Up technique- legs or hips?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Stock, Jul 9, 2004.

1. Stock

Stock Tumescent.

This is just a quick question. When going for an up, specifically a lurch up or a pedal up, does the impulsion for the lift come more from thrusting the hips towards the bars or jumping with the legs? I can jump quite high offbike, on to 5.5 foot walls to both feet, but I just can't seem to get that kind of lift on the bike, so what's the proper technique, or is there any carry over between foot trials and trials at all?

2. Elan

Elan steve french

watch a video, i suggest vincent hermance, as his techniques is quite possibly the best out there and easy to watch. big ups require equal input from almost your whole body. emphasis om arms, hips, and quads.

3. oicdn

oicdn Guest

I end up using alot of arms and "jumping".....but yeah...watch some Vincent vids, makes things easier.....he's so clean./...

4. bigd

bigd Guest

a lot of the lift associated to a big up is in the upper body. the lower body and your back extend upward to gain lift, but then your upper body has to transition that momentum to the bike. the bike is picked up vertically with your arms, then pushed forward forcefully. the forward motion lifts the back end as long as your feet are lifting with the bike, only using enough pressure to keep the pedals from escaping.

your height increases when you can do everything more forcefully in a shorter amount of time. always work on making your movements as smooth as possible.

the hip movement you mentioined is more for pedal gaps, not necessarily ups. throwing your hips into the bars launches your body's CoG forward. some riders actually hit the bars with their hips pretty forcefully to kind of slap the bike forward. the same technique can be used for ups, but its all about redirecting that momentum from your legs and back, to your upper body, lift the bars and shove them forward while sucking the rear end up.