turning on the rear wheel

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by klophaus, Jun 22, 2004.

1. klophaus

klophaus Guest

Well, I just saw myself ride on video for the first time and I noticed when I turn on the rear wheel I'm kind of jumping up and down slightly with my whole body and legs fairly bent. Watching some of the videos posted ( kevins how to ), it seems like people are keeping their legs almost straight and just using ankle movement to make small hops. Am I seeing this right? I've tried it and it seems alot more tiring.

I've been trying to keep my elbows at my sides and stay pretty vertical. I've heard this mentioned a bit, but want to get where I can turn on something really small like a pillar.

2. atypical

atypical Guest

What works for me is finding the most natural position on flat ground and then going to the structure. I haven't seen myself on video, but I think I am rather vertical, on top of my balance point, and I'm using my feet to turn along with the necessary handlebar dip. It all depends on your size, bike geo, and strength as to what will work best, but the path of least resistance is there somewhere and you'll get it- the little hops are actually more acurate and done with less effort when you're body is rather straight and you're on the balance point. Keep watching the vids and copy them.

3. Sonic

Sonic Plaid, I have not gone.

That's all Im doing too klophaus, watching vids and doing my best to emulate those who pivot so effortlessly with real small hops. My pivots require a circle about a foot in diameter, sucks. Plus I get so tired doing pivots, Im breathing but I feel like every muscle in my body is trying to throw it's weight to the direction Im pivoting. Makes for an exhausted body.

But practice, practice, like everything else it seems like no one can really tell you the perfect thing to do, practice wins out, for me at least.

4. klophaus

klophaus Guest

Yep, I'm at 1 foot diameter circle too. Feel like I'm swinging the rear too much instead of bringing the front around. I supposed it will come with time.

5. Andreas

Andreas All About Trials

I found that when I was learning to turn (still kind of am), that I always kept the front end to low, which made me have to pedal kick to keep up the front end. Because i was turning whilst pedal kicking, this made the back end swing over to either side (depends on which side you are turning). You will get a feeling that you aren't really turning around the front end, but rather pushing your back end around, much like Klophaus said. So, to try and fix this i just made sure to bring the front end up, that way i don't have to pedal kick to keep up the front end. This has helped quite a bit, but still, practice will help you much more than any tip i can give you.