USA --> Canada Duties

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by [email protected], Nov 15, 2004.

1. my.ark.4@gmail.com

[email protected] New Member

While im trying to order a bike from the US (i live in toronto). So far, regarding duties, this is all ive been able to get

" There are no duties on the USA side. I am not sure what your duties are
    there."

So does anyone know about Canadian duties, or even US ones (i could try for a Canadian counterpart).

Thanks

Noah

2. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

There are duties for sure when sending from US to Canada. The simplest way to avoid them is to declare the value of the frame for as little as possible. But then if it does get damage you can't claim much insurance on it.

3. my.ark.4@gmail.com

its a full bike, and its only $300. theres not much wiggle room for declaring it, i mean isint that fraud?

4. Boo_Berry

Boo_Berry Guest

what bike are you getting from the states that u can't get from canada?? www.thetrialsinshop.com orders koxx, px, echo, and zoo, and desalvo now i think... then there's a shop in quebec (www.hbtrials.com) that sells BT, echo, koxx, px, zoo... so what exactly are u worried about tarrifs and such for?

5. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

If it is 300 only then, the duty should not be big. And yes, it is a fraud to cheat to the Canadian government of the money they rightfully deserve for having a product cross their borders.

6. my.ark.4@gmail.com

to romanC, just making sure, but i dont think the shop will mislable it. im getting an xalp for sale from www.trialsin.com because i really dont want to wait till march for the bike show here. i might also get a mod from www.veritasbikes.com . i dont know why i didnt check customs and revenue before now, i feel like an idiot.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  7. Genital Apparatus

Genital Apparatus I like dirt.

Please don't get the Veritas.

8. kwilson

kwilson New Member

See if you can make arrangements to pick it up at Tim's place, then we go for a ride, and when you cross back over the border, just tell them you were down for the day for a ride with a friend. I used to take bikes across the border all the time like that when I worked for a shop here in Buffalo. Send me a note and we'll hook up, do a ride here in Buffalo.

Kevin

9. my.ark.4@gmail.com

is it actually in buffalo, the adress didnt register with me, youve just made my day, tahnks loads.

im not sure if youd want to ride with me though, i cant even really backhop.

10. Ken

Ken New Member

duties

Duty on a complete bike is 13%, parts are duty free, but not a complete bike. You"ll also pay gst, and if it's coming UPS you will pay approx $40-$50 for them to do the brokerage for you. If you do it yourself, as in pick it up and declare it (legally) you'd save the $40 brokerage fee.

11. my.ark.4@gmail.com

thats what i call customer satisfaction, not only answered my email question, but found my post on a borad and answered it there!

thanks

EDIT: il probably try for pick up, take the wheels off and call it an asortment of bike parts, some of which hapen to be atached (you cant really call it a bike if it dosent have wheels)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2004
  12. Hugo

Hugo New Member

Bike in parts or fully installed is still a bike for the Canada customs, so you may end up paying the whole duties plus GST and any provincial tax, but you can try, they don't really know bikes, they are paper work/office people so who know!

Hugo
    hbtrials.com

13. Tanner

Tanner New Member

Customer satisfaction for what?! Ken is not selling you the bike, how are you satisfied? Was that Steven Maeder, who sells those godforsaken pile of shit veritas', telling you about the customs charges? I say support Ken and Hugo, and buy your bike from www.thetrialsinshop.com or www.hbtrials.com. No duties, no import bullshit, just straight up Canadian trials store goodness.

14. my.ark.4@gmail.com

Ken
    The Trialsin' Shop

hes not selling me the bike? funny how he seems to be afiliated

find me a bike for around $400 CAD from any canadian shop and il buy, other wise i take my buisness elsewhere where i can get a begginer bike.

Edit: oops, my bad forgot the whole 'the' there. my point about price still stands

15. Tanner

Tanner New Member

I hate myself and want to die.

16. my.ark.4@gmail.com

godforsaken pile of shit veritas

I hate myself and want to die.

ok, now contrary to popular belief, i cannot read minds

care to explain why it is a forsaken pile of shit

and why do you want to die (i this point im starting not to care frankly)

17. ridesoul

ridesoul Guest

only 13%? i heard 37% from chad at soul cycles when enquiring about getting my bike accross the border. maybe thats just for frames only? meh. 13% sounds better to me anyway!

-RS

18. Ken

Ken New Member

duty

%13 for complete bikes.

Customs specifies for parts made in the US they're duty free, but as you look through the tariff codes it also refers to parts made everywhere else too... So there's no duty on frames, forks, tires, etc, etc...from anywhere. If you're paying it, you shouldn't be.

19. Tanner

Tanner New Member

I think the veritas is on the same level as any other wal*mart bike. the chainstays are longer than some cross country frame!

I hate myself because you don't seem to comprehend what EVERY SINGLE PERSON IS TELLING YOU

20. my.ark.4@gmail.com

The mod has a chainstay of 15.5", which isint that long, i also dont see why its so terible to ask for a reason you are bashing a product, if i listend to every unsuported argument against something, i wouldnt own anything because i would think its all crap.

Now if you said something like... i duno

then you would have convinced me to go for the monty. How many reviews have you read before that were a big 2 page spread consisting of "DONT BUY THIS YOU IDIOT, ITS A SHITY PRODUCT"? Thats what i thought.