rims... Would I be better off upgrading to the best v-brakes there are?

Any opinion would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks! :bigthumb:

2. Little Android Man

Little Android Man Free Cup!

disc brakes on the rear of a trials frame isnt the best idea, as the tabs snap. you could just get hydraulic rim brakes or some good v brakes with xtr levers/cables and such.

3. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

You might want to just get v brakes. as little android man said your frame will have chances of breaking if you run a rear disc. For the front, discs are great if yo ucan get one, but for the rear no no to the disc idea. vee's or magura's will be good, but unless you like getting frustrated, go with v brakes.

4. B1105

B1105 New Member

Gof or V's, if you set them up properly and use some tar/grind, they can be just as powerful as Maggies. I'm running AVID SD Tis and their awesome.

5. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Hmm... I never even thought of the disc brake in the back breaking. It makes sense now that I've read your responses. I used to have XT brakes on my old bike. I haven't really kept up up to date with components in a while. Is XT still available? Do you think I should go with XT or should I just go all out and get XTR everything for the back?

6. bigd

bigd Guest

neither. parallel link brakes will wear out and develop slop, and your pads won't hit the rim straight. they'll also chatter a lot.

go for whatever disc you want up front, that doesn't matter as long as its powerful. for the rear V brake, you should go for a shimano DX caliper, or an avid caliper. (preferably 7 or higher). i have the ultimate and it literally is THE SHIT as far as v-brakes go, but its not cheap. or you could go with a magura hs-33, they're solid and are easier to fit around wide rims. tried and true they're popular for a reson, they're powerful and the pads always hit the rim dead square. if you're running a grind go for kool stop salmon pads or plazmatic pads or spanish fly pads. if you're running maggies go for plazmatic pads or spanish fly pads.

www.trialsin.com
    www.webcyclery.com
    www.thetrialsinshop.com

7. Elan

Elan steve french

yess....hopefully the magura will be half as good.

8. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

Sweet. Thanks for all of your opinions. I will definately look into those and basically see what I can and cannot afford.

Thanks for all your input. :bigthumb:

9. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

v-brakes :)

and its easy as anything to make an adapter if you want v-brakes on a frame with 4 bolt mounts

10. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Ya Agrade how did you make that adapter for your new Pure. It hardley looks like there even is one.

Ya I just bought Avid SD-7 and they work great. Especially for $50 canadian.

Go V's

11. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

[​IMG]

none of this fancy crap, thats pretty much all you need. the v-brake/magura thread stud shouldnt be too hard to make with a lathe, tap/die and a file. i didnt make them but i know i could, and i have crappy manual skills.

the next generation of these adapters will make use of the top magura holes to stabilise the position of the sheet metal, it rotates around after a little while and you lose spring power. that only takes 2 seconds with tin snips and a drill though.

12. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

all you people with v-brakes, do you use just 1 finger for rear blocking?
    i have Avid SD7 vees too but i always use 2 fingers for the rear

13. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Dude stop your bad habit today.

Always use 1 finger for braking. Regardless if it is front or back.

I'm sure most people in here use 0ne finger too.

You just need that extra finger on the bars for power and stability in most moves.

set up your lever a little bit closer into the bar so that your one finger just reaches it.
    this alows you to get more leverage and not rip up your iner knuckle.
    Cheers

14. maciekzw

maciekzw Guest

BINGO!

That's exactly why I wanna upgrade my rear brakes cuz I find when I use one finger when pedal hoping, the brakes are just starting to let go and I screw up. I just don't have enough braking power with 1 finger on the brakes. Keep in mind I'm a bit on the heavier side too (225lbs.) :ugh:

15. ascentrek

ascentrek Original power yuppie

I lost my fingers in WW1. What should I do now? :rofl:

16. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

You were alive during WW1.????

Cool. What was it like?????? :bigthumb:

I recomend you try a healthy game like "Simon says" :bigthumb:

17. Cryo-Cube

Cryo-Cube -----------

holy shiat, fuck 1 finger braking :ugh: . I tried it today and almost slipped 2 times while pedal kicking on flat ground....flat ground man! :eek:wned: .
    No way im gonna risk this on high drops, gaps or whatever.
    Fuck that, i´ll stick with save 2 finger action.

18. Coramoor

Coramoor New Member

You won't be saying that anymore when your hand slips of the bars when doing a big gap. Seriously. 1 finger braking is the only way to go. If you're brakes slip on flat ground you need better brakes. Buy a good set of vees or maguras. And grind your rim.

19. bigd

bigd Guest

you ladies need to beed up. two finger braking is not a good idea.

WORK IT.

edit- also get a proper brake setup. just running avid brakes doesn't mean poop unless its set up right. if you don't like to grind, get a good set of pads, good brakes, and keep your rims clean. if you have POWERFUL brakes you don't need to grab the crap out of it, it'll lock up hard with less effort. or grind. but get a good set of pads and make them his SQUARE onto the rim.

20. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

:werd: