Tryall Front Freehwheel cranks.

Discussion in 'Observed Trials Discussion' started by Rob.K, Apr 11, 2004.

1. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

I'm considering getting an FF setup on my bike and I wanted to know if anyone has used the tryall crank. And if so any problems like striping(like the Echo FF cranks.)

And is there a real difference between the square taper version and ISIS version, as far as performance goes.

Some information would be great, Thanks.

2. Elan

Elan steve french

i hear from a trusted source that the try-all FFW cranks in ISIS are HORRIBLE. i imagine the square taper would be ok, so thats what i would get.... square taper comes in a very limited range of brands for BBs though. i havent heard of any striping.

try-all isis = no
    try-all square= go for it

3. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

Wow Elan you have been so helpfull lately. :eek:

Thank you. I appreciate it. :bigthumb:

Does everyone else feal the same way Elan does?( about the crank)

4. Zyzzyx

Zyzzyx Guest

Okaaaay then. Just what is the problem that trusted source is having with the cranks?

Been using my Try-All ISIS FFW cranks for a couple months now, no problems.

Well, other than having to trim the inside of the cage on VP pedals so they'll fit.

5. [BMF] Chris

[BMF] Chris GTA MUTHER FUCKER!

yea, my pedals did that too, what a crappy desgin

6. Elan

Elan steve french

ask kevin shiramizu about try-all cranks.

7. cck

cck Member

i'm a freak about torquing my parts , and you cannot torque the tryall isis cranks. because they are not measured out properly for fitting onto any bb what so ever, i never reach a desired torque. once i get to a certain in. lb. limit, i cant go above that value and in effect cant torque them properly. therefore, i have no real way of telling where i should stop and this fucks with my chain line.

fuck vp pedals, i had the same problem. get wellgo mg-1's and jenson. 30$$ and are great!

other than that i dont have a problem witht the cranks, and would recommend them, if you have non vp pedals and spend a little time sanding down mismeasured isis inside the crank.

yay,
    cam

8. Faction Bike

Faction Bike Guest

There was one problem with these cranks that Koxx has since fixed on the new batch. It was the case that the threads for the freewheel were slightly larger than standard so you had to take down some of the thread to get it to work. After you do that, no problems. I have had no customers complain to me directly about problems with the cranks and I've sold close to 10 sets.

I think Kevin's situation was an isolated incident which is bound to happen the bike industry where everybody has to have their products made in overseas factories to be able to compete and bring you the product. This gives them less control over quality checking and lets some guff slip through. On top of this, Koxx will definately expedite a quick warranty if such a case were to occur and it was brought to their attention.

Anyway, Rob K, If you were looking for some quality front freewheel ISIS cranks, I would give these a try. If there are any problems, talk to me and I'll get you sorted.

Graham

9. seandom

seandom New Member

i got some isis ones, and they work just fine on my fsa bb. the only problem that i had was the mentioned one with my vp pedals. nothing a grinder won't fix tho

10. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

The ISIS cranks are poor fitting:
    1) I had to literally hammer them on the bb
    2) the pedal threads are too big so add a complete bottle of lock-tite to the cost
    3) the FW threading is too large, you gotta sand it down and slowly work the FW on, several hours work and a little creativity will do it
    oh ya - you gotta grind VP vedals to fit.
    But all three problems can be fixed, they are otherwise awesome cranks.

11. Elan

Elan steve french

holy shit, dont obther reading graham's post, cunt.

12. Rob.K

Rob.K Guest

What about the Square tapered versionis it lacking the problems of fitting onto the BB and getting VP pedals on.

I see Graham you have the square taper version on sale. If you guys recommend it over the ISIS version I'll buy it from Graham.

??????????????? :?

13. Fast Fashion

Fast Fashion Youth in Asia?

i have the square tapers with an eno freewheel. i'll probably never run anything else. I hear the isis ones are stiffer though, so maybe i'll switch someday. Something about a front freewheel just feels better, i don't know why.

14. unlearn

unlearn Member

the squares are just FSA's with a little machine work..in fact i think that they actually say FSA on the crank..if you gonna spend $, get the isis....from a strength wieght point of view, there is none better

oh yeah a graham is a sexukal freak so if you order these cranks make sure that they dont smell like poop shoot....just kidding grammy

15. willapaj

willapaj New Member

^
    as if FSA ever made a FF crank. The older Koxx TryAll cranks were very similar, but I'm pretty sure these ones are entirely different.

By the way, I'd like to hear just what problem Kevin had with his ISIS version...

16. cck

cck Member

he basically had very very hard time putting them on and taking them off

17. Bloodhound

Bloodhound Steffen L.T.

I talked to Kevin a while back about it, he had the exact same problems a me except his pedal threading was too small instead of too big.