uci...?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by RyanMcVicker, May 3, 2004.

1. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

Ive searched the forums, ive been to the uci website. But I can't find an answer to my question..

What is the difference of uci compared to others(bui, nats, etc..)??

It seems like everyone is always talking about it.
    I always hear people saying longer bikes for uci, but why?? What exactly is UCI??

Maybe give a brief discription of every one (uci,bui,nats, etc...) to compare them??

2. average mike

average mike Guest

UCI = pedals/cranks and bashguards are not allowed to touch on objects, or you get a point

BIU = you can use bash/pedals

nats= biu rules, but they dont enforce all of the really strict rules.

3. alexm

alexm Member

BIU = sebLG

4. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

UCI= BIG world cycling federation, ranking #1 means you are the best in the world and thats not really debatable.

BIU=Largest trials specific governing body.You are spanish or japaneese
    and probably ride a mod.If you are #1 you are probably not in the top 10 in UCI.

NATS= Some nice guys running a losely bound informal competion series
    who want trials to grow but are possibly the biggest detractors.If you are
    #1 you probably aren't in the top UCI top 200 unless you are J Van Sch.

Thats my political take on da ting!

5. afrobot

let the rants begin!!!! :bigthumb:

6. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

7. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

UCI: The biggest and most fair trials organization, also controls almost all cycling events in the world, cyclo cross, road racing, mountain biking, track racing, World Championships and Olympic racing. It is well organized. Events are usually held with other UCI events. The UCI does not allow you to use pedals or basguard without giving you dabs. Has produced some of the best riders in the world.

BUI: The biggest trials only organization. Started at a time when the UCI wasn't meeting the needs of trials riders. The BUI was a good answer to the UCI's lack of support. Latter it became more about riding for the right company or country and the rules were not equally applied to everyone. This is so well known that it has hurt the organization and caused a huge swing of riders back the to UCI. The UCI now dominates the world trials market. The BIU allows use of pedal and bashguards, with no dabs counted. BIU has produced some of the best riders in the world. They still put on great events and many riders enjoy the comps. Events are more stand alone trials events.

NATS: Not really an organization in the sense of the other two. It started as a result of NORBA turning it's back on trials riders in the US. Promoters put together a loose series of events to give the US some sense of a national series. They used mainly BIU rules...the same rules used by NORBA with a few exceptions. Has never caught on with the pro riders very few pro riders go to more than a few of the events in a year.

Because the NATS series is BIU it is very hard for a US rider to ride their events all year long and then do well at the UCI World Championships. It has to do with motorskills, what ever you practice is what you tend to do under pressure. And not many pro riders or junior riders are willing to ride the NATS series trying to use the UCI rules because they are trying to do well in the series and the courses are set up for BIU style of moves.

The result of the lack of UCI style comps at the national level makes the US riders level of riding at the UCI World Championships appear to be worse than it really is and we don't need that!

All of the NATS promoters are die hard supports of trials and most have been putting on events for years. Each event is a stand alone event, to find out which events are best for you ask other riders.

One last thing, NORBA has now come to their senses and are trying to get in step with the UCI on the issue of trials, this is the first year for a UCI style national series and a UCI style national championships to go with it. They have also been supporting the sending of a USA World Team to the UCI World Championships for going on 5 years.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

8. afrobot

I wish I could write something like Jimmy. I have a knack for inciting riotous responses. :Wavey:

9. RyanMcVicker

RyanMcVicker Well-Known Member

thanks, helped alot.

Are there any more? Or just uci, bui, norba/nats

10. sebLG

sebLG New Member

I AM GOING TO KILL YOU!!! :rant2: :rant: ... :wuteva: ... BIU = :barf: :barf: :barf:

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Theres that age old style- ride what the fuck ever you want and have fun doing it.

12. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

Ummmm, there' this guy named benito.....yeah, he's UCI and BIU 20" world champ. Just thought I'd clear that up. :slap:

13. DangerousDave

DangerousDave Active Member

Yea that #1 biu and not making the top ten uci thing...I'll let that go for stock...

But for mod chances are if your #1 in biu your #1 in uci and so forth.

But even in stock. Looking back to a few years old man Pi still beat Bruno and Vincent. Just thought I'd point that out. Although times have changed I'd say most of you wouldn't be here without biu/nats

14. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

I have to agree the BIU guys not in the top 10 at UCI events doesn't pan out. Currently there is little doubt the very best riders in the world are UCI riders, but I think it has to do with those guys and not the style. If they rode BIU style they would still be the top riders in the world. A few years back the top riders in the world were BIU riders, both styles take a lot of talent period!!!

I just happppppen to love the looks of the UCI style and believe that organization to be the one that will help trials riders out the most in the future.

But I can understand why some riders in some countries only ride BIU. By the way the BIU in the past did pressure their top riders to not do UCI events, I think that is over.

Both groups have dedicated riders and promoters.

Jim VanSchoonhoven

15. afrobot

I think up till now I've done a pretty good job of not talking out my arse!

Sorry :dunno:

I don't even own a bashring :D

16. jimmybikes

jimmybikes New Member

My comments are not meant as an attack at afrobot, I just feel both styles create great riders.

But I am with you, UCI all the way!!!

Jim VanSchoonhoven

17. nidoss

nidoss Guest

great explanation jim thanks