Ultegra Cassettes

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by BrettM, Mar 30, 2004.

1. BrettM

BrettM New Member

My other option to my problem in my other thread is to run this setup.

http://www.bikeroom.com/resizewindow.asp?imgurl=LARGE/Q/FW4711.JPG

Has anyone used ultegra much? Is it crap for trials? I ask for 6 to 8 months tops out of it. I've heard some bad things and some good things. If anyone broke them did they look like this and where did they break and how long.

Any info will help me out tons.

2. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

ive been using an ultegra cassette for over a year and a half with the same chain and it never skips :eek:

3. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

ive broken dura ace cassettes (pinned like the ultegra) by ripping the cog off the pins. got about 3 months out of it

4. Elan

Elan steve french

i have seen too many of those carriers break..i run 17 in rear anyways so they dont come on carriers...just dont use it though.

5. RomanC

RomanC Well-Known Member

I broke the dura ace carrier at the pins. But it had only two gears so the whole thing was skinner compared to the 3 cog carrier. As far as the 3cog carriers go I had pretty good luck with them as I ran my previous cassette for like a year before switching. I am running an ultegra right now it is doing fine. (two weeks on it so far)

6. trialsbug

trialsbug New Member

I broke two Ultegra cassettes within a couple weeks. In both cases the ears ripped off of the carrier, but all of the pins were still attached to the ears.

Maybe now that I am smoother I would not have the sime problem, but I am light (145 lb), weak, and almost never brake anything so I doubt it was my unsmoothness that caused the failures.

7. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

yeah smoothness and breaking cassets have a relationship

8. warpig

warpig Guest

The 12-21 Ultegra is the only one with a 19T cog on a 3 cog carrier that I now of (21-19-18). I've shredded the 19 off of 2 of them so far in the last year but I'll keep using them. I've gotten a two cog carrier to dig into a steel King freehub before so I'm sold on what I've got now. Trialsbug and myself both have pictures floatin' around somewhere of the schrapnel we created. Though if the rules of competition would change and allow single speeds I'd do the King Cog in a heartbeat knowing what to expect from my pre-dedicated single speed XC days.......................

9. RobbieP

RobbieP OTN FOR A THOUSAND MORE YEARS I SAY

how do you people break cassettes? they just sit there... ive never had a cassette problem, ever.

10. stocktrials

stocktrials Mitch.

Brett

I've been running an ultegra 12-21 for about 9 months with no problems.

hmm.. I'm not sure on this one yet

11. bigd

bigd Guest

i was using a hybrid 12-23 ultegra/da cassete for well over a year. the 16/17t cogs were pinned to an aluminum carrier (from da, the ultegra is two normal steel cogs pinned to each other. i used the 17 all hte time and it held up fine. it never winced once even during pretty powerful stuff.. ive always tried to ride as smooth as possible, so maybe thats why i never break stuff.

12. tomacropod

tomacropod Rum Pig

I used an ultegra with the 18/19/21t carrier, worked really well for a while. Then it broke. The tabs on the cog which have the pins pushed through them crack, and after three of the 6 have cracked, all the rest go at once, which has a similar effect as breaking a chain.

- Joel

13. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Im going on two months on my ultegra still good..