Upping . . . surging . . . those question

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by trialspads, May 20, 2004.

1. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

Let's say you're riding in a new place & find an object you want to hop on that's roughly 3' high. When should the front wheel be taking off? About 3' in front of the object also? As the height increases how are you guys adjust speed and the take off...I guess that gets into the whole footwork also?

I've been trying to land more precisely on a 2' ledge and various objects but can't seem to perfect it either.

2. crashnscar

crashnscar Guest

The higher you go, the more helpful it is to have a run up.

Also, I'm not sure when your rear would take off if your front takes off say, 3 feet in front of it

3. trialspads

trialspads TrialsPads.com

I don't even know what footwork I'm using. My chocolate foot is the left but upping a 3' object, I usually start with my left foot and lift my bike up as I'm pushing with my right foot & land with my left forward. Is that about right? Or is there a better way. Guess I'm a bit scared of taking off too early...

4. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

take off when you need to. it all depends on speed and your technique. with a slow run up you can start closer. with a long run up and speed you need to start farther back. ideally you shouldn't be using much run up for something about 2 feet high (2 pedal strokes (co style) is all you need...bad foot good foot up).

5. oicdn

oicdn Guest

That's the way I'm trying to learn...as little run up as possible....bad->good-> up.....I can't seem to get any higher than wheel height...time I guess.....

On a surge though....is it your arms that actually surge the bike foreward? Like, you kinda leap foreward, but your arms are what actually moves the bike up and foreward? I've been having quite some time trying to get from an endo on a manhole cover, then surging to get the rear where the front was.....

Anybody?

6. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Don't think of a surge as a forward hop. This is why you are not making it. Technically what you are talking about is a wheelswitch, but I will describe the surge as it is similar (though wheelswitches on high objects are very different)

A surge is essentially a lurch where the front wheel starts touching the ground. In fact, if you preload quickly enough, the front will come off of the ground and it will be a lurch.

The key to getting it right is to preload very very far back, past the rear hub. This will probably cause you to lose your balance, but you will get the balance quickly enough. Then just throw yourself up there like in a lurch and land it as such. For really far surges (for example surging across a small gap) you will probably end up to both though.

7. oicdn

oicdn Guest

Yeah...I'm basically just doing a wedge, but can't go anywhere from there in terms of not doing a pedal kick to move.....just wanna go from static, but it seems like the bike only moves like 6 inches without any pedal stroke, while, when I watch vids, you guys just hop like cats....

8. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Yeah I don't know either then, but I can't think of a situation in which that would be very useful, If you are trying to up something like that then just hop close and angle off.

9. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I'm just trying to learn how to hop places static I guess...like on natty just static hopping around, or surging to rear. or when doing a front wheel gap, after the front hits and rolls a little, to switch to my back wheel....I can't do any of the listed well cause I can't do static hops or surges for shit....

10. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Static hopping around is more a matter of stamina and balance...
    Surging to rear, that's just practice surging to rear. If you mean wheelswitch, practice wheelswitch. Both of them are just max power moves that you have to practice over and over.

Front to back I can't help you I suck at those too :down: Lean forward more I guess, watch kevin's vids.

Try doing surges to rear on flat, up curbs, start farther away from the curb, use higher objects, etc. A surge up a 2+ foot up is possible, try to use those instead of pedalup in some situations etc.

11. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I can't pedal up really for shit, so I end up pedal kicking up everything. Sometimes pedal kick to bash if it's like bar height, I try to avoid that at all costs, trying to stay all rubber.....practice I guess...I suck at moves with all power...I'm a weak noodle who depends on smoothness....

12. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

Just do those pedalkicks, but roll up to the object or hop up to it, and start from both. :bigthumb:

13. epock7

epock7 Guest

I guess this kind of goes along with this topic. How do you get up walls that are tall enough that when you set your front wheel on it, the rear touches the wall or even leaves the ground. Is hitting the bashguard just inevitable? I have no freakin clue.