V-Brake Mounts for non V-Brake bike - Exists?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oxygen_77, Apr 13, 2004.

1. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Hey, I ride a bike with no rim brake mounts; it only has disc mounts. Is there an adaptor that anyone knows of that allows you to run rim brakes on something like that? I could design one, but I don't have the materials and ability to create it. All you would need is a strong brake booster with the V-Brake bosses on it and then some type of clamp on each side to attach that to the seatstays. It would probably look like the V-Brake mount on a Le Toy

If you know of something like this please let me know where I can buy it. Thanks!

2. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

Ill look online to see if I can find them, but a guy showed up for an urban ride in downtown Dallas once with these clamps that went on his disc only bike so he could run V's, he didnt even run a booster he said they were so solid, wasnt the Le Toy either.

3. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

I figured they had to exist... such a simple design. Thanks!

4. Paul

Paul Guest

Maybe this will help ...

[​IMG]

I think something like this should work,a clamp with v-brake bosses on ...

5. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

Problem with that is it would rotate laterally as the brakes pushed against the rim. That's why I thought it would need a brake booster type thing to keep the mounts from sliding outwards.

6. Paul

Paul Guest

If the seatstays are oval or square sectioned I don`t think it would rotate.... it`s better to add a booster too,just to be safe :p Why not make a 4-bolt mount clamp ? Do you run v-brakes ? :D

7. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

I don't run any rim brakes at the moment because my bikes don't have rim brake mounts; only disc. Why a 4-bolt; for Hydro rim-brakes? I was just searching for a cheap alternative to stronger disc brakes or a new frame so I thought if addon V-brake mounts existed I could get one and save some moola' :bigthumb:

8. Paul

Paul Guest

Ah ..spaeaking of adapters and stuff.. is it possible to make an adaptor that would enable you to run a 30mm smaller disc ? I`m talking about a Magura Marta (rear caliper on the front,that would be 180mm rotor..) and Koxx Forxx (they require a +30mm rotor :S ) . Any advice ?

9. oxygen_77

oxygen_77 Guest

You should be able to go to a metal shop and have them cut something out of a piece of aluminum sheet metal. You would probably have to supply them with the measurements though.