UCI rule?

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by skibumintrialsfreak, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Does anybody think/know if the UCI rules will ever change to allow single speeds?

2. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

doesnt sound likely...

3. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

not any time soon. the way things are going the only real separation between mod and stock is just wheel size and gears. they dont call it mod and stock either its 20 and 26 but if you take away the gears, there is hardly anything holding a barrier between the two classes. there needs to be at least some sort of multiple levels of differences between the two.

4. felix

felix New Member

This year they even changed the rules, so that you have to run 6 cogs with different numbers of theeth. And you must be able to use all of the six.
    Before you only had to have six cogs, no matter what size they are.

5. hophopsnap

hophopsnap Well-Known Member

i wold have 6-7-8-9-10-34

6. TTownJon

TTownJon New Member

but why does there have to be the difference? Why isnt just the wheel size enough of a difference. The cog rule seems like a relic that is just a pain in the ass for stock riders, and very few seem to follow anyway. I mean, lets face it all the stock riders ride frames that you wouldnt be able to ride on trails. Whats the point of keeping the rule around?

just my ignorant 2 cents.

7. also the wheel size creates several differences like stem's, handle bars, frames, etc... plus the riding styles are different, just because of the wheel size

8. WhiteRavenKS

i didnt make the rules... i just have to follow them. it may be stupid archaic and outdated but they are still the rules. riders who want to ride uci must follow them.

9. piss off

piss off Guest

a stock is a stock if it had a gear....with no gear´s you can even ride mod...

10. afrobot

afrobot Aluminum is for recycling

Though I have been an advocate for SS superiority.After my last comp I added gears and actually like them.Sometimes it's nice to have a slightly harder gear for more speed on taps.Though I cant say it helped me acheive any better than LAST place??

11. TTownJon

TTownJon New Member

I wasnt attacking you, Im just wondering if there is a reason that I havent thought of, and making an argument for change in a system that I dont really understand or even really know that much about. ;)

Trust me, next UCI comp (Im a beginer who has only done one UCI comp and one comp total) I got to I will also be respecting the rules even if I dont agree with them.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2004
  12. WhiteRavenKS

i wasnt taking it as an attack, i was just saying- even if the rules dont make sense, riders who want to compete under that body need to follow them. pretty rediculous at times, especially the no disk brakes in cx fiasco. maybe some day when the us has like 5 straight uci world champ wins under our belt we can start to have some say as to what the rules should be, until then we just have to shut up and play along.

13. TTownJon

TTownJon New Member

What was the disk brake fiasco? Guess I missed out on that one.

I guess when you really stop to think about it its not really a big deal to have to through on a shifter and a few cogs for a comp - what does that translate to? 1/3 of a pound or something?

14. OTAdmin

OTAdmin Administrator Staff Member

Well, for me its not the weight or even the chance of landing on and breaking my derailleur/hanger.

What I don't like about multiple gears and a derailleur is that they're not as reliable as a horizontal dropout singlespeed setup. 99% of my riding is done outside of competitions and running two different systems sucks because if you want to change over before a comp you have to lengthen your chain and install the shit all over again a week or two ahead of time if you want to test it and ensure its reliability during the comp. So you may say "so what, just leave it on all the time". Well, then we go back to the less reliable system and increase the chances of chain skip and chain breakage when we do most of our riding. As someone who doesn't care about progression and definitely not their standings at comps (I just want to ride for fun, thank you) my main concern is not getting seriously injured. However, competing is probably one of my favorite things to do because I like riding different things, things I wouldn't normally see.

I have no problem paying comp entry and "competing" but not turning in a final score, taking a prize, or standing on the podium. I just want to ride the sections with my buddies. I don't see why this is a problem, and I haven't had working gears in like 2 years and I still compete, but I still have to have a chain tensioner because there aren't any mass manufactured trials bikes available with horizontal dropouts. There won't be any mass manufactured trials bikes with horizontal dropouts until there is a set of rules that allows the use of single speeds in competition. This is why I wouldn't mind seeing the rules changed. I'm not a "big player" (nor do I hold any influence in UCI rules), so I don't try to change the rules. There are a lot of people who take competing very seriously and I think they should be the ones who influence the competition rules board.

Please understand I'm not complaining, just pointing out why some of us want singlespeeds allowed in competition... I want horizontal dropout stock bikes available on-demand (i.e. not requiring a custom build from someone like desalvo).

Bill