Unreasonable amount of turn-around time?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by oicdn, Aug 16, 2004.

1. oicdn

oicdn Guest

My rear hub is loose. Came loose last night while I was riding. You can sit there and jiggle the wheel while it's still bolted to the frame. I didn't do anything after I found it was loose cept jst practice balancing on the rear....hopefully I didn't fuck anything up....

I haven't taken the time to really examine it as to why it's loose, or if I could do it myself. I also don't have the king tools so I thought I'de drop it off to the shop and get the freehub body relubed as well. Figured this was a good excuse to give my pansy ass wrist a break from riding.

$15 unreasonable for that work? The turnaround time is 3 days...while at the same time of it letting my wrist rest, I kinda thought that's quite awhile for a job that sounds pretty simple/quick if you had the tools. The shop is packed full of roadies, so they are kinda stacked back in the shop, whereas the salesman kooks are out front just shootin the shit.

What you think?

2. Elan

Elan steve french

if people are scheduled ahead of you, and 3 days is the best they can do, youre pretty lucky, sometimes it takes over a week. it doesnt really matter how long the job will take ,they have an obligation to people who scheduled before you. $15 to tighten and replace the cassette body? thats amazingly well priced. $15 to tighten it is over priced for the work involved, but hey, they have the $50 tool and you dont.

3. AndyT

AndyT New Member

15 bux isn't really that bad, you have to expect it from shops.... at my shop I would do that in 20 mins, but some shops are run differently- if you aren't friends with any of the mechs you'll end up being without your bike parts because of long silly turnarounds.

4. oicdn

oicdn Guest

The only person that works on my bike (if I can't do it myself, like BB stuff, starnut setting, headset pressing, etc)is a friend there that I've known since HS. He put $15 on the reciept for "tighten and overhaul rear hub". Maybe it'll get rid of that once every other ride skip action. It prolly needs to be serviced anyhow....

I understand the whole people before me thing, but thought maybe it was something they could do on the side, like they do for the roadies electronics...they work on bikes and while waiting on parts or whatever, they do the roadie electronics. Thought maybe this hub servicing was one of those things and I'de get it back next day as it didn't seem like anything majorly time consuming. But I guess it is better to have it not as a "backburner" project....

5. B1105

B1105 New Member

$15 seems reasonable, how big is the jiggle?

6. oicdn

oicdn Guest

pretty big, when you move it, you can tell there's a gap about the width of a sheet or two of paper between the cone and the body. Can't tell on the cassette side....didn't really look at it too much other than, "dis ting is moobin!"

7. Nikolai

Nikolai Member

If you walk in there with a premium twack, they'll get it done while you go browse the store for 20 minutes and touch all the sports bras.

8. B1105

B1105 New Member

I think you can service that yourself with just allen wrenches, but who knoes. I had some play in my cones also, and i think they have a video online on how to do it.

9. thetart20

thetart20 TartyBikes

The wobble is a 2 second job. The freehub body re-lube is a 2 minute job. Neither require special tools :(

10. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

find tarts vid and remove the bit where the tool is required.

11. DaleM

DaleM Guest

In my shop an overhaul/rebuild is $25 plus parts. We will not move you ahead in the rotation unless you happen to be a VERY good customer or a personal friend of the person who is actually doing the work and they themselves OK'd it.

Quit griping and wait.

12. Peace

Peace pedocrab

you really didnt need to pay $15 if you just wanted the wobble fixed, you just get 2 allen keys, lossen the axle the wind the cone in, (i just use my hand, dont need to get it really tight) then tighten the axle back up, can do it while your riding. Dont be afraid of your hub, its pretty hard to actually fuck it up... Once i completely took my king apart cos it ws skipping and then put it back together and i worked really good!!! then i tore spokes out of the shell and tried to reaplace it with my mates spare....didnt work.. and i dont know why :( so i sent it to king from sydney and got it back within 7 working days with a new cassette body and inner driven rings without asking! they only charged me for shipping back.
    didnt really need to tell you all that, but i always try fixing things myself first, then i take it to my mate who is the best mechanic i know.
    Peace

13. xxxfr

xxxfr RCP FABRICATION

i try to be good to the guys that actually ride who come into my shop, if u walked in w/ i king hub and needed it tightened id be the other way around....15 min and $3

14. oicdn

oicdn Guest

^^You'de think....but almost all the people that get thier bikes serviced there are douchey roadies who spend more money on thier bikes than I did on my car. And they are rich whore who don't even know how V brakes work. So the whole King thing didn't really have as much as an impact as you'de think, hahah.