Tryall rims and grinding???

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by FuzzyLogic, Sep 23, 2004.

1. FuzzyLogic

FuzzyLogic Guest

I'd like to know is it very bad for rim? And i also would like to know what will TRA, or some one with his level of riding will say about grin on tryall rims...

2. hydroboy

hydroboy "Jak se mas"

They grind easily, which means they wear quickly. The metal is soft, it will work but id go with a dx32 despite what everyone says about the tryalls width.

3. willapaj

willapaj New Member

I have no personal experience with the TryAll, but I've also heard the grind wears fast on them. The DX32 holds a grind real well though. And it's not like 39mm is skinny...

4. WhiteRavenKS

WhiteRavenKS Well-Known Member

the metal the try-all rims are made from has too much butter content. they are way too soft. i can lay down a harsh ass grind right before an event and by the time i finish the first round i dont have brakes any more. its really frustrating having to put down a grind every two seconds if you want to keep top notch braking. in comparison i could grind every couple of weeks with a dx-32... i love the stability of the try-all but i hate everything else about it.

5. Bigman 86

Bigman 86 Bigman, Because i am ;)

I agree with Kevin on this, i am runing a koxx rim and i love the width, makes the bike feel much more stable BUT with metal is so soft that a grind only lasts 5-6 hours of harsh riding, This realy pisses me off as after that my brake losses alot of it's pow3er, and i have yet to find a set of pads that work well on a koxx rim.

I would deffinatly recomend a DX32, Echo or an Onza ronnie (if u can get one) as they are alot stronger and can actualy sustain a grind for a great lenght of time.

6. felix

felix New Member

The Try All rims are the worst rims for grinds.
    You can grind it very harsh, as Kevin said, and after an hour of riding your brake hardly works.
    I use one of these great rims on the rear of my mod. It makes the bike very stable on the rear wheel, but that's the only possitive thing of this rim.
    I definately won't buy a Try All rim again!

7. WhiteRavenKS

if only they would just make it with a diefferent material. or if alex did a dx-50000 or something...

if there is one thing that just pisses me off and makes me not want to ride- it's brakes that are not absolutely the best. when i ride a comp and the first section my brakes are awesome and by the end of that round i have to ride conservative because my brakes are crappy... that is rediculous. koxx.... im beggin you- the trials world is begging you: make your rim out of a harder material!

8. AndyT

AndyT New Member

Werd kevin...when I had to bleed my brakes every 2-3 days I really didn't want to ride much.

Hopefully some real blood has fixed that.

9. Shipley

Shipley ..........

Water or Antifreeze mix?

10. Elan

Elan steve french

andrew ran tap water. it was funny.

11. AndyT

AndyT New Member

:hsugh: others ran it as well and have no issues ...

12. Shipley

Shipley ..........

The Antifreeze/distilled 50/50 mix has been doing pretty well not leaking... the straight distilled I ran needed bleeding pretty regularly though.

On topic a bit.. How often did Vince grind his rim while he was out on CO?

13. WhiteRavenKS

i dont know about vince but i saw the cousts grinding every other day in dry and every day in wet earlier this year. if it were easy/practicle for me to grind in my dorm i would every day if it meant having brakes that dont suck.

14. willapaj

willapaj New Member

damn... they must go through lots of rims... how many grinds do you think you can do before you start to compromise the strength? Of course it varies on how gnarly your grind, but most people go as gnarly as possible. Any idea? I've never had a rim last long enough that I ground away too much...
    Then again, I go weeks without grinding. Not as much riding as I'd like...

15. Blackstick

Blackstick Well-Known Member

I have done about 7 or 8 harsh grinds on my DX32, and its still fine (i think). Was definately considering getting a Try-all but now I'm not so sure.

16. AndyT

AndyT New Member

I'd say 40+ easy on a dx32. No idea on butter ... i mean try -all. I've switched wheels before the rim wore down on grinds.

17. WhiteRavenKS

i got about 8 weeks on a try-all rim grinding at least once a week (on some occasions it was 2 grinds a day, but mostly 2 grinds a week). it was still ready for more grinds but thanks to the amazing metal it was full of massive dents and flatspots.

i wore out one dx-32 from grinds, it took like 5 months of grinding once a week super harsh before it died.

18. willapaj

willapaj New Member

About what I figured...

19. digby

digby New Member

is tryall/koxx planning on redoing the rim in a harder material any time soon? I'm gonna need a new rim sometime in the next coupla months, I'd hate to buy a butter one, only to find out theyre redoing them the week after I get it laced up.

20. WhiteRavenKS

go figure- thats probably the only way we can get koxx to redo them is if we all buy the crappy version. if i stock up on rims for th eoff seasno im sure they will redo it.