UCI switch?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by bwagner, Jul 2, 2004.

1. bwagner

bwagner New Member

UCI Frame switch?

Ok, Today I built up a Pure 1080. I built it just to see how bad my riding would suck on a longer wheelbase. Well, to my surprise, things were easier than I thought! Keep in mind that I'm only a sport level rider, but things that were much easier for me were pedal-ups, and staying on the rear wheel after I do make it up. I'm in the process of getting a Zoo pitbull 1060. I know there's a lot of controversy, but
    I really like the frame, but now I'm thinking I might just get a 1080 frame, or go for the 1090 pitbull. I think my bunnyhops might suffer, but after all it's a trials bike , not a bmx or street bike right? Anyone have any similar stories about making the UCI bike switch??

Last edited: Jul 2, 2004
    1 person likes this.
  2. AgrAde

AgrAde From your head to your fists

i got a pure 1080 and then discovered trials was easier than i thought it was.

3. Elan

Elan steve french

my cousin just got his desalvo (1085mm WB) built up today, and after riding a echo es3 and a px zebdi, i can see a noticiable difference in his riding. he is WAY more comfortable on rear wheel, where as on the shorter bikes he was allways nervous and wast comfortable at all. he is about 6'3" id say, and this bike obviously fits him way better. he also calims trials is easier than it was too.
    lets face it; if you are 5'8" and you are riding a bike witha 1090 wb you arent going to be too comfy on it, but depending on your height, a longer bike can only help you become a better trials rider. i suggest not buying a zoo at all.

4. bwagner

bwagner New Member

Oh, I'm only five foot eight inches. and I appreciate the tip on the Zoo, but I base my purchase decisions on my personal experiences, not the opinions of others. Please don't take this the wrong way, I'm not trying to be a dick, I'm just hardheaded, and I like to form my own opinions on products. Thanks for your point of view
    ~Bwagner

5. mikeschiavone

mikeschiavone Active Member

bruce

most people who are around the 5'10'' mark are putting 100mm stems on there long bikes. you could try a little bit of a shorter one.

btw, you rode great last nite. stay w/ a bike that long.

call me when you're done your car. i REALLY feel like riding today. like some real serious riding.

6. Elan

Elan steve french

straight from the mouth of vincent hermance when he saw a 5'8" fellow on a bike with a 1085 WB and noticed how he was riding: "this bike is too long"

Bruce, it isnt my opinion, it is fact that bikes can be TOO long for their rider. there is a reason marc caisso rides a bike with 1060 wb and not 1085 like everybody else. i know you arent trying to be a dick, but i thought i would point out htat this isnt just my opinion.

putting a 100mm stem or somthing on a px zebdi IMO would be completely pointless. unless you are a wee midget, you need somthing over 1035 in order to get the uci effect.

7. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Isnt vincent like 5'8 and on a 1090 wb bike?

I like the evewn extra longness of my BT and I am maybe 5'8

1 person likes this.
  8. Elan

Elan steve french

vincent is like exatly 6'0.

t oeach his own. just reporting what i have noticed. personally i would like to give a vinco a spin and see what that shit is like. i highly doubt i would like it though.

9. uownme

uownme get high and eat her

Where you way taller than me Elan? I remember Vincent being not being very tall, 6 foot could be right thoyugh.

10. ben@slctrials.com

[email protected] New Member

keep in mind that the pitbull has a higher BB, so its feel will differ than other bikes with the same wheel base. for ex. pitbull 1060 feels shorter than the old pure 1060

11. Elan

Elan steve french

i am about 6'0 too. like 5'11 3/4. haha.

12. EchoPure89

EchoPure89 Guest

yo

:drool: dood, im buying my friend tyler (5'11") a pitbull 1090 fur his B-day and later im gettin a 2004 pure 1085 (im 5'9" 3/4")... i really like the smily thingz. N E way, i rode a bmx bike, it suckd. then a mtb, better. but still suckd. then an xalp, awsm. Echo urban, really cool. then and now, pure 1060, fuckin amazing. my bike WB's went:
    900, 1030, 950, 1040, 1067.... then longer i get, the better. 'long' (1060) is really cool for natty, ez for big spans and stuff. and UCI is the shit. my 'long' pure 1060 has a 105x15 tryall stem on it. man this paragraph sux. :barf: <lol,....
    on this 'long' pure, i learnd how to touch hop (ez 3'5") and gap 6.75'...
    long is the way to go..
    and u guys made some good points.....

ECHO Pure, (later, 1085)
    size does matter

13. echoteam13

echoteam13 Guest

you are the most confusing writer i have ever read, ty. anyways, the reason i am going for the 1090 is, sure im 5'11'' or so, but on top of that i have long legs which push me far over the front end, so my neutral position on the 1060 pure is too far foreward... anyhoo, i was just trying to say that the leg-body length ratio is another thing to consider when choosing the length of your bike.

14. B1105

B1105 New Member

all of you cali kids are confusing writers....

anyway, i have been riding a short non-UCI bike(zebdi), and when i hopped on AndyTs XTP long, it was a totally different world, the longer wheelbase was noticeable going from 1030 to like 1090 or something. the stays are like 1/2 an inch shorter so it was much easier on the rear. i was only on it for 30 sec, but it was a super nice feeling

Last edited: Jul 4, 2004
  15. AndyT

AndyT New Member

you should feel it now...pure sekz

16. B1105

B1105 New Member

Hmm, maybe I will in august. I will probably be in Colorado Springs for Barnetts from Aug 1-13th, still tentative though

17. Spacemunkee

Spacemunkee Guest

has anyone seen the koxx days demo warm up? those french guys literally look tiny compared to their bikes wb and they were getting up stuff etc just fine... especially the guy in black jeans if i remember correctly he looked so wrong but could ride that bike all night long. Am i missing the point or is it just that they are french and we can blame them for being different in everything